Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maiden on a Geico twin build

Default Maiden on a Geico twin build

I started this quite a while back. Being busy with life and building boats, hatches, etc. for others, I havent had time to do anything much for myself lately. But, I finally finished the build part anyway. Paints next, once I get her all tweaked out.

I built this boat for a new class we are running at our club called STD. or Stock Twin Drive. Basically any LSO set up, but times 2. Currently we have 3 HOTR twins running, mine (until now), RayR and RCKong. I just wanted to mix up the equation and see if the Geico hull would correct some of the issues we are having w/ the HOTR. Seems it has. After a short run yesterday, forgetting to tighten the set screws on the pull pull steering out on the rudder tillers, and missing the water connection between the motor and the exit on the side of the boat (last minute water outlet seal on the motor cooling jacket and just plain forgot) nearly flooding the hull I got most of the bugs worked out of it on its 2nd half, maiden voyage. Still getting a little water in it and Ive got to move the COG a tad forward. I feel in race conditions shes gunna blow over. All in all, I couldnt be more pleased....

Set up is T-120s, Proboat 1500KV motors and cut down 447s L and R 4S1P per side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpoqJ8Xqvwg

Are you using a helmet cam? Almost looks like it with the way the vid came out. Definately still needs a little work in the cg area or possibly drive angle adjustment. I could hear the hop better than I could see it but can tell it's there.

I just held a thumb camera in my hand down by my side and drove one handed. There is no stinger adjustments. Just aluminum machined tubes set at 0 so its all in the cog... I hope

Awesome bud! Congrats on getting it going. Looks like it's movin pretty good.
    Catching Air!

Nice bud. It's looking awesome man. Should out run those hotr hulls! Nice work as always!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Did you have a build thread?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Thanks gents. Ray, I did not do a build thread. I think I took two pics for myself along the way. So, This is the most documentation of it so far... but much more to come

Very nice.................and it sounds awesome too!
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Lets see the BUM on your misses G!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Nice one Scott,, gotta love those twins!!!

Ill get some Bum pics and internals up asap. I got two runs on it today in some 20+mph winds. My ponds pretty protected so it wasnt bad. Im getting buckets of water in the hull still. I cannot for the life of me figure out where its coming from. the second run I lost radio as the RX finally got moisture in it past the di-electric grease somehow and it bee-lined and crashed into the bank. Forunately it was only about 15' out when it pinned so It only hit the bank at about 10-15mph. No damage that I can see.... I did do a small cog change and it seems to ride much better. Had a neighbor kid shoot some vid but he didnt hit record. Doubt Ill get it out again today.

Try a bathtub test, maybe there is some little leak somewhere?

I doubt you have your cables reversed pumping water in ??

We will see more soon....
    Nortavlag Bulc

Floated for 5 min in the pond and about 25 min in the tub w no leaks. Made a nozzle to hook into the system on the boat using a garden hose and found a small leak in the starboard jacket oring. Let it run for 3 min and might have had a tablespoon and a half of water. Fixed the oring issue, turned two laps and had about 3/4 cup in each sponson. Pulled shafts, regreased, two laps about a cup in each sponson. Under a min of running. Its coming up the shaft somehow is my only guess. Only thing water can be hitting and going forward is the drive dogs because its a one piece glued in place non adjustable stinger. So ron, your pm about the stinger gap does not apply. There is no gap. Silicone tube on the inside of each stuffing tube to cable and I've now got a small piece on each shaft on the outside between the stinger and drive dog. I cut them about 1/8 long and left about a 1/8 gap as well so we will see. I ran it 6 times today and nothing I've done has made a difference at all.

You might want to try floating it in the tub without props and spinning it up a few times to see if it's migrating up the stuffing tubes

Wish i had the answer for ya scott,,,

I could try that. Its gotta be comin up pretty darn hard to get passed the silicone tubing Id think...

Heres a few pics. Its getting paint and graphics once the flood issue is resolved.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I got to run my Geico with the 4s2p, 120esc and m445 like you advised me and you were wright it ran forever and nothing was even warm and ran pritty quick,,, but sorry it was bone dry inside when i brault it in..and ran my genesis and it was like your prob,, a cup of water inside so dont feel alone,,,Hope you fix it soon bro..

I think I found the problem. At the front of the starboard pick up, I found a little pin hole between it and the bottom of the hull where the epoxy to install the pick up is. I cant see it, but I taped it all up and put it upside down in the bath tub and pushed it under water. I very tiny line of bubbles showed up. Cant imagine that small a hole put that much water in it, but I hope thats it. if nothing else, its one more leak fixed.

Looks awesome, Scott! Rips good too.

Finally got mine painted all white. Just enamel rattle can, nothing fancy. Going with the Geico Racing "Caveman" theme on mine.

Thanks Raf. I got the leak sorted out and am racing it Sunday. Hope to get color on it next week. Post up some pics when yours is done. I'm pumped, finally running one of "my" hatches.

I agree-Sounds awesome.Like twins and a nice little test spot
    Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    Very nice.................and it sounds awesome too!

Thanks shawn. That's behind my house. I'm actually one lot off the end but a short walk beats starting the truck. Tomorrow is its first raceagainst others so we'll see how she does. If all goes well she'll get stripped and painted. I'm sure bill will get video tomorrow so ill post it if/ when it happens.

Nice build. Keep up the good work!
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

Good Luck on the race tommorrow,she looks nice and stable and as we know you have to finish in order to win.If I had a lake like that in my backyard my
    boat budget would be blown to heck.This stuff can get carried away(addictive).

Well kong is out for tomorrow, so its up to rayr to bring his otherwise ill be turning laps alone. Either way I should have some vid of it.

Have you GPS'd it yet?
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

No not yet. That vid is the longest its run. Several runs after that were just out and back until the leak was fixed. I havnt run it as I've been wrappin up some builds for others including a quicky I did for myself.

Nice one Scott
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

Got to turn a few laps w/ it today. Wasnt as happy as I hoped to be. Ive got some turning issues in it to work out, not exactly sure whats going on. She wants to go straight. It seemed to be turning well here at the house the other day, so hopefully Im just overlooking something. Also I need to push the batteries just a little. Shes wanting to lift about half way down the straight a ways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast