Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: THe death of music

Default THe death of music

Another Douggie old fart rant. I think I was blessed to listen to popular rock music in it's glory years....the 1960's. I also love the blues, classical and folk music, but I can not wrap my head arround, rap, Lady Gagga and others of the modern popular music scene with crappy audio and over the top concert productions....I must be getting old and just love my music tastes and boats?

Douggie

I dont like rap and hip hop either. To me, its kid stuff. Ill take rock n roll over anything.

Cool

You both sound just like my parents did in the '60s - according to them I listened to "kid's music" back then. Who cares what music is like today - or in the 1940s for that matter - there is plenty of music available for everyone, your grandkids or your grand parents. How awful the world would be if all we had to listen to was just the BeeGees...or just Buddy Holly...or just the Stones...or just Metallica. .

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Jay, you are correct but I care about music and the way it has morphed into people who have never listened to the origins of music.....Africans beating a log....people singing and composing music in their homes, some do and many do not, and yes their are some very talented musicians today, who write and compose. As I stated, I listen to all genres of music and the era is not important but the quality. ...Classical had an era of brilliance... popular modern music???

Douggie

How ironic...I was just reading this today... http://www.theroot.com/views/death-rb-group
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

I hear from my nephews and nieces (10-26) questions like this. Why don't people sing like they used to? I say because nobody actually sits down long enough to actually listen to what's being played. Douggie, you and I are from a time where we were fascinated with good recordings and good equipment. We sat down and listened to the music. The nuances of a performance. And if lucky, the high fidelity of a good system. We listened with friends and family. Now days, we are constantly on the go. We multi-task our lives. Music has become a source of back ground entertainment. And as such, the quality of the performance and of the music has suffered. In addition, we are bombarded with deceptive marketing. Equipment being sold as hi-fi just because of thunderous bass and treble that will singe your eyebrows. Artists now rely heavily on software rather than band mates. So you are not alone in your observations. These topics are often brought up on audio forums as well.
    Government Moto:

I have to agree with fluid. Also, in regards to popular mainstream music, it's just simple catchy stuff. There are thousands of talented musicians out there for you. You're just old and set in your ways.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    I have to agree with fluid. Also, in regards to popular mainstream music, it's just simple catchy stuff. There are thousands of talented musicians out there for you. You're just old and set in your ways.

That would explain us. But what about the younger generations making the same observations? I too listen to many genres of music. Much of it from newer artists. But IMO the quality has suffered. Maybe we're talking about two different issues. I like good vocals and instrumentation. Yes there are some good vocalists and musicians still out there. But there are some terrible ones who gain more popularity thru their antics rather than their talent (if any). But as I stated earlier, music has become more of a source of background entertainment. As such, the recordings,mixing and engineering have suffered. It just doesn't seem to envelope the listener as much as it used to. I guess when you put a lot of money into your listening equipment, you'd expect a lot of return in the quality of the media. From some older posts of Douggie's, I know he has quite an investment in his equipment.
    Government Moto:

I am enveloped in music driving to worksites.. the car randomly selects a station when ign turned on.
    I like every station except livebackchat or thetimeis.

Given a choice.. 70s&early 80s.. my teenage years .... easier fun times.. the music reminds me of good times, great girlfriends , and sleeping beyond 0800 ...
    Wayne Schutte PhdCSE BaSE BaEE. Australian, & damn proud of it YOUTUBE
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

Old, maybe....set in my ways...no...I still attend live concerts, but most people today collect poor quality audio from the web for free. A lot of mainsteram artists today lip sync at live concerts or rely on the guy who is manipulating the sound with digital processing to the concert audio system to alter their vocal presentation

Douggie

Quote Originally Posted by LarrysDrifter View Post
    I dont like rap and hip hop either. To me, its kid stuff. Ill take rock n roll over anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    Another Douggie old fart rant. I think I was blessed to listen to popular rock music in it's glory years....the 1960's. I also love the blues, classical and folk music, but I can not wrap my head arround, rap, Lady Gagga and others of the modern popular music scene with crappy audio and over the top concert productions....I must be getting old and just love my music tastes and boats?

Douggie

WOW, JUST WOW

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    You both sound just like my parents did in the '60s - according to them I listened to "kid's music" back then. Who cares what music is like today - or in the 1940s for that matter - there is plenty of music available for everyone, your grandkids or your grand parents. How awful the world would be if all we had to listen to was just the BeeGees...or just Buddy Holly...or just the Stones...or just Metallica. .

^^^^^

This guy gets it.

I am but 31 years old but I listen to everything. The world would be so bland with just 5 bands. Most of who now are drugged out beyond recognition, or have shot their voice to crap and sound horrible. yes some of the new talent is "Strange" to say the least, but good things come from strange places.....

