Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got an Impulse, did you?

Default I got an Impulse!

I got a new Impulse! Ordered from Horizon Hobbies yesterday morning and it's here today! Lot's of pics! All from my phone but they should be decent enough.
    The boats very well put together and as much as I hate to admit it MUCH better put together than my Motley Crew.

The hardware is solid and pretty nice for an RTR and everythings sealed up on the transom as you will notice in my pics. The battery trays are a little narrow for my lipo's but they will probably fit, it's a pain in the neck getting to the screws for the turn fins to install them because of the swim step. Without having ran it I'd have to say at least from a quality point of view it's the best RTR to date. Enjoy!

securedownload (13).jpg securedownload (14).jpg securedownload (16).jpg securedownload (15).jpg securedownload (17).jpg
    Last edited by v-spec; 07-29-2011 at 11:05 AM.

Our first shipment of them is arriving on friday!...Cant wait!
    Spektrum Radios
    Proboat "Impulse" 31 Deep-V
    Proboat "Mystic" (On the list!)

Just went over the boat once more while removing the motor and esc and etc and noticed the flex shaft is VERY tight in the strut bushing, tight enough that I could not remove it by hand. Maybe it's just mine and it's VERY minor but it's something to watch out for so you guy's don't go load your motor up your first time out.

Other than that, with the hatch taped up water leaks from the swim step/transom through the silicone cooling hose because the hose is a little too small compared with the hole drilled for it, again not a big deal and I've already fixed it with an Aeromarine water inlet http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=aero-2014 that popped right in perfect with a small dab of silicone sealant to seal it. Here's some pics.

securedownload (32).jpg securedownload (33).jpg securedownload (30).jpg securedownload (31).jpg
    Last edited by v-spec; 07-28-2011 at 03:11 PM.

what the top speed of this beauty!

The prop shaft on mine was good but I did not check the cooling line in the transom that might be where the vary little but of warred is coming in at

Quote Originally Posted by electric007 View Post
    what the top speed of this beauty!
    I've not ran it yet but I have run this motor/esc setup in other boats. With the right prop usually in the mid 40mph range maybe a little more on 4s. It's a great setup!

As for the cooling line leak in the transom, it's not much but my boats are upside down a lot in our local pond since it's next to the beach and winds always blowing. I took it into the bathtub and put it upside down to check for leaks and that was the only place it was leaking (at least while it was in the tub.)
    Last edited by v-spec; 07-28-2011 at 03:12 PM.

I see you didn't wast any time taking all the stock ele. out. What do you plan on running in it?

Quote Originally Posted by slow-at-rc View Post
    I see you didn't wast any time taking all the stock ele. out. What do you plan on running in it?
    I'm still not 100% sure. I know what I wan't I'm just not sure what I can afford. If I can sell some more stuff I'd like a Neu 1415 1y and Hydra Ice 240. I might have to make due with some sort of clone motor and a Seaking 180 though.

That might not be so bad but I want to run this boat in the P mono class and it's already a little small compared with the delta 33's cyberstorms and Insane 34's that are pretty common, I'd hate to be down on power as well. It's basically a delta 29 without the ride pad so it's small. Worst case I'll just have to practice driving!

I know one thing though, whatever decision I make it's going to be today because I can't wait to get it on the water!

Does anyone know what the the speed difference is between the 1500 and 1800 motors? I kind of want one of these but kind of what to know so speeds, I don't run lipos.

The 1800kv is a couple mph faster with the same props. I've had both motors in other boats numerous times and that's been my experience. You will have to buy the program card if you don't have it already to set the esc to run nimh without it hitting the LVC early.

I am just looking to see if it would be faster then my stock spartan with the same batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrashracing View Post
    I am just looking to see if it would be faster then my stock spartan with the same batteries.
    Probably a little faster.

One thing I just realized and had to grab the boat to check out and make sure was that the tupperware cover to keep everything dry is pretty useless with the cowl lock design since there is a big hole to let all the water in. I tape my boats anyways but for those of you who don't (why wouldn't you?) it's one more reason to buy some hockey tape.

hatchhole.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by v-spec View Post
    Probably a little faster.

One thing I just realized and had to grab the boat to check out and make sure was that the tupperware cover to keep everything dry is pretty useless with the cowl lock design since there is a big hole to let all the water in. I tape my boats anyways but for those of you who don't (why wouldn't you?) it's one more reason to buy some hockey tape.

hatchhole.jpg
    Good CATCH!
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

kinda says u better tape it up or else .....someone forgot to check that part out lol....how does the hatch go on anyway? i thought i saw a small hole for a pin in the front like the geigo hatch ..so what is the big hole in the back for?
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Ok guys I'm bored so it's time for me to start posting some of my plans for the Impulse. Before I do though let me first say that this boat doesn't really need anything besides some 5.5 bullet connectors found here http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...d=ose-55bullet for the motor and esc/batteries a roll of hatch tape and some water to drive it in. It really is that nice!

With that said, I bought this boat to make it fast. It will be modeled after the P class boats and that mean's 4s and whatever I can fit under the cowl. My tight budget will narrow down my motor and esc choices as well as batteries since I sold my awesome Thunder Power 4s packs to pay for the boat.. I'm going to be ordering some parts as soon as I make a final decision (again since the last Neu 1415 1y sold here on OSE as soon as I decided to pull the trigger ) for now I've got an empty hull begging for power!

securedownload (34).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    kinda says u better tape it up or else .....someone forgot to check that part out lol....how does the hatch go on anyway? i thought i saw a small hole for a pin in the front like the geigo hatch ..so what is the big hole in the back for?
    its a hatch lock

Well I ordered a couple motors and an ESC and a bunch of other little stuff today. One cheap motor to hold me over till my Neu comes in! This is what I got.

Neu 1515 1Y on order from local LHS
    Tacon 4074 2150kv
    HRC/OSE extra long 4074 water jacket
    Castle 6.5mm bullet connectors for motors
    Castle 5.5m bullets for batteries/esc
    Seaking 180esc
    1 Gens Ace 4s 30c 5300mah pack
    2x Thunder Power 4s 65c 5000mah packs
    GT3B 2.4ghz radio and receiver
    and a bunch of velcro because I had to remove the proper lipo holder to fit my packs (sorry Tony!)

I was tempted to not order the tacon motor (any of you used one?) since I've never tried one but for $49 I said what the hell since it'll get me on the water till my Neu comes in. LHS said 3 weeks or so which totally sucks. Hope it's worth the wait, actually I know it will be! The last Neu I had was in my old H&M drifter S and it hauled!

Anyways I'll post for everyone to see once I got something worth posting. In the meanwhile I removed the awesome lipo holder since my 4s packs don't fit very well and rub up against the bolt in the middle.

They technically "just" fit but they are rubbing up against that bolt pretty good pushing the pack in in the middle (hard to tell in the pics but the packs pushed in pretty good.) I'm also going to coat all the wood with epoxy since most of it is untreated. Here's some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by v-spec; 07-28-2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: typos

I have one of those Tacon 2150 motors. They are awesome! Comparable to the Castle motors with the exception of the motor leads. Great value motor. Just take it apart and check for shavings inside. I opened mine before I ran it and sure enough, it had shavings on the rotor.

Ok thanks good to know and thanks for the heads up! I was just gonna order a seaking 180 since they are in stock at hobbypartz with free shipping and only an hour from my house so I get it next day but then I saw the Tacon for $49 and the thing that made me actually order it was that it was Orange in color and matches the orange on my boat! (sucker I know!) I've still got a Leopard 2200kv too at least I can compare the two sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by JackBlack26 View Post
    I have one of those Tacon 2150 motors. They are awesome! Comparable to the Castle motors with the exception of the motor leads. Great value motor. Just take it apart and check for shavings inside. I opened mine before I ran it and sure enough, it had shavings on the rotor.

Is the stock prop on the boat S/B?

Quote Originally Posted by dmwilson09 View Post
    Is the stock prop on the boat S/B?
    No it's not but I've worked on a few of them and they are clean casts and not far off balance from the factory. It's not a prop I'd use on this boat with the stock motor myself but it def won't burn things up.

Quote Originally Posted by v-spec View Post
    No it's not but I've worked on a few of them and they are clean casts and not far off balance from the factory. It's not a prop I'd use on this boat with the stock motor myself but it def won't burn things up.
    I am thinking about getting this boat and would like to run a prop that would get this boat up to 40 Mph on 4s with out hurting/stressing the electronics. Can you anyone recommend a prop.

I am thinking about getting this boat and would like to run a prop that would get this boat up to 40 Mph on 4s with out hurting/stressing the electronics. Can you anyone recommend a prop.
    An x or m445 should get you there but don't expect to run it for 10 minutes with that prop and check temps before you run too long with any prop upgrade.

Octura x445
    Brappp

try a 3 blade on 5 s hehe like an x440/3 or a grim 40/52/3

byw i had tacon motor 1900 kv green can that died on the 6th run, but ive heard the orange cans are much better quality and more comparable to the leopard than the green ones. i wonder why tho....

Proboat specs the stock prop as a 1.6x2.5. So my question is (and I really dont know), wouldnt a m or x445 be a smaller prop.

Proboat specs the stock prop as a 1.6x2.5. So my question is (and I really dont know), wouldnt a m or x445 be a smaller prop.
    more like the stock prop has more pitch. im not sure the diameter of that stock prop but i think the x445 is larger diameter and definitely less pitch. im not sure i agree with the prop proboat used (considering its the same one they use on all their boats) i think the 1.4 series would be a better choice given the motor. jmo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast