Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 2012 NAMBA FE Nationals June 19th-23rd @ Legg Lake

Wilmer, I have no idea what you just said, but I'm glad that you're jazzed about the event! Me, too.

No need to clarify...we'll do it in person in a week. And, I'm holding you to your "relaxation" comment.

Is there no website for the nats?
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by D. Newland View Post
    Wilmer, I have no idea what you just said, but I'm glad that you're jazzed about the event! Me, too.

No need to clarify...we'll do it in person in a week. And, I'm holding you to your "relaxation" comment.
    David, you deciphered that correct I'm Stoked to be there! Best part is that since I'll be there a week my cousins from South Central LA and Long Beach get to come see me!
    They've heard so many great things about how I've been treated down there at Legg Lake they wanna' come see it in action!!!

This is gonna' be a FUN race!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BILL OXIDEAN View Post
    They've heard so many great things about how I've been treated down there at Legg Lake they wanna' come see it in action!!!
    Bill... You are kind of setting yourself up here... The meaning behind these comments isn't lost on people. Let's not turn this into a sink-hole of bitter feelings... Please...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Bill... You are kind of setting yourself up here... The meaning behind these comments isn't lost on people. Let's not turn this into a sink-hole of bitter feelings... Please...
    LoL! You must be misinterpreting me.
    My cousins from Long Beach came and saw me at RCX and LOVED watching the boats.
    I told them I would be racing at Legg, and they want to see it in action..

Default 2012 NAMBA FE Nats Results

Here's the class results from the Nats:

Wednesday
    N-2 Mono
    1st Dave Newland 1600
    2nd Jason Sims 1300
    3rd Dougie Twaits 1250

P Sport Hydro
    1st Jason Sims 1600
    2nd Jim Osborne 1325
    3rd Ken Haines 950

P Hydro
    1st Dougie Twaits 1225
    2nd Dave Newland 1169
    3rd Mike Paganelli 1000

P-Ltd Cat
    1st Brian Buaas 1500
    2nd Tony Heller 1400
    3rd Ted Mckay 1225

Q Mono
    1st Dave Newland 1200
    2nd Ken Haines 700
    3rd Tyler Garrard 675

Thursday
    N-2 Offshore
    1st Jason Sims 40 1/4
    2nd Dave Newland 40
    3rd Dougie Twaits 38 3/4

P-Ltd Offshore
    1st Jason Sims 40
    2nd Lenny Blake 39 3/4
    3rd Jim Osborne 39 1/2

P Offshore
    1st Dave Newland 45
    2nd Mike Paganelli 43
    3rd Ted Mckay 43

Q Offshore
    1st Dave Newland 44 1/4
    2nd Tyler Garrard 42
    3rd Mike Paganelli 38

T Offshore
    1st Tyler Garrard 44 1/2
    2nd Mike Paganelli 33 1/2
    3rd Ken Haines 18 1/4

Friday
    N-2 Sport Hydro
    1st Jason Sims 1100
    2nd Ken Haines 950
    3rd Wilmer Oxidean 894

P-Ltd Mono
    1st Dave Newland 1600
    2nd Ken Haines 1225
    3rd Darin Jordan 1150

P-Ltd OPC
    1st Kylie Morana 1250
    2nd Brian Buaas 1100
    3rd Darin Jordan 969

1/6 Crackerbox
    1st Dick Roberts 994
    2nd Kim McKay 725
    3rd Wilmer Oxidean 700

P Mono
    1st Mike Paganelli 1369
    2nd Dave Newland 1225
    3rd Ken Haines 1150

Q Hydro
    1st Mike Paganelli 1500
    2nd Ken Haines 575
    3rd Dougie Twaits 425

T Sport Hydro
    1st Brian Buaas 1100
    2nd Tyler Garrard 725
    3rd Randy Naylor 75

1/10 Modern Hydro
    1st Ted Mckay 1138
    2nd Ron Daum 850
    3rd Dick Roberts 850

Saturday
    N-2 Hydro
    1st Darin Jordan 1300
    2nd Ken Haines 1225
    3rd Tom Lavescy 275

P-Ltd Hydro
    1st Dave Newland 1325
    2nd Jason Sims 1300
    3rd Dougie Twaits 1296

P-Ltd Sport
    1st Jason Sims 1500
    2nd Tyler Garrard 1325
    3rd Brian Buaas 1225

1/10 Vintage Hydro
    1st Leonard Feeback 1325
    2nd Ron Daum 1300
    3rd Ted McKay 650

T Mono
    1st Dave Newland 1400
    2nd Ken Haines 1125
    3rd Mark Frerriera 775

1/8 Scale Hydro
    1st Brian Buaas 1600
    2nd Dick Roberts 750
    3rd Gary Rose 350

Default More Results....

