Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Force Explorer Cat, Maiden

Default Delta Force Explorer Cat, Maiden

Came in the mail Friday at 3pm. Decided Id build it as a Q-offshore mainly because I sold my Q boat, yet still had all the electronics from it. Plus, Bill34209 seemed lonely as hes the only one running Q at the moment. Build started Friday night, Re-did most of what I did Friday on Saturday because of the medicine Im on having bronchitus has me a bit loopy (at least thats the excuse Im using). I sat at the bench all day yesterday and had a pretty successful maiden with it today. Little leaks to be corrected, some tweaks here and there and she"ll be great.

Set up is a leopard 1400kv 4074 and 6S. Some Tenshock prop I pulled outta my box, 42ish mm, no idea what pitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohe62...layer_embedded

looks good, what kind of speeds do you think it was running?

Looks good. I wonder how it will do with race chop of more than 2 or 3 boats??
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by millzee View Post
    looks good, what kind of speeds do you think it was running?
    if I had to guess, its probably touching 50? The same set up in my Genesis ran 53. Ive got a bit of trim etc to sort thru on this though.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Looks good. I wonder how it will do with race chop of more than 2 or 3 boats??
    Its funny, I just had this conversation with Bill34207 on the phone. Had it been today, probably not well. That run was a shot in the dark on set up. But I think once its dialed a bit more it will do okay. In two weeks we'll see how she fairs against at least one other competitor. I like to change it over to a offset rudder, but the transom is very short top to bottom, especially off to the sides of the rudder extension. A set up similar to how most of us are modifying our Geicos, or the stru assembly that is coming on the Mystic29 is probably what Ill look for, but again, the HOTR assembly is even about a mm or 2 too tall on the mount. Perhaps at least a custom bracket to attach to the transom.

I got some bugs worked out on it, hope to get a few passes on it here at the house tomorrow.

Very graceful! I am determined to get a nice looking hull like this one racing! Even if I have to go slower to keep her on the water. Great video work too!
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

It is a nice hull indeed Jesse. DF did a good job with it. Thanks to Bill34207 as he shoots 90% of our vids while we are out there.

I had a sick thought... To race P, you could trim off a couple inches off the back ... I wastempted to do so on my 36" balsa cat, but you have given me hope in getting her set up for Q. I just need to do some sponson work. Keep us posted and aware of all your secrets - especially if you are headed out to legg lake next summer.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Looks and sounds very nice!!
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    I had a sick thought... To race P, you could trim off a couple inches off the back ... I wastempted to do so on my 36" balsa cat, but you have given me hope in getting her set up for Q. I just need to do some sponson work. Keep us posted and aware of all your secrets - especially if you are headed out to legg lake next summer.
    Dang Jesse, ive got 6 3 minutes run time on this thing and Im already cutting it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    Looks and sounds very nice!!
    Thanks!!!

I made some adjustments and just gave it a spin. Im twice as impressed as yesterday. Ill get more vid asap.

I think it looks good man...
    Sounds mean to!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

gotta love that shape!!

1527 1y motor? What esc... If you have it in op no need to repeat...
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    1527 1y motor? What esc... If you have it in op no need to repeat...
    Leopard 4074 1400KV, 6S, Etti 150 .... and cause thats what I had layin around.

Looks and sounds great.

I see so many videos of boats making high speed passes in front of the camera, it's neat to see one haulin' the mail around the corners.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaGriz View Post
    Looks and sounds great.

I see so many videos of boats making high speed passes in front of the camera, it's neat to see one haulin' the mail around the corners.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by PapaGriz View Post
    Looks and sounds great.

A-men! I cant stand watching vids with runs that dont make sense, twisting and turning at 10mph and then a quick full throttle blip right into another 8 foot radius turn.The only way Ill film High speed passes is if the boats too fast to make the turn in the size pond Im. Other than that, run it like its the real deal right?!?!?! I like to see what a boat can do. Liek I said, Ive got it dialed a bit more so I can push it even harder now without the fear of it going out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Other than that, run it like its the real deal right?!?!?! I like to see what a boat can do.
    Amen! I can't wait to see it more dialed in.

