Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Aeromarine Sprint Cat .80/.90 twin 1717's

can you remember what she weighed??

I have a set of c/r 447s, c/r x450/3's and a set of c/r 5017/3's that have been cut back a bit, would you belive I've just walked past, my t-shirt caught the rudder and I've dropped it off the top of the change table and it's landed on the top rear corner and has F*********************** gel coat. Looks like this frigging cat is going to need a paint after all, I might doctor it up and let the kids paint this B***********

Quote Originally Posted by millzee View Post
    can you remember what she weighed??
    I believe 10.5 kilo with 6s 4p...20,000mah
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by rearwheelin View Post
    I believe 10.5 kilo with 6s 4p...20,000mah
    well thats a bonus, this things should only weigh around 9kg unless I use a few kilos with paint lol

I have a set of c/r 447s, c/r x450/3's and a set of c/r 5017/3's that have been cut back a bit, would you belive I've just walked past, my t-shirt caught the rudder and I've dropped it off the top of the change table and it's landed on the top rear corner and has F*********************** gel coat. Looks like this frigging cat is going to need a paint after all, I might doctor it up and let the kids paint this B***********
    That really blows !!!! ..... 447x 2 blade is what it's running , just sharpened and balanced .
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

well thats a bonus, this things should only weigh around 9kg unless I use a few kilos with paint lol
    Mine had a bit of paint on it and pour in foam that added quite a few ounces because it was a old batch and didn't expand well also put a bit of wieght into the battery trays , none the less I have seen bigger boat same motors and esc's weighing 11.8 kilo
    --Albert Einstein

Oh the pain, battle scared without electronics. No real big deal, there is 2 sheets of 5g carbon cloth on the inside so I'll just bog it up, it won't effect the boat. Another good thing was nothing else broke or fell out

Ick,you have the technology.

I'll run through my low tech backyard bushy's build (I ain't no manuel).
    The battery tray that sits up top will act as an achor point for 2 of the lipo's, with the batteries held in position the cog is around 29-30% and I'll be able to run the other lipos, one in each sponson allowing plenty of adjustment. I cut a piece of 50x3mm aluminium T section to length so it can be jb wielded along with the carbon trays to the deck, I then ground out a slice just under 3/16" in the center of aluminium, cut a length of 3/16 rod that'll be longh enough to come through the hatch and bashed it in place with a hammer, as the rod centered itself, the thread bit into the aluminium giving it a good hold. I taped the area off and applied some jb wield on each side and it come up pretty well, I pulled and pushed and it seems strong enough but I suppose a few good crashes will show it's truths. I still need to apply some sticky rubber strips along the aluminium and carbon to cusion the lipos and sand things back and apply a finishing coat of resin. I will run a velcro strap around the lot when running for piece of mind.

Danny what's going on man hope all is well any new progress on the sprintcat yet I just ordered another 36 inch sprintcat as well to add to my collection of A.M hulls just a heads up on my last few builds I have been glueing in the battery trays with aquarium silicone and boy it works great on the positive side it adds some cushion also can be removed if a change of layout is desired I have not had one come loose on me yet with a few crashes in the high 60 low 70 mph range it's just about the best way I found to install them I know Manuel has used this same method in his SAW Hpr hull and he said it also works well for him
    Thanks
    chris g
    Last edited by Chrisg81983; 04-27-2012 at 07:30 AM.

I'm slowing things down for giggles, if another project I have on the go pull's through, this cat may become a 10-15kg fishing outfit. 2person excitement

Any news yet Danny

This is the first time in a few day's I've been on here and I think you've just enspired me to finish her off this week. I've been messing around with car's, plane's and a "hornet" tunnel hull and outboard boat that I picked up cheap for the kid's, it's a ball, on 2s2p 4400mah the kid's can punch the throttle and she takes off with a little mono and lands on the plane with a max speed of about 20-25kph, it's perfect because the kid's arn't scared of it as they are all the boat's I keep building. My shed's clean and ready to choose what to do this week, thanks chris, I'm back on the cat.

Glad to hear it buddy i am excited to see this cat finished it should move real well. I myself am about to finally start the one I got from chris (Dasboata) as well. I also just ordered my first Hpr 115 along with the rudder and drives. Manuel helped me out in getting it from hanspeter it should be here by the end of the week. I half to make sure I tie up all loose ends on my other projects before it gets here else I never will because alll my efforts will be going into the new Hpr. Good luck Chris g

Millzee, in the Conquest at 50+ for over 3 1/2 minutes running x447's on several occassions I have experienced my T180's shutdown momentarily. A few seconds later they come back on and are fine, but I usually bring it in. I now have mine setup similar with 3 extra caps and direct water cooling to the escs. I run 6s1p 5000 Turnigy's. Soon I'm going to install FC 8s 240a's and try running some x450/3 ...I will let you know how that goes. It will be 60+ at that point so I'm going to need to install hatch bolts ..I have just been using tape. It's good you're keeping the rudder long to start. I'm using the same Speedmaster rudder and it's perfect at full length.
    I did see that one, good job, thanks for the tips. I'm going to do the stuffing tubes this afternoon, then I can focus on the hatch seal, electronics and then I should be able to pull the pin, excuse the pun. I was a tad concerned with the 180's in a hull that size so the 240a aquastars will give me a little more piece of mind.

