Thread: New Member Here

Default New Member Here

Hey guys,

I am new to RC Boat’s, but not new to the RC Hobby. I have been in a hobbyist my whole life. I got my first aftermarket prop by reading through the forum.

I have a Spartan Traxxas (old version) I bought on eBay for great price. The previous owner had drilled out the water pick in the rudder and installed a larger diameter cooling tube throughout. Great boat great price, super-fast right out of the box, fantastic fun!

Now in an attempt to make it faster on the top end I have upgraded the propeller. I upgraded my the prop to an Ocutra M445. Now I am having difficulty keeping the boat top side. This thing wants to jump out of the water every time I squeeze the trigger. Needless to say I have got bitten by the mod bug. And need to dial it down and adjust some things.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lamg55

Hay and also welcome,I also have a spartan well just the hull,But I can give some nice advice,I did have a sv27 that I put a ul'1 in and it would jump out the water so I just added a bag of alenwrenches to the front inside untill I got the right weight, it was simple and easy ,Than my sv would stay in the water,Well I hope this will help

Only try alittle weight at a time ,So you don't heat anythink up,

If it still has the original esc and motor it might be asking for trouble. Ive never owned one but from what Ive read they are notorious for going up in flames. What gear is installed in it?

Quote Originally Posted by kendt View Post
    If it still has the original esc and motor it might be asking for trouble. Ive never owned one but from what Ive read they are notorious for going up in flames. What gear is installed in it?
    sorry lamg55 I miss read the post
    Last edited by CHUD; 10-05-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Well i use a turnigy 4074 in my mono which is similar in size to the spartan and it flies for sure. When i finish getting it dialed it should be a rocket on rails.. I run 6s..If thats your plan you wont be disapointed. What do you have for props?? if tested a few so far and i just got four more to try so I might be able to give you a bit of direction with that.

Welcome to the forum.

Check your strut angle by placing a straight edge along he bottom of the hull. The strut should be at neutral (straight) or just very slightly up or down (positive/negative trim).

Shouldn't be more than .5 - 1mm high or low off neutral at the far end of the strut.

Check the owners manual (available online if you don't have one) for more info on adjusting strut angle.

Kevin

I would suggest removing the stock trim tabs(if they are still on) and getting a set of adjustable split tabs. They can help a lot with stability.

Dont start from a standstill at full throttle. Get the boat on plane, then, let it eat. Should keep it from turning over.

Well i use a turnigy 4074 in my mono which is similar in size to the spartan and it flies for sure. When i finish getting it dialed it should be a rocket on rails.. I run 6s..If thats your plan you wont be disapointed. What do you have for props?? if tested a few so far and i just got four more to try so I might be able to give you a bit of direction with that.
    yes 6s is good

I have read about the "fires" also. I have seen a LIPO fire first hand. WOW what a fire ball!!! It happened to the first set I ever had. Tthey were given to me used and one already puffed. Thank god I took out the batteries out from the boat. I still have a nice burn mark on my dock were it happened. LOL

Gears? Dont have any. Its a straight shot to the drive shaft and out the back of the boat to the prop.

Sounds good thank you.

I have a set of ebay bought 3s 5000mah 20c.

What does the 20c -30c - 45c mean?

Thanks again.

There is a video of a guy on the firghtercat forum who had a nasty figher in his boat. It was a shame too because it was i nice cf cat. Not sure how it happened though cause i dont speak chinese...lol

Yes! Thank you it is seems as though I cant gun it like is used from a stand still anymore. I cant believe changing something so simple as just the prop would make such a dramatic difference!

I set up a friend with a X442 prop and on 6S2P the boat is a rocket. I think you have it over proped for a 6S setup. If you are running 4S I tried, do not know your problem.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

I would suggest removing the stock trim tabs(if they are still on) and getting a set of adjustable split tabs. They can help a lot with stability.
    I bought a second set of trim tabs identical to the ones I already have installed on it. Someone on here as this setup. I might try to doing that this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by dag-nabit View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Check your strut angle by placing a straight edge along he bottom of the hull. The strut should be at neutral (straight) or just very slightly up or down (positive/negative trim).

Shouldn't be more than .5 - 1mm high or low off neutral at the far end of the strut.

Check the owners manual (available online if you don't have one) for more info on adjusting strut angle.

Kevin

Thank you all for your comments!

By the way what is it called when the boat sways from side to side... port to starboard... (haha nautical) terms at speed?
    Is that called walking?
    And if so how do I go about getting that fixed?
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    No suggestions as I dont have a Spartan, but, welcome to the forums and the FE addiction.
    -Scott
    Thanks!

Glad to be here. Man your boats are wicked!

Quote Originally Posted by lamg55 View Post
    Yes! Thank you it is seems as though I cant gun it like is used from a stand still anymore. I cant believe changing something so simple as just the prop would make such a dramatic difference!
    Changing the prop is potentially one of the most dramatic changes you can make with a very simple change.

With a powerful enough setup, and the right prop, you can get RC boats to literally jump out of the water if you gun it from a stand still.

Kevin

@lamg55.....
    Scott Spartan#1: castle hydra ice 240 castle 2200 Prather 220 turnigy 5.0 45c lipos with max amps water pump... Spartan#2: leopard 1800, octura 440 ,traxxas 8400 mah 25c lipos.....updated deeper hull....