Your vid has made me excited to see what my Daytona will do when I get it running. Thanks!

Papa, search thru bill3427's youtube page. You'll find my genesis (daytona) using the same set up. I think he named it "tiquemans genesis"

I was up way too late last night watching pretty much all of Bill's videos.........
    Was bummed that there were no offshore class heats, but man that racing was intense. I might have to get out and watch some races.

Saw the one on your Genesis; I'm even more excited to get mine going now. Mine will be a bit slower with a 4074 2200KV on 4S, but I'm just excited to get an FE going and to see how great the cats look on the water.
    Last edited by PapaGriz; 09-15-2011 at 01:09 AM. Reason: 4074 not 3674

You will still be pretty fast. Osprey ran a 4074 2000 on 4s even though it was a 6s class and he was almost as fast as I was. There should have been quite a few lso races which is offshore and we usually run q as just a 6 lap instead on using the offshore course and 4 min.

You are correct, there are some some good LSO videos of you guys. That looks like fun.
    I was referring to the 2011 FE Nats videos, I didn't see any offshore in them.

If mine runs 40-45 reliably I will be extremely happy for my first FE.

Anyway, thanks for the tip on the great vids, I can't wait to see more of your boat.

Going to have to re-think this boat. Its got a lot of the Genesis disease in it. Hooks, slides out etc etc. Bill got some vids of racing today. As soon as hes posted them Ill update w/ links. I went agains Bills Sprintcat and Hughs mean machine and got my a$$ handed to me. My plan is to strip the hardware and go w/ something else other than the HOTR/ FC/ OSE inline hardware thats on it. Id like to see what I can find w/ offset in mind and something w/ a larger and deeper rudder. The problem is the mounts seurface on the back of the hull is very small. The offset bracket will have to come off the center mount. I dont see how it could mount off the transom on its own as the transom height is very short. Anyway, Im not giving up yet. But so far its not what I hoped.

Bills DF Explorer is gonna be insane with twin 1520's!!!!!!!!!!!

I kind of expected your results. It's possibly designed to be a twin but, for single drive, you need approx. 160mm long rudder for this boat since it is a large hull at 37" long almost.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    Bills DF Explorer is gonna be insane with twin 1520's!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah Im building one of those too We will have mostly identical set ups.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    I kind of expected your results. It's possibly designed to be a twin but, for single drive, you need approx. 160mm long rudder for this boat since it is a large hull at 37" long almost.
    I was hoping it would have done a bit better than it had. But, Ill keep trying. Im not one who likes to give up, just a big dissappointment today. Ive got the speed to stay in the race, just cant rely on the turning part.

Ive been side tracked a bit thanks to Benjamin at Fightercat Racing. Had to rob some parts out of the DF to do some testing on another hull. Im getting this back together and hope to get it wet tomorrow or Friday. Tonight I stared at it for 10 minutes trying to figure out what to do. Then I was digging through my parts box and found some Octura offset brackets. Out came the drill. I opened up the holes to 1/8" in the strudder bracket and had to file a bit of the outside parameter of the Octura offset flat so it would nest nicely inside the lip of the rudder bracket, and heres what I came up with. Clean and easy. Took 5 minutes. I hope this solves some of its cornering characteristics.

Also, Bill34207 has been building a twin version if you havent seen it yet. hes got a build thread going on. Another thought, is obviously this boat was designed to be a twin with the transom doublers already installed. Hopefully his will handle the way it should w/ minimal effort.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got a run in on it today. Richt took a vid. Ill post a link as soon as he has it up. Its a little better w/ the offset but still needs some help. Ive got something in the works w/ HRC so we'll see what happens. Vid as soon as I can get it. So far Bills twin is showing the same cornering results. Again, HRC is working on some things for both of us. Hopefully it helps.

Wow! That thing has ton of room inside. Would having dual rudders help with cornering at higher speeds? Would be almost like having turn fins, no??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast