Thread: Servo Slow Down Module for my Tunnel

Cool Servo Slow Down Module for my Tunnel

Most all servos are really quick; a requirement for r/c cars and planes (and most boats). My tunnel needs a real carefull hand on the wheel to not over-control it. Too-quick an input turning in or pulling out of a turn can put it on it's head. Exponential settings didn't cut it, so I bought this doohickey for $19.95. Adjustable sweep from .7 to 14.7 seconds; a very mild setting slows the outdrive just enough. Haven't tested it on the water, but I'm very confident that this will make my tunnel driving much smoother.

DSC02468.JPGDSC02467.JPGDSC02469.JPG
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Most higher end (read racing) radio's from Futaba and Airtroncs have this feature built in. Don't get me wrong, most of the cost of these radios are just because of the name. But they do have some features that are 'must haves' for racing. That said, if you can get something like this for $20. that just makes the score that much better.
    Current IMPBA P-O/B Tunnel SAW record holder with avg time of 3.358 seconds @ 67.004 MPH.
    Owner Worlds fastest record setting Lynx with average time of 3.287 seconds @ 68.451 MPH.

Smocktura Props!

I've used that function on my FASST 4PK on a cat that was hooking badly (rudder too short). It helped a lot and was easy to do. Good thinking Tony!

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Most all servos are really quick; a requirement for r/c cars and planes (and most boats). My tunnel needs a real carefull hand on the wheel to not over-control it. Too-quick an input turning in or pulling out of a turn can put it on it's head. Exponential settings didn't cut it, so I bought this doohickey for $19.95. Adjustable sweep from .7 to 14.7 seconds; a very mild setting slows the outdrive just enough. Haven't tested it on the water, but I'm very confident that this will make my tunnel driving much smoother.

DSC02468.JPGDSC02467.JPGDSC02469.JPG
    Tony,
    Have you tested this yet? My exponential does some good, but I'd be curious about this puppy on the water...
    Pete
    Support US hobby suppliers

Quote Originally Posted by Insaniac View Post
    Tony,
    Have you tested this yet? My exponential does some good, but I'd be curious about this puppy on the water...
    Pete
    Pete,

My results were inconclusive. In general, it didn't work well but the results were muddied by a bad acting servo. The one thing I've found is that my tunnel (Herb Stewart 30") has different turn radii depending on how fast the boat is going. Replacing the servo with a better one, and very careful wheel control has made it more driveable. Still not where I want it, 'tho. After chatting with Mike L. yesterday I believe there's a ML 295 in my future !
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

When I went to a Spectrum 3R pro it made all the difference in the world when I could change the way my tunnel turned. Like props a small difference can mean a whole lot in the final outcome.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

For my VS-1 tunnel I'm using -30% exponential on the transmitter and that keeps it from hooking...not perfect, but made a big difference. How about combining the exponential with some D/R?
    Support US hobby suppliers