Thread: SV 27 motor upgrade to Leopard 3674,Does the esc need upgrading as well

Default SV 27 motor upgrade to Leopard 3674,Does the esc need upgrading as well

A friend has an SV27 that he wants to fit a Leopard 3674 / 3D 2200kv to rub 4s, Will the esc need to be higher amp than the stock esc if so what size esc should be fitted. Many thanks.

What packs and prop does he want to run? The reason to run the larger motor would be to handle more amps to produce more watts to go faster - so I seriously doubt that the stock ESC will last long.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I dont know what packs he has or intends to get i only saw the boat briefly, All i know is he said he wanted to upgrade the motor to something like the Leopard 36 series purly to get more performance than the stock motor. But i thought he would also have to change the esc also, What would you suggest on the 3674 2200kv on 4s a 120amp esc or something with higher amps. Thanks.

Non, the SV is almost over powered stock, any faster and it just handles worse. Mine is almost stock and I never really know if it will finish a run upside down, gets all out of shape crossing it's own wake sometimes.
    Accept it for what it is. Fun on stock power.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

not true i had fun all day with mine running ul-1 motor esc combo on 42x55 that was sharp.you do still have to tune the boat with cog and a few weights under the motor.......but not nearly as bad as stock setups imo.

Cool

you do still have to tune the boat with cog and a few weights under the motor...
    Excellent point. The SV27 (or any FE boat for that matter) is a balance between lift and weight. Club members with SV27s added 8 oz under the motor and were able to run the boat faster in full control. I have added 1.25 lbs of lead to my Titan 40 4S to keep it on the water. Weight can be your friend, too many folks still obsess over low weight, then complain when their boats blow off the water. The new motor alone will add some weight.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Be interesting to see, testing a SV with a UL-1 this coming Saturday, that prop was claimed to be too big by a number of people. John's starting small and working his way up. I have serious doubts about the UL-1 can with a stock esc with a 42x55.
    The truth about that one will come out this Saturday! I see all kinds of claims I take with a grain of salt on these forums.
    Cheers all
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?