Thread: Leopard 4082/Seaking 180 OSE Combo, good for FC 37" Daytona Cat?

Default Leopard 4082/Seaking 180 OSE Combo, good for FC 37" Daytona Cat?

Just browsing thru OSE trying to figure out what motor and ESC to power the FighterCat 37" Daytona hull i just bought and came accross the 4082/T180 1550KV Combo OSE has, say's for 32-40" inch hulls and 6s friendly. Anyways before i buy, gotta bunch of questions. First, what kinda speed would you see with that 1550KV motor on just 4s? 40 mph give or take?? Also, could that set-up be run on two 7-cell NIMH's from time to time with out destroying/over-working/over-heating the nickle batts.?? I like that it's ready to install, that would save some time, not that i'm in any hurry tho, winter is just about here! So if that is not a good motor/esc combo for my goals, what would work better? I've also been looking the Leopard 4074 1800kv motor, or the 3674 1700kv leopard. Again, my goals are 30's on (2) 7-cell NIMH's, around 40 on 4s, and 6s compatable if that is also possible. One last thing (maybe problem), i intend to use Traxxas connectors so i can run all batteries between the Daytona and Spartan, then i don't have to either cut up my batteries i already have, or cut up the Spartan and possibly void the warrenty. Thanks, i always appretiate the help you get around here!
    Last edited by Checkmateguy01; 10-17-2011 at 08:47 PM.

It's either the 4074 or 4082 that people put in the genesis all the time, it is a 6S setup at 1550kv and 4S/5S on the 1800kv.
    7S nimh will only give about 8.4 volts, not even comparable to the 22.2V of a 6S battery, you could run it, but it might not even get on plane, perhaps on 14 cells, but it would put a big strain on the nimh's.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaterguy View Post
    It's either the 4074 or 4082 that people put in the genesis all the time, it is a 6S setup at 1550kv and 4S/5S on the 1800kv.
    7S nimh will only give about 8.4 volts, not even comparable to the 22.2V of a 6S battery, you could run it, but it might not even get on plane, perhaps on 14 cells, but it would put a big strain on the nimh's.
    No, no, i would be running a total of 14 cells NIMH's, two 7 cell packs in series (16.8v), not just one 7 cell pack, lol i do know that much! Just to clarify!

well.. i was gonna say...
    It would put a load on the cells though

This is coming from someone with experience with the 37" cat. Run the 180 speedo with the Leopard 1550kv combo on 6s. Use an Octura X445 prop to start with the strut at neutral. Use an external BEC or a reciever pack. You ll get low 60's for speed and cool temps with plenty of room to prop up if you want a few more mph. Someone that doesnt have this boat or powertrain cannot comment on what will work. Sending pm.

i dont think that the 4082 would do you much good on 4S or your nihm batteries and i dubt youwil get 40 mph out of it
    if your options are 4s and 2 nihm packs i think you would be much better off with a 4074 2000kv,4074 2200kv or the 4082 2200kv.
    i can only speak for the 4074 2000 kv in the daytona\genesis cat and that works great on 4S and M645 witch gives speeds around mid 50`s.

klaus

Quote Originally Posted by video200 View Post
    i dont think that the 4082 would do you much good on 4S or your nihm batteries and i dubt youwil get 40 mph out of it
    if your options are 4s and 2 nihm packs i think you would be much better off with a 4074 2000kv,4074 2200kv or the 4082 2200kv.
    i can only speak for the 4074 2000 kv in the daytona\genesis cat and that works great on 4S and M645 witch gives speeds around mid 50`s.

klaus
    Thats moving pretty good on 4s!! But can it run NIMH's with out them ?? I guess i need a little education here since my view/desire to run 14 cell NIMH's all the way up to 6s at some point is a little optomistic since that's "technically" how the Traxxas Spartan is supposed to work (i know it really doesn't but). So i'm thinking i need to stay in the 1600KV-1800KV range to achieve the 30's on NIMH's and 40's -50's on 4s-6s, since that's what is in the Spartan. 4s and 14 cell NIMH's is what i'm gonna start with, 6s is a long way off and if i can't have that right now, no big deal. When i'm fun running at the lake house 50's mph is way overkill which is why i want to run the NIMH's. I have a 1898KV motor in my 32" Dumas mono, i've run that on 6 cell NIMH's (12 cell total) with an Etti 150 ESC and not had any issues, batts get hot but not extreme. Is it higher KV motors for "lesser" batteries, or lower KV motors for "lesser" batteries (does that make sense?)? I know it's funny, most people are looking for "all out how fast can i go", and i'm looking to slow down lol!

