Thread: Drive shaft stub question

Default Drive shaft stub question

I need to install a new flex shaft in my Mystic 29. I looked at the upgraded Miss Geico shafts that OE sells (I had read that the Mystic uses the same flex shaft as the MG), but the shaft stub is only 2.25" long. I just replaced the bushings in my Mystic strut and found that the stock drive shaft stub (2.5") just reaches into the front shaft bushing. The shorter stub on OE's upgraded shaft will not ride in the front bushing. This doesn't seem like the right situation....

Do I need to order a standard pre-fabbed .150-3/16 flex shaft and cut it to length, or can I use the standard Miss Geico shaft set, or OE's shaft set with the shortened stub? (I have an assembled Miss Geico shaft on the way from Kintec.) I'd prefer to order from OE.

I need to get this sorted out and have parts in hand before next weekend!

Thanks as always for the helpful advice,
    desmobob

Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
    I need to install a new flex shaft in my Mystic 29. I looked at the upgraded Miss Geico shafts that OE sells (I had read that the Mystic uses the same flex shaft as the MG), but the shaft stub is only 2.25" long. I just replaced the bushings in my Mystic strut and found that the stock drive shaft stub (2.5") just reaches into the front shaft bushing. The shorter stub on OE's upgraded shaft will not ride in the front bushing. This doesn't seem like the right situation....

Do I need to order a standard pre-fabbed .150-3/16 flex shaft and cut it to length, or can I use the standard Miss Geico shaft set, or OE's shaft set with the shortened stub? (I have an assembled Miss Geico shaft on the way from Kintec.) I'd prefer to order from OE.

I need to get this sorted out and have parts in hand before next weekend!

Thanks as always for the helpful advice,

desmobob
    You will find if you use Octura cable and stub shaft, it rides just shy of the stock front bearing, what I did is remove the stock bushings and ran a drill bit in a drill press into the strut and removed the inner stop for the bushings, then the strut will take 3 Octura Lead Teflon Bushings in the strut, this works much better and it supports the stub staft better! remember to spread the Octura bushing a little for a snug fit!
    There is no replacement for displacement, I guess I just have to Buzz it higher!

I received my new Hyperformance .150" flex shaft (uncut) and a Miss Geico upgrade shaft. The MG shaft is very nice, but the stub is too short to reach the front bushing in the strut. Rather than attempting to drill out my strut a bit to allow for another bushing at the front end, I decided to try my luck in soldering/cutting the Hypeformance shaft. At some point, I'll pick up a second strut and counterbore it so the pre-fabbed Ms. Geico shafts will fit and ride on an added front bushing.

I practiced on the Hyperformance shaft's excess length and my StayClean flux and StayBrite silver solder worked easily. (I had sprayed the flex shaft thoroughly with brake cleaner and wiped it down with a clean rag). I then tried again just up from the point where I needed to cut it. No problem. I did find that the shaft needs to be laying flat when this is done, or it will bend. Mine was not properly supported and bent, but the bend was well ahead of where I needed to cut it. I had applied the heat (propane torch) well ahead of where I needed to cut it so as not to heat-damage the shaft.

I cut it off with a Dremel and the shaft looked like solid metal at the end after it was cut, so I guess the silver solder penetrated well. I guess the real test will be at the lake, but it looks like a successful operation to me....

A then took the Mystic's original shaft, which had a broken/loose wire near the collet end, and attempted to re-solder it. I wiped it down with alcohol, sprayed it thoroughly with brake cleaner a couple of times, and had at it. No luck. Too much grease and/or not enough cleaning.

Take it easy,
    desmobob

so the mg shaft will not work for the mystic?
    Aqua craft motley crew, Supervee 27 brushless, mrc nordic old school (restoration project)

Quote Originally Posted by sonny1717 View Post
    so the mg shaft will not work for the mystic?
    The stock shafts are the same ProBoat part number.

Take it easy,
    desmobob

I ordered a new flex shaft(mg 29 part) for my mystic due to broken wire and its the same part fits perfect. I also went ahead and ordered a new shaft liner (mg 29) and this would not fit into the mystic's stuffing box. anybody know why this is?