I have a t-180 running a 1717 on 6s2p with a 450/3 and no problems what so ever that way. The only times I have problems is when I try to put 1p to each 1717 they need to have a 2p setup unless you stay on the small side for props but that's a waste of the 1717 IMO as the 1717 can turn a pretty big wheel. Doing twins will also help take a little stress of the components.
    Chris g

That has been true for me as well ...meaning that I have not had any trouble with the T180s when I'm running 2p. I just don't like to do it because the boat is a lot heavier with twice the batteries, making it feel sluggish and with 1p the batteries aren't getting hot and runtime is good ...some 3300mah packs instead of 5000mah packs would probably be perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisg81983 View Post
    I have a t-180 running a 1717 on 6s2p with a 450/3 and no problems what so ever that way. The only times I have problems is wI try to put 1p to each 1717 they need to have a 2p setup unless you stay on the small side for props but that's a waste of the 1717 IMO as the 1717 can turn a pretty big wheel. Doing twins will also help take a little stress of the components.
    Chris g

I actually tried the sky lipos 4400 mah 40 c and they work great as a 2p setup I always ran Hyperion cells along wit thunder power but I must say I was very happy with the sky lipos even more than the gens ace packs

I have a few changes to the set up, I now have two monster 240 speedo's for this boat to take any worry out of way, one day it might see a motor swap out and 8s2p x2

Back on the table. Today I managed to get most of the noisy jobs done within daylight hours, after three days on a bobcat I gave myself today off to get some work done on the cat.
    New plan.....................

Just Kidding.
    I managed to get most the dremel work done to clean up the hull before finishing it off and added some more water cooling to go to the esc's.

You are sick ! Lol what are you doing with the gas setup ? I sold the twin 1717 setup I had for my sprint cat. I am now using a 2028, but won't be finished for a week or so. It looks really good, and glad to see you are back on the project. I thought you lost interest in it for a while.

I am thinking of doing a twin cat build in the future, I came across your today and the funnt thing is I was saying to myself the other day, what if I put the motors closer together instead of in the sponsoons and used struts instead of stingers, and boom theres your build and a nice one it is. All the ones I have seen have been the other way, is the way your doing it as common, with stuff closer and does it work well that way. It sure seems cleaner and probally the easyest of the two methods. I was wondering if there could be problems with the props being that close. I want to do a twin cheetah at some point, so any info on this topic you or anyone can give me would be great thanks.

I got some more sanding done and knocked up a center hatch lock to help hold the lid on. The hatch bends up at around this point so I think it'll work well along with a couple of pins in the front and the rear battery tray/ bolt down point, I can't see my hatch flying off in a hurry.

If anyones interested in finishing this project please contact me via pm. Please remember this is not a cheap hull and has been reinforced with carbon fiber, all the electrical components are brand new, it has new installed Speedmaster and Aeromarine hardware, a james williams custom twin 1717 motor mount fitted, a set of Dasboata worked stainless steel 5017/3 props(b&s and cutt back to approx.47mm) and much more. The layout has been designed to maximize space and COG adjustment, it'll be a very fun and fast boat but I'm looking at larger scale. This build has cost over $2100au so far but I'll be willing to ship it anywhere in Australia for only $1700au, you'll save well over $400 for all my hard work, lol.

I'd suggest putting this in the For Sale forum, a lot more folks will probably see it there.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

thanks fluid, I'll get a sales thread done today, I ran out of time last night, hey you'd have this thing flying in no time, lol.

After a long break and a few life changes, this boat is back on the building table. I have priotised my time better and can spend an hour or two in the afternoons (between customers) working on my builds. The cat now has the driveshafts fitted and over the next few days I plan on laying up the carbon/kevlar to pretty and strengthen the interior. There isn't a lot left to do but I'll only be doing what I can, when I can, I'll keep you posted.

After a long break and a few life changes, this boat is back on the building table. I have priotised my time better and can spend an hour or two in the afternoons (between customers) working on my builds. The cat now has the driveshafts fitted and over the next few days I plan on laying up the carbon/kevlar to pretty and strengthen the interior. There isn't a lot left to do but I'll only be doing what I can, when I can, I'll keep you posted.
    Have big boots to fill ! Haha
    --Albert Einstein

Hey,,, look who's back. Good goin' buddy. Glad to see you.

First update pic in a long while. I've installed the driveshafts and began laying carbon/kevlar cloth to finish off the interior.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast