Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impulse 31 OR Traxxas Spartan

Default Impulse 31 OR Traxxas Spartan

Which boat should i go with? I no the spartan has been a nightmare for a lot of people. But it sounds like the new Castle set up has been treating people pretty well. The 31 looks like an awesome boat to. Im worried that its not going to be quick enough for me on 2-2s lipo. And i don't plan on doing many mods other than a prop. help me out guys! impulse owners and spartan owners your input would be very much appreciated along with everyone else. Thanks.

You want a plastic or fiberglass hull...........?.............your choice
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    You want a plastic or fiberglass hull...........?.............your choice
    Ha, its a pretty simple choice. Isnt it.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

I have been a member of the Spartan nightmare club, so when I received my updated Castle goodies I stripped the Spartan and put the new motor and ESC and all the hardware into an old Seaducer and now I am having fun instead of nightmares.....

Quote Originally Posted by slowride View Post
    I have been a member of the Spartan nightmare club, so when I received my updated Castle goodies I stripped the Spartan and put the new motor and ESC and all the hardware into an old Seaducer and now I am having fun instead of nightmares.....:beerchug:
    great choice!!

I had a spartan and sold that sucker, and I've had one of these Impules boats in my hand
    I've said it before and will say it again, the Impulse is the best RTR boat out right now IMO
    just the feel of it in my hands says quality that blows away the cheap feel of the spartan....
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Race inspired model boat, or a junky toy?

Thanks for all your input guys! I guess ill head down to my LHS and pick up the impulse 31.

Quote Originally Posted by GOGEICOGO View Post
    Thanks for all your input guys! I guess ill head down to my LHS and pick up the impulse 31.
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

well here is a "junky toy" busting 67mph
    IF IT DON'T GO FAST WHY HAVE IT

Quote Originally Posted by rinski73 View Post
    well here is a "junky toy" busting 67mph

RTR to RTR, the Impulse or Pursuit are heads and tails over the Spartan.
    But you did a nice job with that Spartan. To bad Traxxas didnt build one that went that nice. ;-)
    Steven Vaccaro

And i will agree fiberglass fe boats are built better than a composite but they are far from a "junky toy" toys dont run that fast i have been trying to find me a good deal on a impulse 31 for my next project

I tried using a GPS for an enduro once LOL! Stock odometer and a pair of stop watches were far more accurate!
    That is really moving out though! I'd like to see times over a measured distance.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

DEFINITELY the Impulse is the better choice in my opinion.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

And i will agree fiberglass fe boats are built better than a composite but they are far from a "junky toy" toys dont run that fast i have been trying to find me a good deal on a impulse 31 for my next project
    The hill they are climbing is that AS ORIGINALLY RELEASED, they are "junky toys". There isnt much to support otherwise.

What the second release brings is to be determined.
    Steven Vaccaro

that plus you can make radio shack boats fast if you mod them enough...comes down to skill and engineering look at riggers there is nothing to them but theyre fast somehow

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    RTR to RTR, the Impulse or Pursuit are heads and tails over the Spartan.
    Bingo!
    as anyone can overpower a toy
    and once again this thread is about RTR..
    slip in a big motor into the Impulse even on 4s not 6s and you have a kick ass race boat, and not a toy

Dang guys i just wanted to show a video didnt mean to upset everyone i know fiberglass boats are better that is not the question thought the video might be liked by a few of the forum members guess i was wrong

I liked the video.

Dang guys i just wanted to show a video didnt mean to upset everyone i know fiberglass boats are better that is not the question thought the video might be liked by a few of the forum members guess i was wrong
    Video was good.. and no one is upset except maybe traxxas for all the replacements they had to hand out
    and it's more than plastic vs fiberglass
    even the hardware between the two is a huge difference in quality and performance..

And i agree with you brushless that is why all my hardware has been changed with parts proudly from ose all xcept for drive strutand im working on that myself building a sealed unit with bearings

BDW, what are the specs on it now? ( bats, motor, esc, prop... )
    Thanks
    Robert

And i agree with you brushless that is why all my hardware has been changed with parts proudly from ose all xcept for drive strutand im working on that myself building a sealed unit with bearings
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

I can't find the video on my iPhone to watch. But I'll check it out when I'm home from work.

I'm guessing Rinski bought into the traxxas marketing hype as I did. Then with the disgust of buying a false hope he decided to make it better, rather than let it beat him.

67+mph sounds impressive. But we all know what will happen to plastic in a water crash at that speed.

Now that you beat the Spartan what will you start on next Rinski?
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

So you agree then, it's a junky toy. You replaced all the parts and you still have a plastic hull that will implode in any kind of wipeout at that speed.

Also, you may wanna tape the hatch :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    So you agree then, it's a junky toy. You replaced all the parts and you still have a plastic hull that will implode in any kind of wipeout at that speed.

Also, you may wanna tape the hatch :)
    I wouldn't be sure fiberglass hulls will last to many crashes at 67mph.

But the spartans have hulls have failed at much lower speeds.

I'm not upset with the video, my disdain is towards traxxas for putting this boat out in the first place with wild claims.
    Steven Vaccaro

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    I wouldn't be sure fiberglass hulls will last to many crashes at 67mph.

But the spartans have hulls have failed at much lower speeds.

I'm not upset with the video, my disdain is towards traxxas for putting this boat out in the first place with wild claims.
    I think the biggest bur under my skin was how traxxas would name blame as in customer blaming for their boats failing
    like the motor and esc going up in smoke and blaming the user for not greasing the shaft
    and now the fact is they have put in a whole new motor and esc!
    hello traxxas you messed up and along the way blamed others for your screw up

that is what traxxas does best they have many failures but marketing keeps newbs in and the real racers out,fyi when has a traxxas vehicle ever won anything major other than a slash lol...and a modded one at that..you get what u pay for period.spartan is a cash cow for newbies and they will fix it along the way mmmmmaybe.I am a victim of the 4x4 slash and threw it in the garbage...money pit fixing their issues on the truck...prolly same on any boat they come out with its all about bottom line with them,profit lol

bdw, what are the specs on it now? ( bats, motor, esc, prop... )
    thanks
    robert
    seaking 180 castle 1515 prather 220 TURNIGY 5000MAH 35C

so you agree then, it's a junky toy. You replaced all the parts and you still have a plastic hull that will implode in any kind of wipeout at that speed.
    and no i don't think it is junk but its not the best either its a bad boat that i made good do u think this is my first rodeo no its not i have made these mods because i wanted to do something with a boat that people said couldn't be done but have no fear thats not the only boat i have and all will see with time i have been doin this for 28 yrs i know the difference between good and not the best but by far its not junk

rinski73...........nothing "wrong" at all with you modding a Traxxas hull...........i have two brushless Villains and think they are a blast, plus as you know, its a personal effort/challenge that makes it rewarding when you've really upped performance on a boat. BTW try to get the nose down just a hair.............

I'm not a Spartan fan and dont/wont own one, but its cool to see one go like that............its all about what makes you happy.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    rinski73...........nothing "wrong" at all with you modding a Traxxas hull...........i have two brushless Villains and think they are a blast, plus as you know, its a personal effort/challenge that makes it rewarding when you've really upped performance on a boat. BTW try to get the nose down just a hair.............

I'm not a Spartan fan and dont/wont own one, but its cool to see one go like that............its all about what makes you happy.
    Well said. I completely agree. I went through the same thing with my old EKOS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast