Thread: lost speed when going to wire drive ????

Default lost speed when going to wire drive ????

After many weeks with the Spartan down, I finally got all my parts in "not from traxxas still on backorder".."whatever".... Anyway I am now running a .078 wire drive with stock prop GPS 37.8 mph..... A month before with the stock flex shaft and stock prop gps 45.7 mph. Just for kicks I put a 447 on and ran a 44.5 mph. My drive was down quite a bit when I brought the boat in........ Is that my only cause for the lost speed or something else..... I want to run my x642 but having issues with the small drive dog. I was starting to enjoy this boat before the flex shaft broke now I am concerned with the wire drive set up...... any thoughts

What's it feel like when spun by hand?
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

JPriami, It clicks over like before and everything seams tight and straight.... I also noticed with the wire drive it sticks out past the strut a good half inch, is that to much. should i cut the wire down a .25 or 375. I was looking at all the pics and no one is more than .25 from the strut end to the drive dog. I am a good half to .625 does that matter..

A pic of yours might help on that. But there should only be a small small gap between the drive dog and end of strut with a wire drive. It's not like a shrinking cable so a big gap isn't needed.

Also check your motor collet to wire connection. Make sure it's all tight. And look at the end of the wire. If it's black the wire maybe slipping in the collet.

Maybe this helps. But this was my Spartan I built up when I had one. I had a wire drive on it.

I am going to run the boat tonight, I will check the coupler and inspect the wire after running. When I got the coupler, It said for smooth motor shaft, mine does have a flat spot on the motor shaft but it seams tight on there...

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Spartan View Post
    I am going to run the boat tonight, I will check the coupler and inspect the wire after running. When I got the coupler, It said for smooth motor shaft, mine does have a flat spot on the motor shaft but it seams tight on there...
    I can't see the flat on the motor shaft causing any grief. I have never seen a "smooth" motor shaft on an RC motor of this size so I'm not sure what they are referring to.

In your original post you said your drive was down quite a bit. If the drive strut is down (negative trim angle) that will force the nose down and run the hull wet. The extra drag on the hull will slow the boat down.

Check and adjust your strut to neutral position, if it is out of adjustment, and try that.

Kevin

Lol I thought he meant his drive was down meaning it was going slow. But yeah if the strut is angled down that will do it too

i noticed mine was slower as well once when i took it out with the 078 wire, and found my drive strut loosened, I'm thinking even though the wire drive is much thinner i'n diameter , it's stiffer , less flexible than a flex cable, so there was more stress/ tension on the strut, causing it to loosen easier and i'n my case it ran wet, but this is just my experience, i set it to neutral or 4 mm from the bottom most part if the hull for now and I'm gonna try it hopefully this weekend. One more thing, i also had one of jeffs couplers on there which is 4 set screws, now that may be fine for the stock batts , but i ordered the octura type coupler that pinches the wire as you tighten the 2 nuts, your able to get a tighter fit, because you can only tighten the setscrews so much before they strip or you break 4 wrenches.... Lol! But @ Indiana, just make sure you use a decent amount of blue/ medium loctite on the motor Wire drive coupler to eliminate any question that it's slipping. And if you inspect the wire after your run (when you grease it) you'll se evidence if it slipping (i did on mine) but it was still fine to use... Good luck and keep us posted! Sorry for the long post.....
    Scott Spartan#1: castle hydra ice 240 castle 2200 Prather 220 turnigy 5.0 45c lipos with max amps water pump... Spartan#2: leopard 1800, octura 440 ,traxxas 8400 mah 25c lipos.....updated deeper hull....

There is little bend to those boats. Wire should always be the same or a bit faster. You may want to sand the stub as much of the 5mm shaft I get can be several thousanths difference. Yes, you still need some gap. The prop still pushes the wire forward from thrust.

"Indiana Spartan"...........where are you in Indiana? Would love to have another FE boater to go run with!

Just out side of Louisville Kentucky. There is a Gas RC boat club in Sellersburg IN, but no one seams to have FE that I know of. I would like to run with someone. I bought my rc boat to take to Lake Cumberland and screw around with. "that season is over" The Spartan has been down a while, but I am back running again. Have a 32 Fighter Cat on order.

Thanks to all for the help....

ran boat tonight after a half gallon of loctite on the coupler and strut nut.......is that a new word...... strut nut.........anyway. The boat ran great I was running a x642, also made some trim tab adjustment. The old Spartan is running level and fast.... and no flips or crashes thats good for me.... I hope to go back to back good runs with no issues, it is a small goal.... thanks for everyones help....

No prob, glad it worked out! The wire drives are def more efficient , while they still require grease after every run it's super easy compared to the flex drives.....
    Scott Spartan#1: castle hydra ice 240 castle 2200 Prather 220 turnigy 5.0 45c lipos with max amps water pump... Spartan#2: leopard 1800, octura 440 ,traxxas 8400 mah 25c lipos.....updated deeper hull....