Concourse
    1st John Morana Oh Boy Oberto
    2nd Dick Roberts Blue Chip
    3rd Ron Daum Wildroot Charlie

High Points Champion Jason Sims

Team Points Champions

Team AZ 2602 points
    Dave Newland
    Jim Osborne
    Ted McKay

Team Wave Blasters 2169 points
    Ken Haines
    Jason Sims
    Wilmer Oxidean

Team ?? #1 2101 points
    Mike Paganelli
    Dougie Twaits
    John Morana

Team ?? #2 1784 points
    Brian Buaas
    Darin Jordan
    Tyler Garrard
    Last edited by PatrickM; 06-25-2012 at 07:24 PM.

I heard Darin ran this class with not your typical hull!

N-2 Hydro 1st Darin Jordan 1300
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    I heard Darin ran this class with not your typical hull!

N-2 Hydro 1st Darin Jordan 1300
    Yep.... with a cat!

Congratulations fellas!!!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

24 classes.. holycow

What was the boat and driver count?

Grim

I'm still getting caught up at work, but I'll feed some info about our event throughout the week.

First off, hats off to Jason Sims for taking High Points again this year. If he wasn't winning the class, he was typically second. His consistency, and a top performing LSH Whip is what got him past my point total. We were literally within a few points of each other at the end of each day.

Team Points went to The Scottsdale Model Boaters, with me, Jim Osborne and Ted McKay making up the team. Both Jim and Ted come from the nitro/gas world and have aquired a few FE boats during the past year or so and they are right up there with the best of us. In fact, Jim only signed up for 4 classes and we had to pick 3 of them for Team Points. He finished strong in all 4 of his classes.

N-2 Mono started off the event and it was dominated by the Delta Force 26's. Legg Lake has great water and these boats really sang that high RPM tune with every heat.

P Sport Hydro-It was hard to get past Jason's Whip with full P Power, but congratulations to Jim Osborne for taking 2nd place with a UL-1 powered Insane hull.

P Hydro. What can I say. Twaits in action. Pure and simple.

P-Ltd Cat was a very competitive class as well and congratulations to Buaas for almost sweeping it, and for Tony collecting 1400 points as well. Ted McKay dusted off his box-stock Geico (ok-not stock prop), complete with inline rudder, and gave chase to the field. He pulled off 3rd place, too.

Q Mono was a great class and I thought I shot myself in the foot in the first round as my boat barely left the pits. Didn't tighten the collet. But, I was able to win the next 3 rounds to take the win.

N-2 Offshore. Talk about evenly tuned boats. Sims and I were only 1/4 lap apart at the end of the 4th round, with Sims taking the win.

P-Ltd Offshore. The top 4 drivers were only separated by 1 lap. Jason took the win, but congratulations to Lenny Blake for taking 2nd place with a newly built Titan 29. Also, Osborne was right there in 3rd place with a Cyberstorm.

P-Offshore. My Titan was running very well all weekend. I finished with 45 laps total over 4 rounds, and that was the top lap count for any offshore class that ran that day. Mike Pags and Ted McKay were tied going into the 4th round and were also in the same heat. Ted and I spilled that secret to Pags on the drivers stand because he wasn't sure of the standings, and those two did battle for the next 4 minutes. Mike got the start, and never let his lead over Ted go. They were never more than 6 or so boat lengths apart for the entire race, with Pags being the lead boat at the end of the race, and we used that to break the tie as they did finish on the same exact lap count.

One fantastic moment during the 3rd round was between me, Ted and Mike Shaunnessy. All three of us started and rounded turn 1 and it seemed that I had lane 1, Ted had lane 2, and Mike had lane 1 1/2. All three of us blasted down the 400 foot backstretch and all 3 of us knew that Shaunnessy's green cat was between me and Ted somewhere, but nobody could see it...including Mike. I actually thought he backed off or that I would pull away from him. Nope. All 3 boats maintained the most perfect lane direction and we just couldn't see his cat behind my boat and rooster for what seemed like 4 seconds. I got scared and dived for the offshore pin early, cutting it, and then exposing Mike's cat so he could them steer it around the pin!

Q Offshore. Pags has had a good run winning Q Offshore for many, many years, but I de-throned him this year. He's pissed. Not really. But kind of.

T Offshore. Mike had a driveline explode in his cat, tearing a section of the hull and all. I thought he was done. After all, he was running all 5 classes that day. Nope, somehow he managed to find time to rebuild it and get the cat back on the water. However, the lost laps cost him and Tyler had a very good running hull. Ken was running a new full on 10S build and it still needs a little more setup time.

N-2 Sport. More Jason Sims and his Whiplash in action. It's a combo that's really hard to beat.

P-Ltd Mono. I braved the smaller hull choice with this class, using a Delta Force 26, because Legg Lake lays down nicely. Congratluations to Darin for taking 3rd place with the RTR Impulse 31, too.

OPC-The highlight of the event, hands down. We had all chunked heat before the 4th round, except for Kylie Morana. Her consistent driving helped her pull off 4 very strong finishes for the over all win. On the last lap of the 4th round, she was getting chased by some lunatic driving a purple Cobra and it was a drag race to the finish, with Kylie edging out the Cobra by 2 boat lengths. She got to take the celabratory swim in Legg Lake!

Crackerbox. Congratulations to Dick Roberts. Also, Kim McKay took 2nd place at her very first FE Nationals!

P Mono. Pags was so upset at me for taking Q Offshore, that his main goal in life that day was to keep P Mono away from me. I've never won P Mono and I thought this was my year. I finished the first 3 rounds with a perfect 1200 points, and Mike wasn't far behind. Going into the 4th round, I had a commanding lead after 3 laps, but got caught up in some kind of cross wake or something and as my boat rounded turn 1 it took flight, submarined, then came up upside down, all I could hear was Pags yelling in the pits! He got me. But I know he's losing sleep over the thought of the Q Offshore award hanging on my wall.

Q Hydro. It was all Pags. 1500 points. I will have one of these next year, too.

T Sport Hydro. Buaas has a great running T boat and dominated this class and 1/8th Scale as well.

1/10th Modern. Congratulations to Ted McKay for his first FE title! Yes-he got to swim in Legg Lake, too.

N-2 Hydro. Darin said to me early in the morning that he was going to throw in his cat just to get some racing in. Turns out he scored 1300 points and got the class win!

P-Ltd Hydro. I think I will frame the heat sheet that had me, Buaas, Grim, Twaits, Stark and Morana. The amount of talent on the drivers stand was impressive. 29 points separated 1st through 3rd place.

P-LSH. Again, the Sims/whiplash combo is a tough one to crack! As always, this was the most attended class of the entire event.

1/10th Vintage went to Leonard Feeback, who has gone nearly 40 years since his last National Championship! Congratulations!

T Mono. I don't remember what Tyler was running here, but I think it was his 6S Q boat. That's what I was running, and Mark and Ken had monster 10S monos on the water. Ken had the boat to beat, but he had a charging issue during round 2 and he needed to pull his boat into the infield for a DNF. I locked down 1400 points for the win.

1/8th Scale. Buaas ripped off a 1600 pt day with his Executone. It's a very good running hull.

SoCal FE and the Scottsdale Model Boaters offer our special thanks to Lenny Blake for calling the race, Ted McKay for pulling his travel trailer from Az to provide pit security, Jim Osborne for being my go-to guy for just about everything, Tracy Osborne for handling the sign ups, raffle and post-race data for the NAMBA website, Pat McDonald for meticulously keeping the heat sheets and scoring updated, revised and posted, Mark Grim for handling the Whittier Narrows/Legg Lake Park items, keeping the course set, doing some retrieval boat motor tuning and providing me a socket set to change my truck battery mid-race on Saturday, Kim Grim for busting her butt on Sunday getting the Drivers Stand cleaned, then spending 2 days cooking us a most fabulous lunch, Jeff Michaud for helping us with lunch on Saturday and for having a happy hour party/taco feed at his home on Thursday, and Mike Pags for throwing down his credit card for the alcohol at the banquet.

And lastly, a special thank you to my roommate, Dougie Twaits, for hanging in there with a positive attitude for this event, knowing that 84 pounds of his FE gear is (still) lost at UPS. He had enough gear and loaner equipment to get boats on the water, but it's just not the same as if he had his own equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimracer View Post
    24 classes.. holycow

What was the boat and driver count?

Grim
    35 racers not counting the 4 no-shows, with 212 boats. Some boats pulled double and triple duty running more than 1 class.

How did old fireball Haines do?

Cool

How did old fireball Haines do?
    See post #216...

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Great pics! Thanks for posting!
    D.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

does kim or ted mckay ever visit this fourm? they have a cracker box that runs well and i need some help with one..... just need a few questions answered thanks
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    does kim or ted mckay ever visit this fourm? they have a cracker box that runs well and i need some help with one..... just need a few questions answered thanks
    This Ted. Let me know what you need.

pm sent ted thanks
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678