Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toysport Triton Build

Default Toysport Triton Build

I have finally found some spare time to almost complete my Toysport Triton.
    Haven't decided on a colour scheme yet but the gel coat finish is so good I don't want to paint over it so will probably just put some decals on.
    I thought the rear deck looked a bit bare so I carved some dummy air scoops from wood and had my pet car painter paint them to match the white gel coat.
    She is powered by a Feigao 8XL with Hydra 120 and will have to settle for some old IB3800s for now.
    Lipos in the future or maybe some A123 cells.
    The trim tabs are speedmaster and the rudder blade is Aeromarine but everything else on the stern is homemade from scrap aluminium and stainless steel I had cluttering up my workshop.
    I'll let you know how she performs when she eventually gets her bum wet.
    Graham.
    Attached Images Attached Images

looks good!
    NAMBA #581
    Q mono NAMBA record holder
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

Very Nice!!! Boat looks great, you did a nice job on the hardware...

Where did you find the little red ano. clamps for the waterlines??

Thanks, Rich

Hi Rich
    The 'hose clamps' are actually soft copper wire bought as a roll from electrical supplies shop.
    If you look at the picture of the rudder you can see that the wire is wound twice around the tube and then twisted up tight with pliers and then the ends cut off neat with side cutters.
    Fooled ya huh !
    I've always done my fuel and water lines this way, simple and cheap, just like me.
    Graham.

Fooled ya huh !
    I've always done my fuel and water lines this way, simple and cheap, just like me.
    Graham.
    [/QUOTE]

Graham, thanks for the info, I think it is a great idea!

You picked a very nice hull and powersystem, to be "simple and cheap"...

Excellent work Graham. After seeing the non flod chamber set up I am convinced it's how I would go. Well done!!

Default .

Looked awsome today Graham, compliments on the hardware again!
    Can't wait to see it IN the water
    Tyler.

Looks great Graham! Love the scoops, they look really good.

Nice job on the hardware too, looks like you were considering some lightening holes on that rudder bracket

Keep us up to date once you giver her a run.

Cheers,
    Scott

Hi Scott

Good spotting, you weren't supposed to see my pencil marks on the bracket.
    I still might drill out the lightening holes, I doubt whether it will make much difference to the weight but it will add to the 'cool' factor.
    This boat was the last Triton that Andrew G had in stock so I couldn't resist the good deal.
    Graham W and Jason have Deltas running with 7,8,and 9 XLs which are claimed to be faster than the Triton, so I might have to resort to desperate and cunning driving techniques to beat them.

Cheers
    Graham.

Boat looks really awesome Graham.
    Cant wait to see it running
    maybe next race day possibly ?

Bit worried about your desperate and cunning driving techniques LOL

Jason

I think if you can catch the Delta hulls just let the chine walk smack em off the coarse!! This is just an idle thought and I in NO way condone such trickery!!! Ha Ha

Graham, cutting out those holes would look pretty cool.

You just have to beat those Deltas to the start line, and make the Triton 3 feet wide!

Aaaah thanks guys, some Aussie racing tips.
    As an innocent and honest Kiwi I would never have thought of such things.!!!!!
    Graham.

You don't play rugby for the All Blacks then!!

At last I got to give the Triton her maiden voyage with 4S 5000 lipos.
    The weather was rubbish but she was flying, literally.
    Tried her first with a conservative X442 prop which clocked 43.5 mph and after a minute came in and checked that all temps were fine.
    I then borrowed a friends M445 and tossed her back into the water, which was getting rougher by now, and clocked 45.4 mph but decided to quit while it was still right side up. I haven't put any floatation in yet.
    After some of the bad comments about the bad handling of the Triton all I can say is bollocks !!
    It is rock steady with no chine walking and rides on the flat pad, and handled the waves and wind fine.
    Might be a different story when I get up to your speed Andy ( 53.5 mph )
    So if anyone else out there is thinking about getting a Toysport Triton ( from OSE of course ) go for it. They will give those Deltas a run for there money.
    Graham
    Last edited by G Doggett; 04-13-2008 at 02:22 AM.

Graham I actualy clocked 58mph with 1521 nue in her but there is no way you could race her at that speed, all over the place. Under 50mph it was good. The hull seems to hit the handling wall just over 50mph. Good luck. I am sure there are things that can be done like blue printing the bottom of the hull etc that will help. Bloody great photo though!!

Here's another shot showing the sort of conditions we were running in today.
    The Triton didn't seem to care , but I chickened out and called it a day.
    Thanks for the photos Mark.
    Graham.

Graham it was good to see the Triton run today,nice to see a boat that runs and looks like a full size offshoreboat should, handled really well considering the rough conditions.
    It showed up my Delta for handling (a faster top speed is no good to you if you cant keep it on the water )

all the bad comments put me of at the time, but look's like you will have a great race boat there.

Jason

i love the look of the shallow V boats

they just look so sleek.

Great looking boat!
    It looks awesome out there on the water!

the white really does look excellent on it

Default Triton's vs. the world

Hey Graham! Congrats man!
    I ran my Big Johnson Triton for the first time yesterday...maiden voyage was it's first race with the club..

I also ran an 8XL...started with a m445 - 47.1, motor came in too hot, so I put on a 42x55...a bit better, but speed was 43ish.
    I was scared it wouldn't handle either from what everybody said, but that turns out to be total crap...the thing handled like it was on rails!

Competition was a bit weak, but 3 heats = 3 wins for me so I took Pmono 1st for the day in my untested boat! I was grinning alot...okay, I'm still grinning.
    It'll be different once everyone else gets their boats going (and Brian shows up), but at least I won't have to battle the DF's with my modded SV anymore.

Well done Corey.
    3 out of 3 first time in the water is brilliant.
    Like you I will be running against some quick Deltas but I'm sure the Triton can hold its own.
    I have set mine up with the motor as low as possible and mounted the 2 lipo packs side by side in the centre ahead of the motor to keep the c/g low to reduce or prevent chine walking.
    While running on the weekend I could see that on calm water ( yes there were some calm patches ) the boat runs with only the rear of the flat pad and the trim tabs in contact with the water, the rest of the hull is airborne.
    I keep going back and looking at that first picture that Mark took and grinning - think I will make it a screen saver.
    It looks just like a full size offshore action shot.
    I must put some decals on now and give her a name.I was going to call her Outta Control but coz the handling is so good that doesn't seem fair.
    Give those Deltas hell man.
    Graham.
    Last edited by G Doggett; 04-14-2008 at 04:55 PM.

yeah...okay I'll admit it...there were only 2 other boats in the race, and they were still in need of setup work...but I'm still happy.
    I was running really wet, so I know I can get more speed and better motor temps with some CG adjustments. I really liked the performance I got out of my tortured 8XL...some water cooling (it's currently only fin-cooled) will get me some better temps too.
    I agree, these hulls just look bada$$!

I'm trying to cook the 8XL so I have an excuse to put the Neu in. muahahaha

My setup is a bit different...it was originally built by someone else, so the motor is mounted quite far forward...unfortunately the burly stringers are too close to eachother to put the packs in the middle, so they ride along side the rails, but I experienced no chinewalking whatsoever. Just ran really solidly!
    Last edited by Ctonez; 04-14-2008 at 09:21 PM.

I'm so pleased with the way my Triton performs and looks that I treated her to $30 worth of vinyl decals last night.
    I've gone for a semi scale european offshore look, mainly because it is simple and doesn't hide the natural lines of the hull.
    I like it anyway, hope you do too.
    The last shot is for Steven, got to put in a plug for the worlds best model boat shop.
    If it doesn't rain I'll give her another run this weekend with her new colours.
    Tritons rock
    Graham.

sorry didnt see the top post? But how did the 8xl with 3800's perform

Who did the vinal grafix?? Looks real good!!!

Gorgeous!
    Looks great Graham.
    I'm taking your lead and running an x442 this weekend.
    I'm trying to cool the motor temps a bit.

Sometimes I go to my garage and take the covers off of the Triton just to stare at it. Am I sick?

Quote Originally Posted by Ctonez View Post
    Am I sick?

Of course you are... we ALL are!!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Cory - don't feel bad about sneaking into the garage for a look, mine is sitting in my office at the moment, so I must have it worse than you !!!

Richard - The grafix were done by a local shop here in Auckland NZ.

Kenwood - I did do a trial run with the 8XL and 3800s but the performance was pathetic.
    This is a big hull and even though the all up weight is only just over 5 lb it is still a lot of boat to push.
    The switch to lipos was an instant transformation with speeds in the mid 40s.
    Graham.

Graham, that is niiiiiiiice! All your boats are so well presented, and normally fast too!

Well done, she's a beauty. I like the real offshore look. Hopefully we'll catch up for a race on one side of the ditch next year so I can see her in person.

Cheers,
    Scott

that boat is my future wife!
    lol
    j/k
    amazing work
    snort pixi sticks=symptoms-:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast