Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gimp's 37" Fighter Cat Daytona

Default Gimp's 37" Fighter Cat Daytona

Hull is being built by the one and only Tiqueman!
    FC Daytona Hull (FG)
    Carbon Fiber reinforcement
    T-180 ESC
    Leopard 4074 2200kV
    Running on 4s to start (will try 5s or 6s setups next year)

FC 3/16" Strut
    FC 115mm Rudder (offset) mounted to transom
    .187" Flex
    Water cooled carbon fiber motor mount
    Carbon fiber battery trays

Goal is to be consistent 50-60mph range.

Haven't decided on paint yet. Thinking either a Ford GT theme or Kevin Harvick Budweiser NASCAR theme...

Awesome Project! A Ford GT Theme would look great!

Pics will be up as soon as parts are recieved. Ive had a hull sitting around for a while, so Chris has purchased it. As he said, it will have carbon fiber installed, single drive, pretty basic build with some added "bling". Its going to be a good running boat. A member in our local club had one with the 2000kv in it and it ran about 50 on 4S. Good running set up /w/ this hull.

Ford GT would look real nice Chris. Met. Blue and white... real nice.

Great! Very nice cat with red paint Hydrolift theme would be fine. 2200kV on 4S will work but the best setup for the Genesis cat are 6S (1500kV BL motor) or 8S (1200kV BL motor)

A Hydrolift-Logo 5.jpg

i put a 200a Suppro and Leopard 4047 2200kv in my Genesis on 2x5s 5000lipos in parallel and her first run un tuned hit 51.8 mph!!!! very cool.. not to forget youve got the MAN building it for ya so it will be sweet!!!

Thanks fellas!
    The 4s setup will probably be pretty temporary, it's just what I have now. I would like to try a 1800kV setup on 5s so I can at least use half of my batteries lol.

The Ford GT theme is getting a lot of feedback, may have to go that direction. I guess there's already enough Bud boats lol.
    I have 4 color choices in mind....

blue/white (maybe even silver)

white/blue

silver/black

heritage blue/orange

This is gonna be a sweet looking boat.
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

Fountain P1 racing boat with blue and orange Ford GT40 is amazing

MHZ Racemaster 2.jpgMHZ FOUNTAIN 41.jpg

I know the direction this is going now. Heritage blue/epic orange is my definite decision. I want the #6 decals the exact same style too!

Now I just need my Grandfather to shoot it.

Just picked up some Gulf decals

This is going to look sweet Gimp! Can't wait to see the progress on this.

I decided on the FC37 over the MG for the same reason as you, I wanted a boat that would work well in the chop on the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaGriz View Post
    This is going to look sweet Gimp! Can't wait to see the progress on this.

I decided on the FC37 over the MG for the same reason as you, I wanted a boat that would work well in the chop on the lake.
    AWESOME! When are you getting one?

I also think the FC looks more accurate to the 1:1, and even more bad ass!

Quote Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
    AWESOME! When are you getting one?

I also think the FC looks more accurate to the 1:1, and even more bad ass!
    I totally agree, and a scale look is important to me.

Don't you remember the pics I showed you on RCC? I bought a used FC37 Daytona with Leopard 4074 2200KV and Seaking 180. Were practically going to be twins.......

0011.jpg 0012.jpg0013.jpg

I totally agree, and a scale look is important to me.

Don't you remember the pics I showed you on RCC? I bought a used FC37 Daytona with Leopard 4074 2200KV and Seaking 180. Were practically going to be twins.......
    Man that's freakin awesome! Did you just get it or have you been hiding it? This is going to be a really cool "twin boats" build. Really sucks we're so far apart haha

Man that's freakin awesome! Did you just get it or have you been hiding it? This is going to be a really cool "twin boats" build. Really sucks we're so far apart haha
    I got it at the beginning of September. I have not posted anything on it yet because I'm still trying to decide on paint and I can't afford a pair of 4S batteries for it yet. I hope to get it in the water at least once before winter sets in.

I agree, sucks that we are so far away from each other.

I got it at the beginning of September. I have not posted anything on it yet because I'm still trying to decide on paint and I can't afford a pair of 4S batteries for it yet. I hope to get it in the water at least once before winter sets in.

I agree, sucks that we are so far away from each other.
    You don't need 4s. Just use decent output (above 30c) 2s in series. I use Gens Ace 5000mah 40-80c and Turnigy Nano-Tech 5000mah 45-90c. Most guys run batteries in series, for the most part. The boats with twin setups need 4-6s batteries, that way they aren't running 4 smaller batteries.

Next season I think I'm going to try a 5s setup, running 3s in the left sponson and 2s in the right (should help a lot with torque roll). I don't want to go 6s because all my 2s batteries will be useless lol, I'll just need to pick up a few 3s packs.

You don't need 4s. Just use decent output (above 30c) 2s in series. I use Gens Ace 5000mah 40-80c and Turnigy Nano-Tech 5000mah 45-90c. Most guys run batteries in series, for the most part. The boats with twin setups need 4-6s batteries, that way they aren't running 4 smaller batteries.

Next season I think I'm going to try a 5s setup, running 3s in the left sponson and 2s in the right (should help a lot with torque roll). I don't want to go 6s because all my 2s batteries will be useless lol, I'll just need to pick up a few 3s packs.
    I want to run 2 4S packs in parallel because I have a long distance endurance run planned for next year and I'll need all 10k mAh. Plus the 4S batteries will be useful in my crawlers.

I'm tempted to buy some 2S batteries and run them in series just to get it going sooner. Like you said, they would work out for a 5S setup also if I decide to go that way. There was a pair of 2S batts in the classifieds I've been wanting but I just missed out on them.

Either way my fun money has been used for other stuff lately. Drag racing season just ended this past weekend so I should have some money free up soon now.

Ironically, I think the 2s packs in the swap shop you were refering to were mine. I've got a set left I may be parting with. Ill let you know first papa if I decide to sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Ironically, I think the 2s packs in the swap shop you were refering to were mine. I've got a set left I may be parting with. Ill let you know first papa if I decide to sell them.
    I think you did have a set I was watching. Please do let me know if you decide to get rid of them, I appreciate it tiqueman.

Gimp, I was telling you that I was playing with tape on mine. Here is what it looks like now. Not stunning but better I think. Still a work in progress before I decide to paint it.

IMG_0004.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Thats clean looking Papa-G, Very nice!
    Thanks. Even though I don't really like the red, the black gave it a nice look I think.

I was telling Gimp that I was trying to decide between a simple paint scheme or a more complicated one like Aquamania. I am curious to see how Gimp's turns out because it is similar to one idea I had and it may sway my decision.

The black breaks up the red nicely. Mine may not be painted until the winter holidays, just a heads up. I still need to talk to my Grandad.

The black breaks up the red nicely. Mine may not be painted until the winter holidays, just a heads up. I still need to talk to my Grandad.
    Fine with me. Mine won't be painted until spring then.......

Gettn ready for some CF work. My intention is to lay up a layer of 5.7, then once the stuffing tube is installed lay up another layer just on the tunnel. Not so much for more strength but just to clean it up, go up and over the stuffing tube a little bit, hide any bare spots etc.

I talked to Chris and I was going to ay it up w/ a sweet orange black C/K I got, but not really happy w/ the way it looks once wetted out. The orange really darkens and kills the bling factor. I did some motor mounts for someone, they turned out ok. Perhaps a hull lay up would look a lot better but I decided to try it on one of my own hulls first to see how it comes out...

I hope to have Chris's build done by the end of the weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wasn't expecting this today, what a nice surprise! Can't wait to get back on the water!

Looks incredible Scott!

Chris, shot you a PM earlier. After further pondering, I do not want to use the hardware supplied. the reason being, the rudder is too far forward using the "v" bracket type center mount rudder. And, the bracket is taller than the transom. Ive already spoken to Benjamin about it. He also said hes not recommending that combination any longer. Im going to mail that hardware back to Ben and hes going to ship me the new. hes also got offset brackets that hopefully will be in stock next week. If not, we can use Octura stand-offs as I did on my DF cat. (see pic)

Hope to have the new hardware tomorrow from FC. Until then I did get a couple little things done today in effort to help complete the build and ship it out this week. Got the stuffing tube bent to where I believe its got to be, made the hole in the hull for it to pass thru and installed the steering rod seal and transom water thru hull fitting (bulkhead fitting). Also modded the motor mount sides a bit to help the motor get to a better suited angle.

Not very exciting stuff, but progress non the less

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast