Thread: TRAXXAS spartan help

Default TRAXXAS spartan help

Ok bud's I'v picked up a new Traxxes spartan from slowride ,I do not know anything about them,I know it 36long and 9'' 1/2 wide has anyone ran this think stock,and if so what motor went in it,and speedcontrole a link to get them would be nice to,And if anyone has info on a motor that will move the boat at least 50 and 60mph please drop me a line,

If you go further down the page to RTR theirs a dedicated section re the Spartan to which theirs lots of info on stock through to modded Spartans, Probably the best place to ask about the Spartan as well. Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    If you go further down the page to RTR theirs a dedicated section re the Spartan to which theirs lots of info on stock through to modded Spartans, Probably the best place to ask about the Spartan as well. Martin.
    Thanks martin sounds like a good idea can someone move my thread to the spatan section thanks

Here's a brief overview of how the Traxxas Spartan upgrade path goes:

- run the stock motor/esc on 6s (or even 4s) until it burns up, if it doesn't catch the boat on fire and sink it (which has actually happened!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztr4yJxYAz4

- Then replace the motor and speed control with something of better quality (hopefully the Castle combo provided under warranty by Traxxas), run that faster and faster until you stuff the boat into a wave, in which case, this may happen
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...axxas-Spartan&

- then replace the hull (might as well replace the cheap hardware while you're at it) with a hull made of fibreglass that can withstand some speed, then...

You'll pretty much have replaced the whole boat...you will still have the original radio though.

Just sayin...this is how things seem to go with this boat.

Here's a far better starting point:

(Cheaper too)

A Spartan,,,,, what the,, dont you have a DF to build??? dont hurt yourself Chud,, yep RC's are like laddies, once you get one you want more and more until they hurt you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HYDROJERRY View Post
    A Spartan,,,,, what the,, dont you have a DF to build??? dont hurt yourself Chud,, yep RC's are like laddies, once you get one you want more and more until they hurt you!!!
    Ya bra I really like the look of the blue spartan,should of had jeff punch me out a decal;s like that for the DF33 IN GREEN,

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger9D9 View Post
    Here's a brief overview of how the Traxxas Spartan upgrade path goes:

- run the stock motor/esc on 6s (or even 4s) until it burns up, if it doesn't catch the boat on fire and sink it (which has actually happened!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztr4yJxYAz4
    - Then replace the motor and speed control with something of better quality (hopefully the Castle combo provided under warranty by Traxxas), run that faster and faster until you stuff the boat into a wave, in which case, this may happen

- then replace the hull (might as well replace the cheap hardware while you're at it) with a hull made of fibreglass that can withstand some speed, then...

You'll pretty much have replaced the whole boat...you will still have the original radio though.

Just sayin...this is how things seem to go with this boat.

Here's a far better starting point:

(Cheaper too)
    Vary good point bud ,but what if I can fix all that with a little class in the hull,I have not got the hull yet but it should arrive tomorrow

Ok bud's just got my spartan and yes you are all right the hull is vary thin,BUT I an going to build it anyway just for fun

Quote Originally Posted by CHUD View Post
    Ok bud's just got my spartan and yes you are all right the hull is vary thin,BUT I an going to build it anyway just for fun
    Here you go. Instructions from Randy at BBY on how to reinforce an ABS hull with carbon fiber from a couple years back.

http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/fefor...ad.php?t=22508

If you do this to the hull, it'll be light and strong. It's a fair amount of work, but it sure would pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger9D9 View Post
    Here you go. Instructions from Randy at BBY on how to reinforce an ABS hull with carbon fiber from a couple years back.

http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/fefor...ad.php?t=22508

If you do this to the hull, it'll be light and strong. It's a fair amount of work, but it sure would pay off.
    Thanks bud that helps out alot

what no pics!!!!!

Alright bra here's one beside my df33
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sure does look cool thow!! put some fiberglass cloth in there or carbonfiber cloth and it will be stronger..

I here ya bra but where o where can I find that alsome spartan decal that everyone has on the side

I here ya bra but where o where can I find that alsome spartan decal that everyone has on the side
    Available on fleabay or from traxxas website. I have one that I'm doing a custom 2 tone paint job on. I burned up the original motor and ESC using 2 venom 3s packs in series and sent it in to traxxas for warranty. Steve Lindholm handled my return ( a great job by the way) and I had the new Castle setup in about a week. The customer service has gotten much better. On the stock 7.4 Nimh's, the new hardware barely got hot. When I'm finished with the paintwork, I'm going straight to 6's and see how she handles.

I would not try to gut any of the plastic from the inside, its been tried and you just distroy the hull.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrashracing View Post
    I would not try to gut any of the plastic from the inside, its been tried and you just distroy the hull.
    Ya bud me and HJ looked it over today and I'm going to try to in stall the fiberclass next weekend; only on the front in side I will post pic s also,And I'm sure this will fix the hull.

Quote Originally Posted by jj2003 View Post
    Available on fleabay or from traxxas website. I have one that I'm doing a custom 2 tone paint job on. I burned up the original motor and ESC using 2 venom 3s packs in series and sent it in to traxxas for warranty. Steve Lindholm handled my return ( a great job by the way) and I had the new Castle setup in about a week. The customer service has gotten much better. On the stock 7.4 Nimh's, the new hardware barely got hot. When I'm finished with the paintwork, I'm going straight to 6's and see how she handles.
    I here ya bud,6s man let me Know how it run's forsure ,I tested my df33 today on 6s and can I say WOW ,It smashed my carbon 45mm prop in seconds,I'm glade my bro HJ had a 442 in his ket ,I'v got a t180 on the way for the spartan and goin to try the turnigy 4047 motor to see what she can handle on 6s wish me luck

I here ya bud,6s man let me Know how it run's forsure ,I tested my df33 today on 6s and can I say WOW ,It smashed my carbon 45mm prop in seconds,I'm glade my bro HJ had a 442 in his ket ,I'v got a t180 on the way for the spartan and goin to try the turnigy 4047 motor to see what she can handle on 6s wish me luck
    What KV rating is the 4074 motor you are planning to run with the T180?

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by dag-nabit View Post
    What KV rating is the 4074 motor you are planning to run with the T180?

Kevin
    It's a 2000 kv bud,

Not saying you will have the same results, but I tried running a Leopard 4074 2000kv with the T180 ESC on 6S and fried the ESC after about 3 runs. The boat was fast, but the fun short lived. I was also unfortunate enough that when the ESC fried, it burned a pair of lipos with it.

You can see see it documented in my thread "FINALLY, got to run my Spartan".

Not trying to tell you what to do with your boat, but thought you might like a "heads up" based on my experience.

Kevin

I have two of the Traxxas Spartans, blue and red one's, "non idenitcal twins" and both boats are stock Castle Traxxas motors and esc. The blue was the original motor and esc which was fine until using a M445 and of course the smoke leaked out. After much testing I have both boats able to do a little over 60 mph with no "chine walk" and mininal torque roll. I use a Prather 220 and M445....runs a little warm, 117 motor and 112 ESC. Lots of cooling up grades trim tabs.
    I keep everthing cleaned and lubed well as I run the boats in salt water. I personally have been very pleased with my Spartans as well as Traxxas service. Proper set up and records of my adjustments have helped the most with consistant good speeds with out blow over.....but it has happened alot in the beginning...
    I run 6s 5000 mah most of the time and will be trying 2 5s at 5200 mah in parallel today with a Prather 220 ss and a 225 ss.

"enjoy your ride"

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dag-nabit View Post
    Not saying you will have the same results, but I tried running a Leopard 4074 2000kv with the T180 ESC on 6S and fried the ESC after about 3 runs. The boat was fast, but the fun short lived. I was also unfortunate enough that when the ESC fried, it burned a pair of lipos with it.

You can see see it documented in my thread "FINALLY, got to run my Spartan".

Not trying to tell you what to do with your boat, but thought you might like a "heads up" based on my experience.

Kevin
    Read your thread bud, and it is great info,Thanks for the heads up

Quote Originally Posted by orca View Post
    I have two of the Traxxas Spartans, blue and red one's, "non idenitcal twins" and both boats are stock Castle Traxxas motors and esc. The blue was the original motor and esc which was fine until using a M445 and of course the smoke leaked out. After much testing I have both boats able to do a little over 60 mph with no "chine walk" and mininal torque roll. I use a Prather 220 and M445....runs a little warm, 117 motor and 112 ESC. Lots of cooling up grades trim tabs.
    I keep everthing cleaned and lubed well as I run the boats in salt water. I personally have been very pleased with my Spartans as well as Traxxas service. Proper set up and records of my adjustments have helped the most with consistant good speeds with out blow over.....but it has happened alot in the beginning...
    I run 6s 5000 mah most of the time and will be trying 2 5s at 5200 mah in parallel today with a Prather 220 ss and a 225 ss.

"enjoy your ride"

Dennis
    Thanks Dennis for the info,And wellcome to OSE