Thread: setting up liposhield in sv27

Exclamation setting up liposhield in sv27

hey guys,need abit of advice please..

just recieved an order from jan @ kintec (thanks buddy,very pleased with my 1st order) in which i ordered a liposhield...now after reading up it seems people have various problems when trying to install it,now ive taken a pic of how i would intall this but would like a 2nd,3rd,4th opinion please guys...

does this look the right way to install it?
    sorry about picture quality,was taken using my iphone

thanks again
    UK newbie to FE boats....go easy on me

That looks like the way to hook it up..is that the way it arrived?
    I am not sure about "setting up" that particular one , but with my novak smart-stop I have to have the esc already programed first without the lipo cutoff installed yet ...then the lipo cutoff can be installed and programed.

Daniel
    When you know it all.......you never will learn anything new

the standard stock esc doesnt have a lipo cut-off hence the need for the liposhield,to me it looks fair straight forward but id rather be safe than cocky :)

If that is how it was preassembled that way it should be right.......but it is ALWAYS better to ask than just screw it up.
    Hopefully someone with that setup will chime in to confirm it for you.
    Daniel

it wasnt already preassembled,my pic shows how i think it shud be set up,i havent connected anything til im advised thats how it should be done

yeh someone will prob be along shortly,hoping to get her running at the weekend as i havent run her at all yet

Thats the right way to wire it for a pair of batteries in series. I would ditch the Deans and use bullets, but thats just me.

John
    Change is the one Constant

Is it a 2s....3s...or a 4s lipo cutoff? Do you have a product #?
    Daniel

It's good for 2-12s lipo with 3.0v cutoff

I would cut away some of the insulation on the esc input wires (+ and -)and solder the wires of the lipo cutoff to the exposed portion of the power wires and shrink wrap the connections.
    Daniel

NO! Solder the Lipo Shield wires to the ESC side of the Deans, pos to pos and neg to neg, same as the ESC wires so that it is seeing the same voltage as the ESC. This is now part of your series harness. Not real sure what the other shrink wrapped Deans at the top of the picture are but ditch them, you don"t need them. Edit: Truckerdan is correct, did not see his post.
    Last edited by bwells; 08-26-2011 at 01:19 AM. Reason: addition

I've paid to have the deans soldered on so def not gona cut them off after paying $15 to have them put on!

I'm fairly certain how I've arranged the set up is fine without needing to solder wires to each other

I understand not wanting to cut them off...... but the extra 4 deans(2 male and 2 female) connectors that you had soldered, add resistance to the flow of power from the batteries to the esc and that could add heat to the wires and esc.
    If you are going to keep the extra deans plugs make sure that the lipo shield wires are wired in the correct polarity (+ to + and - to -) of the esc.
    Daniel

would heat really be an issue on stock running gear?

Quote Originally Posted by 1truckerdan View Post
    If you are going to keep the extra deans plugs make sure that the lipo shield wires are wired in the correct polarity (+ to + and - to -) of the esc.
    Daniel
    He does have the lipo cut off wired to the right polarities. If you cant see it, take a moment and draw the circuit out on paper. Dont confuse this guy, like its not correct. It is wired to the battery leads of the ESC. Just further down the circuit. That fact wont change its function unless he forgets to install the extra Deans. I agree that dumping the Deans is amost a requirement.

Lee, any and every attempt to reduce circuit IR (internal resistance) delivers more efficiency to your systems performance. Having extra connections, long wires, can and will create un-necessary heat. And the connectors we use in our hobby, whether Dean's/bullets or what ever connector choosen, get dirty pretty fast. And its not likely to be visable to the naked eye. As part of any maintenance plan, like cleaning and re greasing the flex shaft, everyone should get some q-tips soaked in good ole rubbing alcohol and clean their connnectors. Its cheap protection and takes but a few moments. Just my 2 cents.

John
    Change is the one Constant

Well in the picture it looks like on the (Right) deans on the adapter the (red + from the lipo shield)might be connected to the (-) side of the deans plug
    and the (left) one looks like the (black - from the lipo shield) might be connected to the (+) side of the deans plug.

This is how the deans on the esc are .....just make sure the lipo shield is wired the same.

deans.JPG
    Daniel

If it is wired the way it looks it will still work .... but the lipo shield will only monitor the middle 2 cells (cells 2 and 3) of a 2s 2p setup.
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by 1truckerdan View Post
    If it is wired the way it looks it will still work .... but the lipo shield will only monitor the middle 2 cells (cells 2 and 3) of a 2s 2p setup.
    Daniel
    2p set up?

I dont see how it can only monitor cells 2&3??

Let me try to make it as simple as I can as it can get very confusing...
    The (-)wire of the lipo shield needs to be hooked to the (-) side of the first pack in the series ......
    and the (+) side of the lipo shield needs to be hooked up to the (+) side of the LAST pack in the series to monitor ALL the cells.
    Here is how it should be wired
    2s2p set up.JPG
    I hope this helps
    Daniel

Ok,thats how ive got it havent i?

If not,how do i know which lipo is first and last?
    Im guessing the theory is to have the liposhield running with the circuit

The pack connected to the (-) black wire that is coming from the ESC is the 1st pack
    ....the one connected to the (+) red wire that is coming from the ESC is the 2nd pack
    The black wire that goes between the two deans plugs just connects the 2 packs in series
    Daniel

after closer inspection,ive noticed the diagram uve drawn is exactly how my set is,the negative (-) on the lipo shield would connect to the (-) on the esc and lipo pin (1st pack) and same for the positives (+) (2nd pack) the positive pins on the liposhield match with the same pins on the esc and lipo

a little pic...

Kool beans..... I am sorry to have confused you earlier
    I'm glad I could help.
    Always remember...the only dumb question is the one not asked
    Daniel

no buddy its fine,
    i only got confused as to what was the "correct" way to connect it up and a "better" way to connect it up

appreciate the help tho

gona try get it running for tmw but got a few new bits to install like

servo & rx tray
    velcro strips for lipos
    new hatch lock
    new aerial mount

a few little bits,then i need to look at getting it set up correctly..trim tabs,strut and CoG

leeuk,

Could you update us on how well the Lipo shield is working? Would you go this route again or just invest in a new ESC? What Lipo packs are you running and how are your temps and run times?

Thanks,

Dave