Thread: Solinger Hardware for Small Hydros?

Default Solinger Hardware for Small Hydros?

Hi Guys, I just bought the Solinger HW and I just realized that the rudder looks too large and is set back 2.25 inches away from the transom. That seems too far back away from the transom for such a small hydro like the DF 22 Vortex Hydro. It seems to me that the hull might lose stability on the turns with this set up. I thought for hydros, you want the rudder closer to the transom...
    What do you guys think? What's been your experience with the Solinger HW on the DF Vortex Hydro?

I run Solinger hardware on a 27" rigger. You can mount the rudder arm higher on the strut (use the top strut screw vs the bottom one). However, after doing this, I still cut 1/2" or so off the bottom of the rudder and had to re-drill the water pickup hole and JB weld the hole that was exposed on the underside of the rudder. Not that hard to do, but I hated doing it as Joe's work is terrific.

Joe-if you're out there...would it be easy to drill the water pickup hole a little higher on the rudder blade to give a little more flexibility on rudder length??

I use solinger hardware on a BBY Volcanic Splash which is of similar size to the vortex and it works great,lightweight and easy to install.The boat turns like it's on rails..
    Just mount the bracket as high on the transom as posible..

Heath

Thanks for the advice, D. Newland and Heath M.

Let me clarify my initial thread to everyone by stating that the hardware appears to be of exceptional quality. It's just that the rudder seemed to be larger than I anticipated for a small 22" hydro. I guess it would be at home for a larger 24-28" hydro. However, I am going to still use it and take your advice - if it needs to be trimmed back I'll just do it after I test it out. Mounting it on the second rail does make a difference.