Old, maybe....set in my ways...no...I still attend live concerts, but most people today collect poor quality audio from the web for free. A lot of mainsteram artists today lip sync at live concerts or rely on the guy who is manipulating the sound with digital processing to the concert audio system to alter their vocal presentation

Douggie
    Exactly! It's not the kind of music, era or genre. It's the quality.
    Government Moto:

Dustin, I am 63 years old and I do listen to all types of music....yes, I have favourite bands, musicians, eras, types of recording methods, stage live presentation, small venues are in my opinion the best to watch live artists at work and my audio collection covers works from the last 10 years as well and there are some real talents out there, but I just do not get rap and that is my own decision as to musical taste and I am sure you have yours.

Douggie

One of my favorites ...

IMPBA 20481S D-12

Music is a personal choice. Whatever type or era you listen to. However, I think the recording quality as of late has suffered. So you don't like rap music? It doesn't make you old or out dated. It's your choice. I particularly don't care for Britney Spears or Lady GaGa. It might be their voices or their recording engineers. There's nothing wrong with digitizing voices. I like Zapp. But some rap and pop I find unappealing. I think mostly due to the poor recording quality.
    Government Moto:

99 percent of today's mainstream music is pure garbage. None of it will be around 10 years from now. There are other options... but you're not going to find it on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    99 percent of today's mainstream music is pure garbage. None of it will be around 10 years from now. There are other options... but you're not going to find it on the radio.
    Wowsers.. you sound like my old man..garbage, crap, hurts the ears.. but AC/DC,ELO,CCR. Floyd, motley .... all the stuff I smuggled into the house from school now has pride of place in my mature age daughter's collection

stage live presentation, small venues are in my opinion the best to watch live artists at work ...... but I just do not get rap and that is my own decision as to musical taste and I am sure you have yours.
    At 45 years of age I prefer live small venue 'pub' music.. where most all the legendary bands began ..playing for beer money !
    I enjoy some the latest rap/club stuff.. but a few just aggravate my ear drums ... ditto some the early stuff ( ABBA.. geez ! )
    Wayne Schutte PhdCSE BaSE BaEE. Australian, & damn proud of it YOUTUBE
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

A quick shot from me.
    Last week I bought 2 CDs, Brittney Spears and Lady Gaga. The album art is worth it alone !!
    I also buy a lot of my music online and that includes REO speedwagon, Van Halen , White snake, Yanni, Dragon force, and a bit of Eminem !

I listen to a lot of different types of music but I must admit my fall back is always Meatloaf.

A lot of todays music is not to my taste but it is still good as someone likes it. Listen to what you like................I do !!
    See it....find the photos.....sketch it it....build it........with wood

Here is one of my favorites. Blue Oyster Cult, The Vigil
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E33b038Wx8g

Here's another
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQM_wetsPqs

And this one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-hyOnScZhw

Last edited by detox; 08-24-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Here is a cool band from Portland....music still lives

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4YF6...eature=related

Douggie

A blast from the past, a genius on a guitar...did not live too long

Douggie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoAXW...eature=related

And another, the viewing of the brilliant film of Woodstock 1969 should be mandatory for all aspiring musicians, and again no silly dancer theatrics and mosh pit cr@p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLDal...eature=relatedpp

Plus the classic...yes I am an old fart and love it. I was fortunate to live in an area of great pop music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9TGj...eature=related
    Last edited by Flying Scotsman; 09-17-2011 at 01:59 AM.

Government Moto:

Dom, great lyrics but some may not get it and the guitar work is great as usual and unsual. He really was a great talent that was lost to many problelms as all great performers are suubject to. Yes I did you use the word great to prove an issue with possible mental problems, but thank God we are not all perfect as these artists give us another view of life wth our mundane life views such as money and marititial/love issues etc. Which we do not address.

Douggie

Awesome tunes guys , Douggie I really love the drum role by the 20 year old young guy unbelievable talent and just music in general . The music that makes my stomach turn is country never have I heard $hit that can make me kick my own TV screen out . Sorry its music to someones ears but its pure crap to me .
    Necessity is the mother of invention.............

Youtube Video's http://www.youtube.com/user/Titanis2000

Another great tune, and a lassie whose cover was better than the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVYGw...eature=related

Douggie

I don't know...I like the original. But I guess it's a matter of taste...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb3iPP-tHdA
    Government Moto:

Government Moto:

The Allman Brothers past and present is verygood music.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP5G0...eature=related

Flame suit on, I rather listen to Bluegrass Christian

Another great tune, and a lassie whose cover was better than the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVYGw...eature=related

Douggie
    I like the original version better as well. Speaking of covers here is one of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Rth...eature=related
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast