Thread: Motor/shaft collet for Mystic 29

Default Motor/shaft collet for Mystic 29

My collet stripped last night. I had already ordered the nice three-piece stainless steel one with the separate brass collet piece from OE, but it's way too large (in diameter and length) to use in the Mystic.

I have a short Octura on the way from OE, as well as a longer stainless steel unit from Kintec. I refuse to pay over $23 for the ProBoat OEM replacement! (which is out of stock anyway) (...Unless no other one will fit!)

Does anyone know for sure if the short Octura will fit and clear the Mystic's mount, and is short enough to use with no alteration to the boat?

Thanks for any info,
    desmobob

I received the first of the two collets I ordered: the one from Kintec that looks similar to the Octura long, but has a cylindrical piece on the motor side rather than a hex-shaped piece. It fit but was a little long, so I chucked it in the drill press and shortened it with a hacksaw while it was spinning. I had to extend the set-screw flat on my motor shaft a tiny bit, but everything looks kosher now.

I'm thinking the short Octura will probably be a perfect fit, so once it arrives, I'll have it as a back-up.

Take it easy,
    desmobob

The Octura one will fit, you will just need to grind the set screw flush to the collet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottageboater View Post
    The Octura one will fit, you will just need to grind the set screw flush to the collet.
    That's good news... thanks for the info!

Take it easy,
    desmobob