You could use 2 3s packs in series for 6s, drop them in the sponses for plenty of room. I'm running twin Turnigy 1400's on 6's and have yet to hit 50 but I'm close. I'm still fine tuning my hull and transmitter settings to get there, but it's within reach. As Larry stated, the 1550 combo is a great setup. Anything higher in kv on 6's and your pushing the limits of the 180a. I have two builds in the build section and numerous video's in the video section for some views. The single setup in my opinion is much more stable than the twin and a fun boat to drive in nice calm conditions. My choice to do twins is from being on Lake Erie and I needed something with a little more umph to handle the surface chop. To light and she's airborn and thats almost unavoidable here. My excess weight keeps her in the water( with a few exception's he he) and she'll handle some chop which is almost always pesent.

Yeah you definatly know what it's like running on lake water!! Erie is much bigger than what i run on, my lake is about 21 miles long 1/2 or so mile wide average. But i'm down in a small cove area, lake gets "calm" in the evenings but i have lot's of dock, boats, and lifts pertruding out in the lake, for saftey reasons i'd perfer not to go much over the 30's to 40. The SV27 and Spartan proved to be fast enough for me to be fun and draw a croud anytime i run them, but i love cat hulls and wanted something a bit bigger than the Mystic/Gieco/Motely Crew, hence the Daytona/Genesis. The NiMH's are nice for the added weight to keep the boats on the water, that's why i like them! I've been looking at some of the new RTR's and what they are running, even tho they are slightly smaller boats the Aquacraft and ProBoats are mostly running 1800KV motors and are 4s and NIMH campatable with only 60A ESC's. The T180 is probably overkill but shouldn't be a problem would it? I'm gonna forget about 6s right now, just concentrate on a good NIMH-4s motor/ESC.

The 180 will provide you room to grow. Use the nihm's, then look at some 2s 5000mah 30-40c rated packs. You'll love the speed pickup and still be below the threshold. They are quite cheap. Even used I'm seeing them for 20-30 each in various forms. Look on http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-ele...fixid=For_Sale. There wa a gentleman I spoke to about some new venom packs for $85 for the pair. They were a lower c rating, but for $40 each it was a good price. There are more as well so keep looking. Youll find what you need.

Or bump the nihm's to 10.8 and see an improvement also! http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-5000-1...flat-hump.html Hobbyparts has a huge sale on lipo's right now too!

Quote Originally Posted by jj2003 View Post
    Or bump the nihm's to 10.8 and see an improvement also! http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-5000-1...flat-hump.html Hobbyparts has a huge sale on lipo's right now too!
    Heck, for that price you might as well get the 4s setup with 2x2s http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...se-direct.html

Quote Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
    Heck, for that price you might as well get the 4s setup with 2x2s http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...se-direct.html
    Exactly! I'm not sure but I think he may be trying to avoid lipo's for the time being and just use the batteries from his spartan for cost.

The 180 will provide you room to grow. Use the nihm's, then look at some 2s 5000mah 30-40c rated packs. You'll love the speed pickup and still be below the threshold. They are quite cheap. Even used I'm seeing them for 20-30 each in various forms. Look on http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-ele...fixid=For_Sale. There wa a gentleman I spoke to about some new venom packs for $85 for the pair. They were a lower c rating, but for $40 each it was a good price. There are more as well so keep looking. Youll find what you need.
    Thats what i was thinking!! Room to grow with the T180. So should i go with the 1800KV 4074 or the 1550KV 4082?

Nope not avoiding lipos for cost, actually i just bought (a couple months ago now) a lipo ready charger and will be gettin a pair of 2s lipos for next season for sure. I plan on setting the boat up with the batteries in series. I want to run the NIMH's also for a few reasons, keep the speed down at the lake, weight, and becuase i have a couple good sets of 7 cells and want to keep using them!

Quote Originally Posted by Checkmateguy01 View Post
    Thats what i was thinking!! Room to grow with the T180. So should i go with the 1800KV 4074 or the 1550KV 4082?

Nope not avoiding lipos for cost, actually i just bought (a couple months ago now) a lipo ready charger and will be gettin a pair of 2s lipos for next season for sure. I plan on setting the boat up with the batteries in series. I want to run the NIMH's also for a few reasons, keep the speed down at the lake, weight, and becuase i have a couple good sets of 7 cells and want to keep using them!
    All good reasons! I would run the 1800kv. The 180 is good on those and on 4s still within its limits.

FE Calc shows roughly 112 amps with Octura x447 prop, and 75 amps with x442. 138 amps with a x450. Low to mid 40's with all. Thats on 4s, (14.8) 5000mah lipo's. Probably not as long a run times with nihm's and they will get hot the more prop you go.

Awsome, glad to have that settled, guess i'll go with the 4074 1800KV motor, sounds like the best of all worlds! If i run the x442 (i have a few of them) at 75 amps, the NIMH batteries shouldn't get much warmer than they do in the Spartan, sound right? Actually the Traxxas PowerCells get very hot in the Spartan, but my DTX5000's only get warm-meduim hot, and are faster (shorter run time tho). Looks like OSE has quite a few of the 1800's in stock, i'll be ordering one up real soon. Thanks for the help!

If my memory serves me well, the original motors were 1600kv. No one really knew what the ESC rating was. With the new Castle products, the motors are 1800kv and no one still really knows what the new ESC is rated at! . I know on my Spartan with the new stuff the batteries get hot but run times are about 7-10 minutes if I just goof off. Quite normal for Nihm packs. But the warmer they are the more power I get. At first launch, the boats gets up pretty good but wont jump. If I run her for 1-2 minutes, then bring it in for about another minute and then take it back out, it will launch hard and leap. With the lipo's she'll almost do a flip. I have a prather ss220 on her now and she smokes. No GPS yet as I'm giving her a clean paint job but in the next week or so I hope to on 6s, 5000mah 30c packs.

If my memory serves me well, the original motors were 1600kv. No one really knew what the ESC rating was. With the new Castle products, the motors are 1800kv and no one still really knows what the new ESC is rated at! . I know on my Spartan with the new stuff the batteries get hot but run times are about 7-10 minutes if I just goof off. Quite normal for Nihm packs. But the warmer they are the more power I get. At first launch, the boats gets up pretty good but wont jump. If I run her for 1-2 minutes, then bring it in for about another minute and then take it back out, it will launch hard and leap. With the lipo's she'll almost do a flip. I have a prather ss220 on her now and she smokes. No GPS yet as I'm giving her a clean paint job but in the next week or so I hope to on 6s, 5000mah 30c packs.
    Same expirience here! After a couple minutes the Spartan runs it's best! I just got my Castle motor and ESC back from Traxxas last week after my origional system took a dump after getting wet. Thanks to crappy weather i have not been able to run the new Castle electronics, but over all no matter what i love my Spartan. It is great at the lake and takes chop really well!! I'm looking foward to trying lipo's in it as well next season!

You'll like the new stuff! It performs well! Traxxas support was cool enough to put my aluminum jacket on that I purchased from OSE. And they clipped off my EC5 connector off the old ESC and put it in a plastic bag and gave it back to me! Not that it was a big concern, but I was surprised. Paintwork is done except for the clear. 2 more days of dry time and then some scuffing with a 3m pad. Wash and dry and clear. I'm excited! It wont look like a Spartan in color, just profile!

Yeah I was a little worried to send my motor to Traxxas with a $20 aluminum jacket on it but they assured me they would re-install it, and they did! You are right, their customer service is great, even tho I had to wait over a month to get my parts back, still can't beat free new electronics! Hopefully I'll get a chance to run the Spartan before the season is over.