Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Blueprinting UL-1 Motor Wires

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    As we've shown, and discussed at length over the years... spec'ing props doesn't solve anything... Those that can tweak will and game over. Plus, different hulls require different props... You'd turn a LIMITED (not "spec'd) motor class into a Limited Hull Class... Sounds a lot like Spec SV27 to me...

Racing is going to be racing, regardless of the motor used. There isn't a magic bullet, outside of spec'ing an entire boat system, that will prevent some from succeeding, some failing, some equipment surviving, and some not... Doug had it just right... just a LITTLE bit of time spent learing to tune a boat will go a long ways. People talk about how hard we are on equipment "out west here"... yet, I can't recall a motor being sacrificed yet, especially in the name of a trophy. My P-Ltd OPC Lynx, which has proven to be "pretty fast", draws right around 85-95 Amps... comes in after a 1-Mile heat, running 15-second lap times (NAMBA 6-Lap record setter Twice this year with a 1:30.6, and just last week with a 1:28.44) at right around 110-degrees... Running a 42x55 on a UL-1 motor.

Racing is racing... and the P-Limited classes continue to have high participation. SOMETHING must be right about the formula...

Oh, and the whole "beginners class" is a complete misnomer... It's a limited class, from and equipment perspective, so it's more "beginner friendly", but I don't think the general intent was for it to be for beginners only. It's a way for EVERYONE to compete on a more restricted playing field. That's it.

I don't think anyone has ever considered the Limited classes a true beginners class but as you said it's a great place to get your feet wet. That's why some of us might be overprotective of the class. I'm glad you guys on the west coast don't burn up gear in the name of taking home wood but there have been dozens of posts that indicate it does happen in other parts of the country. Why do I care so much about the rest of the country when I'm happy with the way things are going in my district? Because potential racers in my are read these posts and it may discourage them from getting into racing. When I read posts recommending a new Limited racer "pick up a couple spare motors if you want to be competitive", I cringe.

Cool

As we've shown, and discussed at length over the years... spec'ing props doesn't solve anything... Those that can tweak will and game over....You'd turn a LIMITED (not "spec'd) motor class into a Limited Hull Class....
    Actually our club has had very good success with a "spec" N2 Sport Hydro class. All motors are the same, and the club bought identical S&B props which everyone has to use as-in, no tweaking. If that ever becomes an issue in the future we'll just collect all the props after each heat and randomly redistribute them - problem swolved. We have three different hulls running very close together in speed, that means very close racing. Would this work in the P-Limited classes? Probably too complex, especially since the current formula is so successful. We developed this "club class" to allow our older LSH hulls to still race since P-Limited power was too much for the smaller hulls. Speeds are still upper 40s....

...Oh, and the whole "beginners class" is a complete misnomer... It's a limited class, from and equipment perspective, so it's more "beginner friendly", but I don't think the general intent was for it to be for beginners only....
    That's how it is today, although the original LSH class was designed to be a beginner's class. From the 2006 NAMBA rule book: "Experienced racers are strongly urged to consider the skill level of the opponents when running in this class, since the intent is to encourage less skilled racers to have success." .

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I may be wrong, but i think the scale unlimited guys run a spec'd prop. They have different hulls, running the same prop. It used to be a carbon prop. but its been a while since I asked.

Times have changed, as you guys know there are cnc props that can be used and restricted to leave as is.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

I will give you this... spec'd props would make this game a lot less expensive, and less time consuming...

I vote for the ABC 42x55 or the GrimRacer (yes, the competition... ) 42x55...

Would make this an AQ2030 game, but it's pretty much that at this point anyhow... If you spec props, it certainly will be...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Actually our club has had very good success with a "spec" N2 Sport Hydro class. All motors are the same, and the club bought identical S&B props which everyone has to use as-in, no tweaking. If that ever becomes an issue in the future we'll just collect all the props after each heat and randomly redistribute them - problem swolved. We have three different hulls running very close together in speed, that means very close racing. Would this work in the P-Limited classes? Probably too complex, especially since the current formula is so successful. We developed this "club class" to allow our older LSH hulls to still race since P-Limited power was too much for the smaller hulls. Speeds are still upper 40s....

That's how it is today, although the original LSH class was designed to be a beginner's class. From the 2006 NAMBA rule book: "Experienced racers are strongly urged to consider the skill level of the opponents when running in this class, since the intent is to encourage less skilled racers to have success." .

What motor and prop do you guys run in N2 spec' Hydro??
    Nortavlag Bulc

I'm in the northwest and I've burned up six UL1 motors this year. I do think the quality of the motors has changed. At the beginning of the year I decided to change the motors in my LSH and my spec rigger -- both boats ran the same motor all year long (13 races). The first race of this year, the third heat, the motor burns up in LSH. The second heat the motor burns up in the rigger. Race two: new motors in both boats, running the same props as last year, both motors fried. Third race: Bill and I decided to try the new Castle Mamba 2 car controllers. We thought this controller would work good because it's waterproof and has a built-in fan. I set the timing to 8. First heat, the motor burns up. Bill's boat comes in and the temperature is 165. He runs it the second heat and his motor burns up. So, for the hell of it, I put a 240 ICE in the LSH, now I'm running the timing to 6 (I'm a little gun-shy now). First heat the motor comes in at 145, pulled the controller out and stuck the Castle 120 back in the boat and I also depitched the prop back to 3.0. We had out Gold Cup Race a week and a half ago; we have two lap time trials. I decided to stick a 447 to try for two laps; the boat goes 1-1/4 lap, the motor burns up. What bugs me is that I ran all last year with the same motor and prop without any problems. I've sent back 11 motors so far this year; they did replace three under warranty and a discount on the others. With the motors I've run this year it's like a new learning curve. The problem is I run six boats and five of them have UL1 motors and the 1/10 scale has a Pro-Boat.

Greg - are you serious or are you pulling our leg?
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

Quote Originally Posted by DPeterson View Post
    Greg - are you serious or are you pulling our leg?
    Doug, He's serious... I've seen some of it. It's very odd...

If you guys recall, the same thing happened to Pro Boat a few years ago... BJ26 motors were burning up left and right... Manufacturer changed the process for assembling the stators... essentially SKIPPING epoxying in the wires to the iron... They had shortened the magnets in the rotor as well. Luckily, I disected one and caught it pretty quickly and they (Pro Boat) were able to get them made correctly again.

All that said, it's still a decent and fun form of racing, locally especially. It makes a good place for those with off-the-shelf equipment to have a fun, competitive day, and in most venues, I think they can be reasonably successful, or at least enough to try to learn to race. At a National level, the purpose builts have the obvious advantage, but a well setup and driven RTR can still be competitive.

If this economy would ever get back on track... I think that more would venture from the RTR/P-Ltd formula into more open classes, but until that happens, I think this may have helped keep the hobby alive a bit.

Just my view from the lense I have available. :)

Looking forward, Doug, to seeing that new Trailer of yours parked next to Haines next year! Should provide the rest of us with some nice WiFi, Hi-Def, surround-sound entertainment! :)

When Greg said he stuck a 447 on the boat i thought for sure he was kidding. As aggressive as I am I can't imagine a 447 on a 2030. Must be really - really worked.

Darin - Looking forward to meeting you finally at Michigan. My trailer will be mostly set up for hauling as 3-4 of us travel together. However once we get the RC stuff out we will have fold out couch's, beer cooler, disco lights and a stripper pole. :) I expect our pit to be a popular area. :)

Doug
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

When Greg said he stuck a 447 on the boat i thought for sure he was kidding. As aggressive as I am I can't imagine a 447 on a 2030. Must be really - really worked.
    I think that his props are generally worked and reduced in diameter. Not too sure beyond that.

...and a stripper pole. :) I expect our pit to be a popular area. :)
    I think you just one-up'd Ken there on that one... :)

Darin - Looking forward to meeting you finally at Michigan. My trailer will be mostly set up for hauling as 3-4 of us travel together. However once we get the RC stuff out we will have fold out couch's, beer cooler, disco lights and a stripper pole. :) I expect our pit to be a popular area. :)

Doug
    Hey Doug, Be careful on the pole, it's bad for your back.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Doug
    Hey Doug, At your age I'd be careful on the pole, it's bad for your back.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

LOL Tony. I have been working out so I will be in good shape for the pole dance. Can't wait to show off my tight under cheeks and such.

I am traveling all week living in hotel rooms and working weird hours. We'll hook up by phone next week.

Doug
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

I wish that there was a born on date or lot # stamped on each motor so we could tell what batch a particular motor belongs to... Similar to ammunition lot #s.

DOB I would sure like to see that myself.
    Do It Like You Mean It .....or Don't Bother

Quote Originally Posted by doby View Post

Attachment 105117
    lol
    Do It Like You Mean It .....or Don't Bother

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567