Thread: Sealing the stuffing tube - this works great

Smile Sealing the stuffing tube - this works great

This works so good I have to pass it along [ plus IIRC I stole the idea for the inside seal from Mr. Fluid]

CA an O-ring around the inside pass-through & use five-minute JB Quick Weld - slop it in & it flows nicely into a good-looking seal. For the bottom, carefully masking-tape the outline, slop on the JB & peel off the tape before it sets.

Example is Allen's FE 30 being built by rcboatbuild@hotmail.com {shameless self-promotion - need a boat built? get in touch }

DSC02439.JPGDSC02438.JPGDSC02442.JPGDSC02441.JPG
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    This works so good I have to pass it along [ plus IIRC I stole the idea for the inside seal from Mr. Fluid]

CA an O-ring around the inside pass-through & use five-minute JB Quick Weld - slop it in & it flows nicely into a good-looking seal. For the bottom, carefully masking-tape the outline, slop on the JB & peel off the tape before it sets.

Example is Allen's FE 30 being built by rcboatbuild@hotmail.com {shameless self-promotion - need a boat built? get in touch }

DSC02439.JPGDSC02438.JPGDSC02442.JPGDSC02441.JPG
    I think Fine Design did it first. I like it a lot and do it with epoxy, nice look, good touch. One thing I do different is I hold the O ring till the glue is dry and do not use CA. This way I can remove the O ring and reuse it over and over.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

I like to do the masking tape trick on both sides.

none of you guys are using 3M 5200 adhesive sealant??? it dries kinda slow but........i've worked on real boats for a number of years and I've found nothing better!

Quote Originally Posted by svtfrank View Post
    none of you guys are using 3M 5200 adhesive sealant??? it dries kinda slow but........i've worked on real boats for a number of years and I've found nothing better!
    As a 15 year liveaboard on a vintage wood boat, I'll agree that 5200 is the best stuff for serious sealing. Full cure in one week, but does the tough jobs. The 5-min. JB is quick and easy and so far has been doing the trick on lots of my builds.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    I think Fine Design did it first. I like it a lot and do it with epoxy, nice look, good touch. One thing I do different is I hold the O ring till the glue is dry and do not use CA. This way I can remove the O ring and reuse it over and over.
    Gotta agree with you Randy. Signature for Chris's builds. Not that its bad in any manner or form. Just display's his logic. And alot of creative types expounded upon the process involved. And why not? Improve upon a decent concept. Very well thought out.

John
    Last edited by m4a1usr; 09-09-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: terrible speller
    Change is the one Constant

wonder if a old trojan would work lol
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...