Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Gimp's 37" Fighter Cat Daytona

Damn, that sucks man!! Doesn't look good, scrapes and chips can be fixed tho, but did it do any major structural damage that would take it out of commision for good?

I think what happened was the rudder bolt sheared (like it should) and I think I tried turning. Turning made it flip, must have been more boulders there. It all happened in a split second, very unlucky timing I guess.

Not sure what I'm going to do about it yet. I guess I have the winter to figure it out and fix it. Luckily there's no fiberglass damage, as far as I can see.

In the mean time, take it back out and run it. Unfortunately, stuff happens... and always to something youve put a lot of time and money into. But if it is structurally sound and didnt crack anywhere to let water in, get it back out and run it. Like Check said, it can be fixed. Dont let a scratched boat keep you from enjoying it.

Yea that's what I think I'll do. Sand the bad spots and make them smooth so it's runnable and maybe just throw a coat of leftover paint on the bad spots to seal her up. I have a feeling I will redo all the paintwork in the spring when the weather's nice.

In the meantime...... I picked up a used Pursuit hull/hardware earlier this week that I don't really plan on keeping very long. Maybe I'll toss the electronics in that, just until she's repainted.

I agree with tiq',run it now the first scratch is done.You gotta give it a once over again later so "run her like you stole her".Or something like that.

Really sucks about the rocks under the surface. It looked like such a great place before! I think swapping your electronics into the mono for the winter sounds great. Maybe even keep the mono just for testing new locations or for during the off seasons.

Sorry to see that happend,, i hit a turtle once with my Miss Elam and it jumped a foot out of the water and bent the rudder back and almost ripped it out of the hull but it happens, so dont not run cuz of that, its just cosmetic..

Well pretty soon the water around here will be frozen over for the next month or two, so this couldn't have come at a better time.

In the spring I will re-shoot this boat. I'll be stepping away from the Geico theme and going for a Shelby Performance theme (which is much closer to my original idea). I've already purchased some Shelby decals from ebay, was afraid the same ones may not be there when I'm ready for them. I'll need a few Fighter Cat decals and some hatch/vent decals from Jeff.

Pretty excited to start working on the Shelby theme

Can't wait to see the new look in the spring!
    At least the damage wasn't this bad!

Got the scoop opening closed up and was able to install them. Everyone seems to leave them CF, mine will be painted the same color as the hull.

Hull is completely sanded down and the one spot the FG was damaged is now epoxied. Short of a couple decals and some final sanding, she's ready for paint.

Well, here's the new paint. Wet sanding and polishing will be done in two weeks.

Thanks Scott!

I also got to meet Scotty Begovich (Miss Geico throttle man) this weekend at the Atlantic City boat show. Honor to meet him and the nicest guy. Had a nice conversation about my Fighter Cat lol

That looks great Gimp.A rebirth in brighter color.

Thanks Slash!

Forgot to mention, I had a little help... My girlfriend of 4 years now did the scoop "hole" paint, the front flag (had to paint the squares black so they weren't blue), and gave the boat a name. You can see "Little Miss Karen" behind the starboard side scoop (in line with the engine bay decal).

Timeline:
    2 weeks - wet sand/polish
    4 weeks - maiden in South Carolina!

wow dude hull looks great

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    wow dude hull looks great
    Thanks Steve!

Wow Chris that looks great!! Really love the blue! Can't wait to see it on the water again. I see some movies being made with it during the summer! haha

Looks awesome! IMO much better than the Geico theme.

This blue is very nice, Shelby scheme is a good idea

Thanks guys, the girlfriend actually picked this shade of blue.

Just one thing, the design of the window/cockpit. I prefer he design like on my Genesis
    Attached Images Attached Images

I agree with Alfa on the windsheild but man that looks sweet and im glad you didnt do the blue and orange thing!!!!

I didn't like the windshield at first, but they grew on me. I actually like the split window design better, has more character I guess.

Looks great Gimp!! Gorgeous blue, really looks sharp on the Daytona hull!! Nice job man!! I'll have pics up soon of mine, i've got about 5 coats of clear on it now, gonna level wet-sand then add at least a few more coats of clear, then sand-polish!

Quote Originally Posted by Checkmateguy01 View Post
    Looks great Gimp!! Gorgeous blue, really looks sharp on the Daytona hull!! Nice job man!! I'll have pics up soon of mine, i've got about 5 coats of clear on it now, gonna level wet-sand then add at least a few more coats of clear, then sand-polish!
    Thanks check! I think I ended up with 6 total coats of clear. I'll be sanding and polishing in 2 weeks, then it's spring break in SC for a maiden!

Well here's the final product. Wet sanding and polishing is done along with a slight new ESC layout.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast