Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 26 Twin Cat

Default 26 Twin Cat

This is my last build of the year. I have 90 days untill my son is born & everying thing I'm running this year has to be done before that. All my parts are in transit. This is going to be a 2s-2p boat. Powered by a set of X-power 380 6turn XL's @ 3860kv (28x68mm). I opted for small 70amp aircraft esc's. A set of proboat outdrives will be placed behind the tunnel. I found some other neet stuff that will be pictured later. The hull was provided by Diegoboy and the hatch & hull clean up was done by Mich Maniac. I will have pictures later on today. I will start the drive line when my OSE order arives this comming week. I am going to attempt to have fun with this one. Wish me luck.

good luck! sounds like a fun one

-Wayne

WHAT??? ALL that time and work and he isnt even gonna use it! Aint that a B. Nothing against you Tom, Im glad its getting built but just would have liked to seen hiis adjustable strut system on the M5 build. Maybe he found something to suit the boat a little better.

sorry, just a shocker, GOODLUCK MAN! CANT WAIT TO SEE IT FLY!
    Last edited by Mich. Maniac; 03-02-2008 at 04:32 PM.

What hull Is It Tom? Any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Mich. Maniac View Post
    WHAT??? ALL that time and work and he isnt even gonna use it! Aint that a B. Nothing against you Tom, Im glad its getting built but just would have liked to seen hiis adjustable strut system on the M5 build. Maybe he found something to suit the boat a little better.

sorry, just a shocker, GOODLUCK MAN! CANT WAIT TO SEE IT FLY!
    I'm sorry Mike. All the recent events in my life have forced me to shuffle projects around. I still have unfinished projects sitting on the shelf that have been waiting for a year or more.

Police Boat

Hydrofoil

Vegas Convert

BL Kyosho Surfer
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Bangka Boat

The H&M M1 supercat S

...and of course the Mini-V for Ira

Tom also traded me parts to get the M1 closer to completion too.
    I told Tom that I felt like a heel for trading the M5

Sorry again Mike
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Oh, dont take it wrong, like im said im glad it will be built and built well at that. Im glad I have been able to meet you guys even just over forum. It has brought me deeper into this hobby at a very fast rate. Tom will make it kewl and CRAZY COOL it sounds like!

Thanks for your faith in my ability Sir . I am now on day 5 of walking by my desk, pausing, looking @ the Rio, shaking my head and heading back out to this infernal machine. 82 days and counting and I have JACK done.

Default First pictures.

I did a quicky windshield for the pictures. The final product will have the twin canopy hatch. Nothing wrong with this one Strictly preference. She's a clean slate just waiting for a bunch of holes.

What hull Is that? I like It...

It's the Blackjack BL hull with a custom hatch. The stuffing tube hole and trasnsom holes have been filled in. She is SWEET!

Ah... I knew I noticed the hull but, the hatch threw me off.

the hatch is all wrong for that hull Tom is smart to change it, no offense to who ever spent the time to make it.
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Avanti27offshore View Post
    the hatch is all wrong for that hull Tom is smart to change it, no offense to who ever spent the time to make it.
    guess i wont be purchasing another SV! Perhaps you could explain since you do run some fast real speed boats

Quote Originally Posted by Mich. Maniac View Post
    guess i wont be purchasing another SV! Perhaps you could explain since you do run some fast real speed boats
    he hull is based on a skater and that hatch is based on an mti. it's just not a match. The craftsmanship looks nice it just doesn't mate with that hull well
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

Thumbs up

I received the last delivery for this project today. I am heading out to the shop to work in this and the Rio in a bit. I hope to get the esc's cooled and water proofed tonight. I am impressed with the little 380xl's. The are about 20 grams lighter than feigao s motors. I am hoping the longer rotor will provide a little more torque along with the higher rpm. Note the clear water jackets on them inthe boxes. I am ordering heatsynk & fan setups for the exposed end of the motors. Not unlike what I ran in the jolly with the Feigao motors. I'm hoping to get started on the twin motor mount tonight . This is all while I fab the reverse gill bracket for the Rio. Wish me luck.

Thats some long little motors. You plan on running 7.4V to each right?

Nice setup. How far apart did you plan to mount the drivetrains? I notice you said something about a double motor mount so I assume fairly close together??

The drives will be behind the tunnel as close together as I can get them with 40mm props on for spacing. Yes each system will run on 2s-1p 25c polly rc packs. I will be cutting those props down a bit for the first couple test runs. I want to run K40s but I dont know if I will be able to.

Shouldnt double the torque allow you to be able to run more thrust, ie the larger props?

I am not sure of anything with this one. No one has used any of these parts or install twins in this hull yet. I have quite a few bucks invested so I am taking no chances.

This is gonna be a rocket! The transom should be plenty strong with the torque. I would be more worried about the hull bottom where the motors mount, it seemed pretty thin and weak. I imagine with the twins it might even corner well.

Yeah it may turn well we will see. I am putting down some suport under the mounts. I did get the mount drilled tonight. Tomorrow I will get it installed.

Default Progress

I had a good morning/afternoon. I got the motor mount done & started the outdrive's mount. The tunnel got reinforced with some medium cloth & 1/8th ply. I attempted to bend the O/D mount so that the O/D's would line up on center with the rotor out put shafts. As you can see in the pictures I'm close. I started slotting the lower mount holes for drive ajustment. The wifey woke up and It's break time untill she leaves for work. By the end of the night I'd like to have the motor mount, drives mounted , stuffing tubes bent, drilled & every thing set to cure. I'll have my hand full.

Attached Images Attached Images

The Traxxas motor plate was a great idea! Nice, neat, and uniform.

shoulda coulda woulda run the motors in the sponons
    EYEKANDYGRAPHICS

www.rclipos.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eyekandyboats View Post
    shoulda coulda woulda run the motors in the sponons
    yup thats what I was thinking last night when I saw this

Spread your props out to far on a small hull and she will turn like a pile of s_ _ t. The drives should be as close to the inside corners of the tunnel on any cat on order to handel correclty. How would one do this if the motors are down in the tunnels?

I use to build race cats; never in my life saw a full size cat with props in the tunnel.

I didn't get as far as I would have liked tonight but I'm not complaing. I have allot of domestic work to do around here tomorrow. I should be able to get the stuffing tubes in and assemble the cables.

We are not discussing a full size cat . Not much translates from full scale cats to electric models. This hull handles like crap to begin with. I bet this corrects some of the handeling issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast