Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motley Crew Leopard 4074 install

It did melt the solder off one of the motor connectors the other day, I replaced the 5.5's that were on it with some HK 5.5's ( suprisingly they fit together nice and snug ) so I will see what happens next time out
    VS1 FE - UL-1 - Motley Crew - Miss Geico - Kintec Prince - Rio 51z - 1/16 Summit - 1/10 Summit - Ken Block Rally - Kyle Busch Truck - Losi Mini SCT - BL E-MAXX - Assoc FT SC10 - Wild Willy - Clodbuster - Sand Scorcher......

Quote Originally Posted by Pete32200 View Post
    It did melt the solder off one of the motor connectors the other day, I replaced the 5.5's that were on it with some HK 5.5's ( suprisingly they fit together nice and snug ) so I will see what happens next time out
    I'm using the HK 6.0mm bullets on my 4074 1774kv motor, they are AWESOME connectors! I get my 5.5mm from a seller on ebay and I love them. On my Leopard 4074 2200kv I am using CC6.5mm bullets.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

This nice weather has got me wanting to run the boats again so I headed up to Kintec Racing today and picked up a Leopard 2150kv 4074 to try, I also swapped out to a UL-1 Rudder with the built in water pickup. I am gonna try and hit the Lake tomorrow
    VS1 FE - UL-1 - Motley Crew - Miss Geico - Kintec Prince - Rio 51z - 1/16 Summit - 1/10 Summit - Ken Block Rally - Kyle Busch Truck - Losi Mini SCT - BL E-MAXX - Assoc FT SC10 - Wild Willy - Clodbuster - Sand Scorcher......

This nice weather has got me wanting to run the boats again so I headed up to Kintec Racing today and picked up a Leopard 2150kv 4074 to try, I also swapped out to a UL-1 Rudder with the built in water pickup. I am gonna try and hit the Lake tomorrow
    You got 'soft' water in PA?
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

I am running the same set up with a tacon 2150 and a x447 and it runs great.

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    You got 'soft' water in PA?
    Looks like its gonna stay "soft" for another couple weeks

Looks like its gonna stay "soft" for another couple weeks
    Great for you!! I like running in 40* water.............cools everything down real nice!
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Pete i think you are allright i just did the same thing to my mc and didnt see anything that would block the foam from going to the foreward most part.
    Attachment 60361Attachment 60362Attachment 60363Attachment 60364Attachment 60365

Got the foam in the hull last night, I originally was just going to drill a couple 3/4" holes to pour through but found a piece of foam in the nose ( and it was holding alot of water ) so I cut a slot large enough to slide it out, it wasn't glued in or attached at all, it just pulls out

After removing the stock piece of foam I could see plywood sheets running flat inside the sponsons front to back, they have large holes in them so the foam will pour right throught them without issue

I started by mixing 1oz of part A and 1oz of part B ( 2 oz total ) and did my first pour, Waited 30 minutes and Repeated that process 2 more times for a total of 6oz ( 3oz part A and 3oz Part B ) that got me very close so for the final pour I mixed 1/2oz of each and that filled it......I thought

Apparently there is a piece of plywood or some other material that runs across the nose and prevented the foam from filling up the front 2 inches of the hull......THE MOST IMPORTANT PART !!!!

so If you are going to fill the hull get in there with a long drill bit and put some holes in there for the foam to pour through, I need to figure out the best way now to get foam in the nose
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thats odd, the front of the sponsons and front edge of the main hull on mine feel like no foam got down there, I can still flex those areas

How'd the 2150kv Leopard 4074 compare to the Leopard 1800 in your MC?

I got the boat without a motor so I have only ran it with the 2150kv.

I ran a 2150kv then switched to a 1160kv so I can run bigger batts, I posted what I thought, in this fourm " **New** AquaCraft Motley Crew Brushless Q & A" under "Tested my new set-up today, and gotz me a questionz"
    If you want read the whole thing. or see a pic of the inside of my boat.

But here is what i said:

Tested my new set-up today, and gotz me a question.
    Testing info:

Purchased a Motley Crew, ran it "stock" once. (to slow)

Bought a Leopard 4074 2150kv and Swordfish 200amp. Ran once on 4s, then learned that 4s was the max I can do with that motor. Well that does my 3s and 4s packs no good.

So I sold and replaced the all that with a TP 4050 1160kv and 8s- 240 ESC from Fightercat.

Now for today:

I started with 6s on a m445, ran perfect, and cold.
    *Note* The TP on 6s "seemed" to be the same as the Leopard on 4s, on top-end speed, but the TP had a ton more mid-range punch than the Leo.
    **Note 2** The Leo sounded better than the TP

So I skipped the 7s and went straight to the 8s. HOLY CRAP!!! that thing was fast... gave the throttle a squeeze and it jumped out of the water about a foot. It busted off the nylon sheer bolts on the rudder and flipped over. Fixed it and tried again. I could only give it full throttle for a second once it was "under way", cause it would hop right out of the water. If it had wings it would fly away, and I didn't want to wreck the hull on the first time out. I don't own a GPS or a camera person, but it hauled A**!! only at prob. 75% throttle most the time. When I did go "full" for a second= She flew like a "raped ape"

Right up until I snapped my flex line.

the 2150 leopard was a definate improvement, with the m645 prop on 4s it is much faster, haven't GPS'd it but compared to the 50mph it was running I am gonna estimate 58-60 mph now. It was getting a little warm so I may have to prop down once the water gets warmer but overall I am pleased with the set-up

Have settled on an M440 Prop since we started doing some "Racing" Down at The Kintec Racing proving grounds, Not quite as fast but temps stay down around 110 degrees F on the Motor and ESC and handles like a dream

Working on the MC is a breeze. I installed the Leopard 4074, 2150kv motor on a carbon-fiber motor mount, been running my MC with the Seaking 180A ESC, x642 prop, a pair of 4S (parallel) 40C 5000mAh Sky Lipo batteries. The acceleration is amazing and she easily hits 50mph with cool component temps.

Comparing my modified MC to my modified EKOS C1 2(Leopard 2860 2730kv):
    - Turns: MC tighter, faster.
    - Rough water: EKOS "ploughs" through, where the MC is more prone to submarine. The EKOS with 2(motors, ESC) is heavier, narrower beam, slightly longer hull and lower profile.
    - Speed: EKOS very stable at or above 50-60mph. MC can only handle short bursts, then can get wobbily and more easily kites to the air.
    - Reliability: MC, hands-down.
    - Ease to work on: MC.

I have finaly "finished" my MC upgrades, for now. Carbon fiber inside the hull, a little on the hatch. New motor mount and wiring, Aquastar 120 amp, 5.5 bullets battery side, 6mm for motor connection. Traxxas waterproof servo (125oz). Foamed hull with two part marine foam from Kintec. Grim 42-55, Kintec flex, slightly shortened stuffing tube, oversize cooling lines. Waterproof rx box, and more! Love working on these boats, this one, and my 30 yr old Villain.

xlandguy,
    that is really great, post some video if you can. I have a question: I plan to foam my hull since there is something already "loose" in the nose---can hear a rattle sound , boat is brand new. How many minutes do you have when you start mixing that stuff till it starts to expand? I am a bit slow and worry that I don't have enugh time, lol...

Not "minutes" more like A minute, you mix in small (1 or 2 oz) batches. There is a piece of foam in there, I pulled that out first, take a look at my other thread to see pictures and video. The foam from Kintec has decent instructions. Not difficult, just plan, mix and pour.

Thanks! So it's ONE minute, just as I was afraid of...

Ya if I recall you mix for like 20 seconds or so then pour it in. It's very thin when you pour, a minute is plenty of time, but don't e wait.. Pour it as soon as you mix it. Get the little mixing cups from Kintec and it's easy to get it right. Take a look at the other threads on this foam. Lot of guys did it to their UL-1's.

Thanks for the tip, that is important for me to know! I think i will give it a practice run on something else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12