Thread: Coupler _ not very good

Default Coupler _ not very good

I saw a big price reduction at Tower so I ordered a Rio EP ---thinking if nothing worked I have myself a radio, besides i have always liked the look and the dual rudder set up. I wanted a rescue boat and from what I saw this boat has good low speed handling. Anyway, got the boat and maiden voyage was in my pool. Everything was in my expectation--that's when trouble began. I started to take the flex cable out to lube it ( reverse order, usually that's what I do first). Well, can't put it back because the end of the cable is not soldered and some strands are loose, won't go back to the coupler. I ordered a 1/8 to .130" collet--- thank you Steven!! Hope that works. Anyone has similar experience ?

Fast shipping from OSE, Thanks, Steven. Coupler installed--problem solved. had a blast in my pool!

Default coupler p/n?

Do you have the part number for the coupler that you bought?

I just bought my son a new Rio, and we were checking/greasing the flexshaft prior to running it. I noticed that the coupler/flexshaft "wobbled" like it was way off center when I turned it. Rght out of the box, the coupler had two of the set screw holes stripped They had the coupler to motor and coupler to flexshaft pinned tight against one side (ie, one set screw below flush, and the opposite one just in a thread or two) .... looks like it was only the threadlocker that they used when they put it together, holding them in place. The two barely threaded in just "fell out" as soon as I put the allen wrench in it ... it was stripped. For initial out of the box quality, I'm not impressed ... also, there is the solvent style glue "lines" in several locations on the deck of the boat where it looks like it ran out of the tube and they didn't wipe it off before it started to melt into the plastic. I know its only a $159 plastic boat, but I was expecting better than this.

I would like to buy a collet style coupler, similar to what is on my rc cat,.

Thanks,
    Bob
    Last edited by bob_t; 09-06-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Hi, sorry to hear about that, I think it is this: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...=oct-ocfhe1813, if it is brushed stock motor, then the shaft dia. is 1/8'' or 0.125". Cable is .130.
    I hope I remember correctly, with the memory I seem to be having lately, I wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong somewhere, but I think this is ok.

It is the brushed stock motor (it is a brand new boat, just got it yesterday). I did some editing to my post to be a little more specific about what we found. My friend works in a machine shop and is going to make me a brass coupler using 3/8" stock instead of 5/16" stock so the set screws have a little more to grab on to, until I can get a collet style ordered ...

Again, thanks!!
    Bob

Saw this one, too in OSE "hardware". http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=etti-a008 Does your's only have 1 set screw or two? Wonder if this one may be too long?
    Thanks,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob_t View Post
    Saw this one, too in OSE "hardware". http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=etti-a008 Does your's only have 1 set screw or two? Wonder if this one may be too long?
    Thanks,
    Bob
    I don't know, but the one I ordered was more than good enough for the stock set up, it fits. Only one set screw, but those are machined properly, you won't strip them. In my opinion, a collet is always preferable over a coupler, the "pinching" a collet gives to the cable is spread out evenly, the opposite set screws on a coulper is really just pinching on two points. Then again, this is not a fast boat, if your friend can make a better one, you might have the only Rio that has a custome made coupler!
    There is some run off glue on mine as well, and my flex cable was terrible, also the stub shaft wasn't even ROUND!! It had file marks as if some final inspection revealed the problem and someone hand filed it to make it go into the brass tube. I have since replaced the cable/shaft as well.

I noticed that the prop "wobbles", too, but maybe I'm being too critical. I didn't see an OSE flexshaft for this boat, but maybe I missed it, is there one? I have been reading a lot on these forums, and just recently joined OSE. My son and I have 3 rc electric boats, so far ... . I used to really be into Fountain performance boats (real ones ... owned a total of 7 of them over the last 13 years) and occasionally got to ride/drive a couple of 120+mph cats. My kids now like to run RC's on the local ponds and just tube/ski on our local lakes, so no more Fountains' for awhile ... just a runabout with a V6 to pull the kids and some RC stuff.

Thanks for the help,
    Bob

There is some "free" play at the business end of the shaft, mainly the stuffing tube is doing DOUBLE duty, meaning it in addition being the tube, it is also the strut/stinger. Being as such, it does not have a proper bushing, the whole shaft is spining inside the brass tube, so a bit of "wobble" is ok, mine was just the other way, it will not spin free and it is gritty if you turn it by hand. I further sanded down the shaft. To find that part was a bit tricky, I only replaced it after I converted mine to brushless, and with a 5mm motor shaft, I ordered this one: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=ose-1085 The reason is that the shaft diameter is 4mm, AQ's stock shaft is 4.12mm, i believe, so, with this "upgraded" part, I have even more "wobble", but the over all funtion is better and I can put up with that. I needed another adapter to make the prop fit. It is a hassle, but it is the only .130 cable with 4mm shaft. If you can find one w/o the "step down" feature, let me know.
    The hull can handle quite a bit more speed, here is mine running with Proboat's 1500kv motor:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCSzh...ature=youtu.be
    That is great that you own real boats, man, those 120mph+ cats must be something to ride in/drive!

Thanks! I appreciate all of the information. I called Aquacraft and they are sending me a new (stock) coupler at no charge. My friend turned a brass one for me with 3/8 stock instead of 5/16 to get another thread's worth of engagement. He tapped 6-32 set screws into it and it is sweet! I may still buy the Octura collet, but for now, I'm ok (and probably will be for a very long time, if you could see this new coupler - it is probably what should have been in the boat right from the box)! I also told the Aquacraft support person about the glue all over this boat. He said to try lighter fluid and then try to scape it off - not real happy about that answer, but maybe I just need to lower my expectations.

We ran the boat today with a 7.2 3000mah Nimh battery and it ran ~ 15 minutes ... my son was very happy. Later in the day we ran it again with an 8.4 3000mah Nimh battery and he was grinning ear-to-ear. Noticable difference. The motor did get a little warmer with the 8.4, though, but, since we only run 1 pack and then walk back to the house, it has plenty of time to cool (hours) between runs.

I read on here about the Rio's ESC having some issues, and then Grim said wrote in that they had a bad batch of them, so hopefully that was the end of that problem. I have also read their "tech note" about letting the electronics cool if you run an 8.4 above 2000 mah. Our 8.4 is 3000 mah and it gets plenty of time before and after runs for cooling. If it pops within the next 3 weeks, I'll put the whole package (boat/radio, etc) back in the shipping box and return it for a refund! I really don't want to have to spend another $40-$50 on a "better" ESC. When my son and I were looking at what to get him, we were on the fence between the AQ Rio and the new BP Shockwave (brushed), which comes with a 45A ESC, teflon lined stuffing box, and runs the same stock props as my PB MG29. In the online videos, the Rio looked more stable, so that was a "plus" in my mind. Also, since the PB is "brand new" with really no reviews and ~$50 more, (but comes with a lower end charger (which I don't need) and EC3 connectors - all my nimh batteries are Tamiya), I chose to get the Rio, and buy a good 8.4V nimh hump pack. We both like the Rio ... it handles very well, runs flat, and is really fun with the 8.4, but, I guess now I'm starting to have second thoughts.
    Last edited by bob_t; 09-10-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_t View Post
    I read on here about the Rio's ESC having some issues, and then Grim said wrote in that they had a bad batch of them, so hopefully that was the end of that problem. I have also read their "tech note" about letting the electronics cool if you run an 8.4 above 2000 mah. Our 8.4 is 3000 mah and it gets plenty of time before and after runs for cooling. If it pops within the next 3 weeks, I'll put the whole package (boat/radio, etc) back in the shipping box and return it for a refund! I really don't want to have to spend another $40-$50 on a "better" ESC. When my son and I were looking at what to get him, we were on the fence between the AQ Rio and the new BP Shockwave (brushed), which comes with a 45A ESC, teflon lined stuffing box, and runs the same stock props as my PB MG29. In the online videos, the Rio looked more stable, so that was a "plus" in my mind. Also, since the PB is "brand new" with really no reviews and ~$50 more, (but comes with a lower end charger (which I don't need) and EC3 connectors - all my nimh batteries are Tamiya), I chose to get the Rio, and buy a good 8.4V nimh hump pack. We both like the Rio ... it handles very well, runs flat, and is really fun with the 8.4, but, I guess now I'm starting to have second thoughts.
    I think you should enjoy as much as you can while the ESC is still working, AQ is a no -nonsence brand, nothing fancy. What ever works will work. You can choose to do whatever you deem that is right for you after it fails. I am glad Bruce brought this to your attention.
    The one issue is heat, since the stock ESC doesn't have cooling. But as you said, you are giving it plenty of time to cool off. Just enjoy. There is something about this boat when she is on the water that evokes nice imagination and I can totally see why you and your son picked this one.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by tlandauer; 09-10-2012 at 11:09 PM. Reason: typo

Here's a couple of photos of my son running the Rio with the 8.4. It is a lot of fun! It has the Fountain style bow and general proportions, so that adds an extra amount of "smile", for me, too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bob_t; 09-10-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Great photo!
    I am very fond of the Fountain style myself, wish I have a real one.
    Enjoy!

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it... and if the ESC pops, I'll look you up (Thanks!!). I'm still on a steep learning curve with all of this FE RC boat stuff. Wasn't trying to say PB is better, or AQ is worse, but was now just re-looking at the "drivetrain components" of these two comparably priced ABS offerings, and with my limited knowledge, seems like their "out of the box" components might be a little more "durable", but time will tell ... My only PB experience is the MG29, so its probably not really a fair comparison. I like the looks and the running attitude of the Rio quite well and it is the right speed range for my son (the MG29 is a little too fast for him on our "not quite big enough" pond). I just hope the Rio holds up ok in its stock form because I don't want to put a lot more money into this boat, as this is his first "real" rc boat. I would rather save that $$ for the next boat I get for him, which will have a fiberglass hull.

Thanks again!
    Bob
    Last edited by bob_t; 09-11-2012 at 11:49 PM.