Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transom fix

And at long last a video up on here of the Miss Behavin'
    Sorry its not better Mark used his phone at the last minute
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mvaX...&feature=feedu

First run since the fix and paint.

And one final thing that I had to make up,an extension to the strut.Due to my offset bracket sandwiched in between the transom and strut, the nose of the strut fell short of the stuffing tube so I had to make this little tedious thing from brass tube.
    extension 008.jpgextension 007.jpgextension 004.jpg
    I made the 9/32 & 5/16 5mm long and the 1/4 7mm long and soldered it together.It fits good.

I have same problem but now to short. Have bad vibration at strut. Filled w grease went away but now is back and there is a big wobble inside the strut w the shaft. I was going to use the same pc of alum to fill the gap in transom but how do I fix the vibration. Do they make a bearing for the shaft. I see kintec has an aftermarket one. Also my MG does not have a hole for the grease gun in the strut. Is that normal or is it an older model that sat around. Any help would be great. Thx

I ended up getting a strut from Randy http://www.bbyracing.com/ It has two bearings but you really better have the prop S&B down pat.
    new strut 031.jpg

You have done a nice job with the transom Shawn, in your video in run smooth well done

Thanks Boyzie,I should probably do another one soon as it has improved since then.

I looked on the page and no bushing for sale. Does anyone know where to get the bushings that go in the MG strut. Pro oat does not show it in the parts in back. Not even shown at all. I see kintec has one , anyone tried it. Where ca. I get the stock bushings? Thx

Pulled it apart after listening. The grinding / vibration is at the bend after the stuffing box. W lots grease goes away again. Grease was almost gone again after just a few runs. I think may be shaft is bent. How would I know if I had the old shaft that was a problem on the early ones. Thx

Looks like a cracked tube when I pumped grease in I noticed a crack in the paint at the stuffing box. Broken tube maybe. The shaft grinds as it goes by it and all the grease I put in last time was almost gone. I think I broke the shaft tube. That looks like fun to replace, I guess I'll find that thread now.

Did you find a thread on stuffing box removal?

Boat guy, I cant imagine you breaking a tube. Dont go back to the stock bushing. Get a Kintec, or you can get the teflon bushings ose sells. Either option is better than stock. If for some reason you have to remove the tube, heat and pateince and it will come out.

Hows the shaft itself look? Any broken windings or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Boat guy View Post
    Pulled it apart after listening. The grinding / vibration is at the bend after the stuffing box. W lots grease goes away again. Grease was almost gone again after just a few runs. I think may be shaft is bent. How would I know if I had the old shaft that was a problem on the early ones. Thx
    it would be wrapped reverse, or as a right lay cable. Hold the cable at either end and let it hang to the floor. Look at the windings, if they go up to the left, its correct and a left lay cable, if they go up to the right, its a reverse cable and wrong cable

Thanks for stepping in here Scott.I'm stupid busy at work right now.You should see this house.

Thanks scott, I find it hard to believe also but there is a crack in the tube, I think. It looks like all the way through the paint and everything. I covered the other end and grease came out the crack in the yellow paint. It is impossible to see w out removing the yellow paint on the tube. I think it came from the crack, I may wipe it clean and watch this time, I was not expecting it so I noticed after I used the grease. The cable looks to be going the right way and no marks or anything on the shaft. It looks perfect no broken wires. It makes a scratching noise as it passes the stuffing box when putting the shaft back in. I noticed that after spotting the grease coming out and did it a few times to see where the noise came from and it was right at the crack in the paint on the shaft. When its full of grease if sounds perfect but it must be coming out fast w the crack in it. No water is coming in since it is full of grease.
    Second or 25th I lost count you live near me in SRQ is there a hobby shop that carries Kintec parts or do I need to order all that. On there web page it sent me to Gator Hobbies to buy it but they do not have any parts for Kintec in stock. I wanted to get the offset and busing from there web site so as to not have to do this again.
    One last question for Scott, I have worked w fiberglass for years so I was thinking to get some carbon fiber for hatch like yours. I was reading around and it seems many have cracked on a good crash and nose dive. I am having problems finding CF sheets it here locally. Had one yard of 3-M and they sold it before I could get there, do you know if anyone carries in in SRQ?
    Thanks for the help, I know I have a lot of questions that you may have seen before but I am knew to electric boats and the learning curve is steep compared to cars.

Theres no shops that sell exact kintec stuff, but Phils Hobbies is in Pinellas park off park blv. hes got shafts props stuffing tube material etc. If its just tube you need, ace hardware will have it. Its all the same stuff, K&S tubing. I think I have enough CF to sell you a piece without you having to spend the $ on a full roll. Hit me up in a PM or something and maybe we can get together. Im in Parish about 20 min north of you. Ill be off Beeridge tomorrwo am and heading to Clark rd after that mid day to run to a fiberglass shop, however they do not carry CF. I order all mine in from Ohio.

Come to think if it, I think I have a geico stffing tube I pulled out of my twin. If I kept it your welcome to it.

EDIT: confirmed. Just put it in my hand, stock tube w/ liner, unharmed. Removed it because I made it a twin drive. Best part is its already bent and cut to length.

Thanks. That would be great. Found some CF at a fiberglass supply. They said another guy was there looking for same thing. I will give a close look at the tube to see if cracked through. I'll send you a PM later. Thx a bunch for the help. May have more questions when I get to the tube. Do you live in Srq?

How do I know if my shaft is bent. Went through it all and the shaft does have a wobble when the prop is off. How do I know if it's bent. Pull it out and roll it flat on a table.

Quote Originally Posted by Boat guy View Post
    How do I know if my shaft is bent. Went through it all and the shaft does have a wobble when the prop is off. How do I know if it's bent. Pull it out and roll it flat on a table.
    You got the idea. I would just order another one.Should have a backup anyway.That wobble will tear out the strut.And the lead teflon bushings will be done in one one run.

nice boat dude

Quote Originally Posted by justin08 View Post
    nice boat dude
    This thread started almost 3 years ago in 2011, the last entry was dated 5-25-2012.

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    This thread started almost 3 years ago in 2011, the last entry was dated 5-25-2012.
    He was looking for ideas. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    He was looking for ideas. ;-)
    I didn't mean to poke fun at him, when I started I would never check the date and as a result I didn't get some of the answers which I was looking for.
    No offense to anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    I didn't mean to poke fun at him, when I started I would never check the date and as a result I didn't get some of the answers which I was looking for.
    No offense to anyone!
    It's All Gooood

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    It's All Gooood
    Thanks!
    I was so wrapped up with the date that it did not occur to me that you were the OP, with 4,300+ posts , of course you would have responded. So once more I say sorry, no disrespect to you, sir!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12