Thread: Prop Shaft Bushing (AQUB7884) doesn't fit over upgraded shaft

Default Prop Shaft Bushing (AQUB7884) doesn't fit over upgraded shaft

I just got the Upgrade Flex Shaft from Kintec and the Aquacraft bushing doesn't fit. Is there a secret? Should I have bought the Kintec upgraded bushing instead?

Also how much of the teflon liner do you use? It doesn't fit all the way through or should it? When removing the old liner I only pushed out one piece of about 4" or so. When putting in the teflon liner do you only add it from the front (engine side)?

Thanks,

Dave

Its commonly known that SV27's have a 2 piece teflon liner in the stuffing tube. Not exactly sure why, I have my suspicions, but regardless most of us wanting to upgrade or improve the driveline install a single one piece liner. Something that seems to have been forgoten over time is the brass stuffing tube that comes stock from the factory leaves much to be desired. It tends to have an excessive "j" hook on the motor end that needs to be angular reduced. If you dont believe me google SV27 and look at how many have encountered this problem. Installing a new brass stuffing tube, dimensioned accordingly to fit, will resolve this issue. I myself have replaced at least 5 tubes in hulls over the years. Not all SV27's suffer this issue. But enough do to bring this issue in to the light. As to Kintec products I cannot comment. If the flex assy from them does not drop in as a direct replacement then you should query them as to why not? Shouldnt they have warned you before hand? Where you required to buy both the flex assy and the bushing? The absolute best drop in flex assy replacement for the SV27 is the Prather .150 flex They are had to find as they have been out of production for years. The longer 3.125 stubb shaft rides perfectly in the stock bushing. And its fully supported over its entire length. Not like the shorter 2.75 stubbs commonly sold by most.

If you really like the SV27 and desire to keep it in your fleet, I like mine even if it does have limits, do some subtle investigation. Not everyone knows the tech details. Or worse. They choose to ignore the obvious. If you have to get the Kintec bushing so your flex can work. The bushing has to be cheaper then a $20 flex assy. Join Rumrunner and search the site. Mucho good stuff from over the years of racers and their knowledge regarding the SV27.

John
    Change is the one Constant

Hi Dave,

The teflon liner, mite need trimming on the end your going to slide in first, and yes put it in from the engine side,
    The liner should only be as long as the flex cable part, as it won't fit in the strut part at the rear of the shaft.
    It mite take a bit of fiddling but it will go in the tube eventually!

tone