Thread: Opinions Needed from the all FE boat know it alls!!!

Default Opinions Needed from the all FE boat know it alls!!!

I'm starting this thread to see everyones opinion about making a 30" Cat FE Fast!!! Here is the deal. Top speed, best run times and of course reliability are the rules. Lets keep it at a moderate amount of spending. I will post my thoughts later. Lets hear your thoughts. All opinions welcome!!

I'm far from a know it all but based on my experience this set up is the best balance of everying your asking for.

Aeromarine Mean Machine (29"), 4s2p 5000, Leopard 4074 2200, Turnigy 180 controller, M445 prop.

Cool

Here is the deal. Top speed, best run times and of course reliability are the rules. Lets keep it at a moderate amount of spending....
    I know you are new to FE, welcome! If you use the search function you may find a lot of threads addressing your topic, allowing you to make a choice. But your "rules" are not much help to anyone. What does "best run times" mean? Ten minutes? Okay, use a BJ26 motor and an x440 prop and 4S2P/10,000 mAh of battery. "Top Speed"? Is that 65 mph? A 2200 Kv motor, 45C/5000 mAh packs and a P235 prop. You can't really have both high speed and long run times with the same setup. "Moderate spending"? What is that, $300? $450? $650? "Moderate" means different things to different people. You have to share your specific goals with us, otherwise you may not get the answers you want.

I will post my thoughts later....
    They would be very helpful if you included them in the first post. We want to help but we can't guess what you really want.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

No know it all here either, but i'll throw this out there as on option since a great hull and setup has already been mentioned by Nautiboyz.

Hull: http://www.ebay.com/itm/29-Phantom-c...item20ab40c13e

Motor: 3D version for 4s lipo, http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=keda-4074

Speedo: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...er-seaking-180
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

does "fast" mean SAW or racing or wow-factor or what? Agree with Jay, need to know your specific goals, otherwise just make a poll - but then, what good does that do?

Everyone has very different goals and means, so asking what others would do is like asking opinions about making a woman hot, then also adding rules, she has to be gorgeous, smart and low maintenance... What does it mean to YOU?

ps. I am far from knowing even a fraction of "it all"...
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt View Post
    I'm starting this thread to see everyones opinion about making a 30" Cat FE Fast!!! Here is the deal.

Top speed, best run times and of course reliability are the rules. Lets keep it at a moderate amount of spending. I will post my thoughts later. Lets hear your thoughts. All opinions welcome!!
    Top Speed / Best Runtimes / Reliability / Moderate amount of Spending

Choose Any Three
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Top Speed / Best Runtimes / Reliability / Moderate amount of Spending

Choose Any Three
    Boy you are generous; I would have only permitted 2!
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Hi Guys, Thanks for replying. Sorry about being so vague on my rules. Lets say $1000 for the setup (a small cat like a Ms.geico) not including a radio. Since we can't have everything in one package. Lets go w/ top speed (wow-factor!!! would be cool) ,reliability and fair run times (5 mins. or more would be good). Hopefully this will narrow things down. I want to go fast but not for 1 min. and not melting something down. How about a HV system? Opinions please. Lets hear your thoughts!!

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt View Post
    Opinions please. Lets hear your thoughts!!
    You have already been given two setups with hulls right in the Geico size range....................any thoughts from you on them?
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

They look good. But are they the wow factor? From my readings they are great set ups but looking for a little more. I'd like to step it up a little.
    Last edited by maddmatt; 09-15-2011 at 07:19 AM.

Looks nice. What kind of speed are we looking at? I'd say maybe 50's. ???

Low 60's

First off we are not "FE not know it alls" on this site, as we are always learning, what is your experiece with FE boats ...what rules? .....build a boat from a bare hull, if you have that skill and walk before you run....what is wow factor to you?

Douggie

Boat building and setup alot. Lrg. monos w/ Hanson motors were my love till the neighbor on my lake bi-t-c-h-e-d. (Going green).Parked my boats in 2000 when FE was still at a start. Thought I'd give it sometime time for tech to improve. Which it did alot in quality and price. The boats that I built were probably to large for electric but FE is simiular in set up just smaller. FE seems to be a trial and error. I read threads that sound like this, I'm running this setup and go so fast and someone will reply your retarded. Can't be done w/o cooking something. Which is the correct way or setup? So basically what I'm really asking is what is the proper(reliable), super fast(wow factor 70 mph), FE DRIVELINE setup for a 30"-36" cat. My old gasser monos ran in the 60's. I can't go slower. Thanks MM.

As there were not many guide lines laid out I would do something like this.
    HPR 135, or an HPR 115 for a slightly smaller boat.
    It gets the WOW factor and the speed factor.

Or this one, Both are HPR 135's

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    No know it all here either, but i'll throw this out there as on option since a great hull and setup has already been mentioned by Nautiboyz.

Hull: http://www.ebay.com/itm/29-Phantom-c...item20ab40c13e

Motor: 3D version for 4s lipo, http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=keda-4074

Speedo: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...er-seaking-180
    Are these hulls any good?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Matt, Welcome to FE & the OSE Forum. Lots of good info here & knowledge gained from modding, building, racing, and just plain having fun.

While this may not be your cup of tea (it's a 30" Sport Hydro), have a look. It fits many of your expectations and with some nice graphics certainly could offer some of that "Wow" you seek :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V60YYYo1aDY

If you go to the "Unique Products and Services" section and click on the "Going Insane at RCBOATBUILD" thread, you can see some photos.

Pardon the shameless self-promotion, but this might be a direction to consider

Tony Heller
    rcboatbuild@hotmail.com
    Last edited by properchopper; 09-15-2011 at 01:25 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

In all seriousness I would do something like the 37 in daytona cat ffrom figherca.
    http://fightercatracing.com/index.ph...emart&Itemid=1

Set it up as a twin running 6s 5000mah each side, leopard 4074s would probably be overkill but hey. octura x445 props.

It would be a fun boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Are these hulls any good?
    Dont have one of the Cats but they are made by the same company that i got my 39 and 47 inch mono's from on Ebay......should be decent, and adding CF to them could make a real nice hull. My 47 already had the Carbon kevlar in it, but they may add it at a small additional cost on the Cat.

Here's the store on Ebay...............a guy named Frank runs the operation, his shipping time and packaging are top notch.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/lzrc/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

Thanks, I'll probably go to do a 37 cat w/ twins screws. That hpr is Truely the WWWWOOOOWWWWW Factor. Way to rich for my blood. Found a used one for 6500$. Later,MH. I'll keep ya post. Got make a decision.

Matt, I personally would look at H and M hulls for the speed you are looking at, which is very fast and it will cost more than a $1000 for this project. Are you a SAW racer?

Douggie

Hi, Looked at H&M hulls. Very nice hulls and driveline (Good components)). Going to do some more research about hulls. I don't race but I enjoy power and performance. That HPR135 was bad too the bone. I'd like build something like it(without all the detail) but in a smaller scale. I wonder if a solo drive could reach a 100mph in a 30"-36" Cat? I'm going shoot for 100 mph. From my research, a geardrive might be needed. Anyway, thanks from the ideas and suggestions. Open for more ideas. Thanks MM

Going to be more than a grand!!! Thats alright. I spent over a G for one motor ten years ago. You have to pay to play. Later, MM.

Attachment 60399Attachment 60400Attachment 60401MADMATT: If you would consider a 56" X 26" Aeromarine hydro ($400 hull+ any color shipped) rather than a cat - I have a 70+ MPH FE SAW setup recommendation for you. Will give you details if interested. I'm NO know it all, just know smart people. JIM

Thanks Jim for the info and offer. Will consider a hydro. I've never worked w/ one so it will be a new game. Could be fun but looking for some solid success w/ my knowledge. I'm doing more research about setups. I really like a Cat. Hydros are nice but a smaller motor compartment. I'm looking to stuff a large radical driveline inside. It would probably fit inside that aeromarine. Thats a big hydro. Is that as big as they come? Where is the nearest SAW event near N. Wisconsin? I might consider a try at something like that or at least attend one. Thanks again. Later, MM.

MADDMATT: I don't have a clue about when or where NAMBA holds StraightAWay races. At 50 1/4" long my hydro is the largest Aeromarine currently makes. It has plenty of space for a big motor and 12S2P battery setup.

Both Aeromarine & Proboat make great cats, but I don't know which makes the largest one. Because you like to run large gas boats, I recommend getting one at least 44" to 46" long made for a 2 stroke gasser. Or just convert one of your gasser hulls. Manufacturers only make big hulls for gas power at this time. I got my Venom Group gasser Segad cat hull, painted & decals etc. for $275 shipped. It looks fantastic but will cost a minimum of $500 to buy, and it's quite narrow & is easy to roll over if you give it too much rudder.

This is my large boat (cat or hydro) setup: Leopard 5692 730 Kv motor @ $156 shipped; six 14.8 V Leopard Red batts
    @ $56 each shipped; Swordfish 240HV ESC @270 + shipping from OSE website; Octura X462 prop @ around $20; FlySky FS GT3B 2.4 gig radio/reciever with built in failsafe @ about $56. I got the motor, batts & radio from China via Ebay, but it takes 3-4 weeks to arrive. See the electric motor/esc forums on the OSE website. This setup will get you at least 65-70+ MPH cat or hydro. Here are some pics of my Segad setup.

Send me your email address & I can send video of my second trial run.

JIM

May want to look at a P or P Spec CF tunnel. Photo's and video's at http://www.stsa.us