Thread: Captiol RC Model Boat Club

Default Captiol RC Model Boat Club

Since we have a growing FE membership, I figure the time is right to start a club thread on OSE. We can use this thread to exchange info with each other as well as to attract potential new members.

The Capitol RC Model Boat Club is a IMPBA District 12 sanctioned club. We serve the Washington DC metro area with members from Maryland, DC, Virginia and West Virginia. Our club pond is located in Centreville, VA just south of Dulles Airport. Our members run gas, nitro and electric powered boats. We try to get out to the pond every few weeks to run boats when the weather cooperates. We also host a District race every year in late June. We do have a club web site www.capitolrc.com Our club President is Tracy Dolphin and our VP is Carl Cisneros. Carl does frequent this board. I'll try and keep us updated on club happenings on this board but the only official method of communications is the club email list. So if you want to keep up on whats going on, contact Carl to get on the club list. His contact info is on the club web site.

Anyone is welcome to post on this site.

We had a nice test n tune today dispite the heat. George and Joe showed up. I also met Mike Reynolds for the first time and he brought a friend who lives in DC. Joe is no longer a rookie FE'er. Unfortunatly he blew a controller in one of his boats . Welcome to the club Joe!! We got Mikes UL1 screaming and he was a happy camper! George has his Scale Nitro boat running great so he's ready for the next race.

I goofed up today and left my deep cycle battery at home. I bought a cheapo one and gave it to Joe for club use. So now we have three club member (Tracy, Joe and myself) who have deep cycle batteries to run the trolling motor on the retrieval boat.

A public safety announcement.... When we picked up the retrival boat, we discovered two spiders that looked to be black widows making themselves at home in the boat. Be carfull when picking up the boat guys! Also, the blood sucking flys were real bad today. I think Carl wants to do a test n tune next Saturday. Bring the bug spray!!!

Four weekends till District race #5 which we are hosting. We need everyones help!

We're shooting for a Test'n Tune this Saturday August 6th at 10AM. Only three more weekends to get boats ready before the final district race!!!

I'll be there.

6 of the club members went out this Today (Saturday) and had a good time.
    Ran my twin mono and got some good radar gun readings on it.

The wind was coming down the front straight and created quite a bit of chop.
    I did not run the cat or the tunnel. Was more concerned about getting the twin ready for the months end race.

It was definetly a big boat day. Carl, we left around 3pm just as the rains came. We got Brian's brother's Spartan running well with the new Castle gear in it. It ran pretty darn nice considering the conditions. The Spartan would be a great hull if they made it out of fiberglass. Joe fired up his Insane Mobster and I promptly dinged his prop pulling it off the stand to launch it. John took the tunnel for a spin and you know how that went with the weather. I let John take out the retrieval boat for the first time (doning a PFD) and he did great. As you know I've always been happy with how the Sniper ran and I never messed with fine tuning it. We played with the pipe, I changed oil and I tweaked the high mixture and the end result was we squeezed an extra 5 mph out of her. I couldnt believe how much difference 1/8th turn on the needle made. Dispite the waves, I did take the Insane out for a run. I think the work I did to the bottom did make a difference. I switched back from the giant Tyndall fin back to the XL OSE fin. It was kind of hard to assess because of the waves but the boat stayed planted in the turns. We'll do further testing either the weekend before the race or on Friday open water.

PS- We found the source of the train horn...

Was it Joes truck?

can't make up my mind on what to run for a 2nd boat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    20 mono or 20 rigger?

am still probably only going to run 2 boats at the race.

Mike Reynolds found out what the big waves do to small boats thats for sure.
    he is deffinately learning well and asking a lot of questions.
    that is the only way a person can gain knowledge and learn.

I think he is going to do great once he gets more wheel time and calmer water to boot. :-)

I am very please with the Fightercat outrunners over the T600's that were in the boat before.
    These are a bit more tractable and take throttling better.

Looking at all my junk last night, I have everything to put the 33DF together.
    motor, ESC's, batteries, carbon fiber, wood, receivers, flex shafts, props, and
    what have you.

only thing I need is a color for painting.

Got any suggestions for that. would like it to be a wild hot color.

I gave Tracy the little DF26 (for his son Zen) with Feigao 11L in it set up and all he needs
    are batteries (figure 2s for Zen), ESC, charger, 5.5mm bullets, and maybe a 435 prop.

I figure it would make him a nice FE boat to learn on and it will have a good home.

quick question........

what is a good motor to get from the Neu clearance section to have on hand for the Cat?

You're getting quite the collection of FE boats for a nitro guy. Why are you asking me about painting? You did a great job on the old Woodstuff. Looks like a totally different boat. I checked out the Neu clearance page and didnt find anything appropriate for the Daytona. The only motors I've picked up in the clearance section have been trials motors. For a mid-upper 30's sized boat the 1527 1y is the motor of choice for heat racing on 6S. I haven't done too much research but the Castle 1717 might also fit the bill.

Glad we got your Insane back on the water. I love the way that boat runs in the chop. Just like your avatar. Stays flat as a pancake. I spent the morning sanding down my Insane mono to get a little rocker out of her at the transom. I also reset the strut a little negative so I can pull the cg back a bit without her porpoising.

I've been very happy with the new members we've gotten this year. In the club and in the district. Things look very encouraging for the future. I've got some race and club fliers I made for the LHS and will get some copies over to Hobby Hanger. They still have some old ones from the race in June and asked for some updated ones.

just found another guy inVA (Chesterfield) that is getting ready to convert a Gen. 1 Insane cat to FE.

I shot him my e-mail address and told him about our race at the end of the month.
    hope he gets hold of me.

looks like he is going to put a Leopard 5692/590KV motor in it and possibly on 14 or 16S power.

The club will be doing a sight clean up and a final test'n tune on Saturday the 20th at 10AM. We'll also discuss the upcoming race weekend.

We are also going to need all club members on Thursday the 25th at 5PM to set up for the race. We have to install the drivers stand, install the safety netting and possibly set up the race course. The more we get done on Thursday, the less rushed we'll be on Friday morning when our guests start to arrive.

Carl will be sending out emails to all club members shortly.

Probable Test n Tune a week from Saturday. (Sept 10). Stay tuned. Have a great holiday weekend and be safe!!!

Hope everyone is ready for Turkey Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got to work during the day tomorrow and then go back in for the mid watch... II'll be a zombie for Turkey Day.

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

chilli chilli chilli.....nov 30 makes 5 years of crappy retirement lol.....ill work your mid for ya ,,,i need the money .......woops what am i saying i always hated working mids.....at sdf we had to work our butts off all night...as i remember i hated 3 to 11s also lol
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Dust off your headset. I'll check you out. What the heck. The military shuts down for the holidays, the powers to be wave a majic wand I'm an instant approach controller.

I'm eligible in January but I aint going anywhere for a while. Too many boats to build. LOL

The mids were okay when I was young but I'm getting to old for that crap, plus the wife says I'm a bigger A-hole than normal when I come off the mids.

ya id stay for as long as i could also......u have a while to 56......the money is too good to have only half of it to spend.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    .......... plus the wife says I'm a bigger A-hole than normal when I come off the mids.
    Now THAT is downright SCARY!!!

JUST KIDDING!!

Hope all is good, got back to workin' on the Albert Lee 1/8 scale FE and updated pics on I/W.
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

LOL. Happy Thanksgiving Don. Can't wait to see pics of the new 1/8th scale. My new gas mono and FE Tunnel are just about done. I may be working on a boat or two over the winter for spring SAWs.

Mike;
    I got the 80 and 100V controllers for you to try on the SAW boats from Ben.

Also getting ready to slowly put together the twin Cat over the winter and maybe the 10S mono as well.

waiting for the 2nd 6S 300A controller to arrive.

only 6s and 300a? i am looking for at least a 10s 300a...any idears where i can get one?

Were you going to do a SAW cat for spring trials Carl? If so what class?

I was thinking of doing P-Sport Hydro and Q-Tunnel (cat). I have everything I need for the Sport Hydro. I have to decide what hull I want for the Cat.

going to try and do a 6S cat and maybe a 10S mono.

maybe just a 10S mono.

Ben suggested the 32" river cat he has for SAW.

Ron;
    fightercat has the new 16S 300A esc's in stock now.

thanks carl ill look it over

Ron;
    I have been using/testing his 6S 300A, 16S 200A and the smaller 6S 140 and 160A esc's and all have performed great.

I'll do a P Cat if you want to do a Q. I'll still be faster.....

sounds good to me Mike.
    will use outrunners in mine then.............

I would like to join the club. You guys still active? I am in manassas and know exactly where you run. I run close to you just behind Copper Canyon grill in centreville.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338207005.638577.jpg

Hey Richard, Just got back in from out of town. We are an active club. Our numbers are down from years past due to the economy but we have a half dozen core members and are always looking to get the membership up. I would love to get the club numbers up so we can have more formal events every couply weeks. But for now we mostly runs informal test n tunes at the club pond and once a year we hold a IMPBA District 12 race which is in two weeks. Many members also travel to other District races in the region (within a couple hours drive). They are a great bunch of racers in the the district. Good, knowledgable people wiling to share what they know.

I see on the other thread you were possibly interested in racing with us. The first thing you'll have to do is join the IMPBA (www.impba.net). That will cost you a little over $50 bucks. If you join online, you can email the IMPBA President and he'll get your IMPBA number immediately. Then if you want to give racing a shot, fill out the race flyer to run the novice class for $8. If you decide this is something you want to do, you can join the club and have access to the club pond and retrieval boat on weekends (with prior coordination from the management). Racing in our district is a weekend thing. We race most of the day on Saturdays and through early afternoon on Sundays. We run four heats per class. The points tally at the end of four heats determines the winner for the weekend.

If you do not want to commit to racing yet, drop by and check out the action. Some club members are also going to be at West Potomac High School (south of Alexandria) all day next Saturday at RC Mania. We'll have a bunch of boats on display.
    Attached Files Attached Files