Thread: Back into RC Boats

Default Back into RC Boats

Hey Guys

I joined the forum a few weeks ago and have been gathering info on my new boat and how to fix the handling issues with it. I'm back into the RC world after about a 10yr absence. My last boat was a deep vee nitro...yes I know boo...lol. As a first FE boat the Black Jack is not so bad, after swimming out to it about 20 plus times, you relearn how to drive again and setup struts and such. Now that I have the handling under control, I need to go faster my goal is 50-60 mph. I've seen some of you have put 2 motors in it to achieve that, but right now that is out of the question, no time. So my questions is what motor/battery/esc combo would I need. Scorpion power systems has some interesting motors but this KV/volt stuff is like Greek to me. My currant set-up is the stock motor/ecs, 2 NMIH 5000mah packs and a X642 prop B/S, oh and the hull is the SS version as my brother in law almost sank the first hull trying to sink a canoe .

Cheers

James.

1st. go to lipos.
    2nd. put a off set rudder on it and also a strut if you haven't already.
    3rd. put a better ESC in it that can handle 6s, the motor can handle it.
    I also removed the turn fins.
    I have hit 57 mph with this set up and with a little playing with props and adjustments you should get more, the x642 is good but you can go alittle bigger, and watch your temps.

Thanks G-uint, I had to buy all the SS conversion hardware since the holes didn't line up, with the old set-up. The turn fins where taken off pretty quick after the 5th flip or so. So the motor will handle up to 6s, you must understand this is all very new to me. I've seen ecs that are like 240 amp, that seems a little big for what I want so would a 120 do? Any recommendations on what type to get.

Yes a 120 amp would work just check the specs, you might need a battery pack or a ubec to power the servo when running 6s.
    just hold on,
    have fun and good luck