Thread: "Deep Cycle" or "Starting" battery for lakeside charging; which is better ?

Default "Deep Cycle" or "Starting" battery for lakeside charging; which is better ?

My 3 yr old deep cycle battery is history; need to buy another battery - wondering which is better. Need to hold voltage up the highest; my Hyperion chargers kick out a "low input voltage" error message when the voltage of the storage battery drops some. I seem to remember that there's a way to set the LV threshold on the Hyperions but can't find the info. Anyone ?
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Why not get a jump pack? Or maybe try a drycell. Holds more charge than the wet cell

I think a deep cycle
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

What about a gel cell like an Optima? Its a pricey buy...

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...etop/index.php

The yellow tops would work also.

You might be able to pick one up on craigs list local. Also many of the car audio batteries would work- sealed gel cell types.

You could run the chargers on 2 deep cycle batteries in series (24 volts). It'll lower your amp draw and might help your Hyperions run cooler by not having to step up the voltage as much.

Twice as much weight to lug around though...

Thanks for the suggestions, But... Optimas are out of my price range .... two deep cycle batteries too, plus I have to carry my battery up a flight of stairs to recharge it so two batteries would be tough. A jump pack has a small overall capacity....not sure what a dry cell is. I'm still looking to find out the difference between a Deep Cycle and Starting battery - I can get either for less than $ 100 - just would like to know what the difference is between them & which would make a better Lakeside battery.
    Thoughts ? John ??
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Deep cycle handles deep discharge much better than a starting battery
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

A deep-cycle lead-acid battery is designed to be regularly deeply discharged using most of its capacity. In contrast, starter batteries (e.g. most automotive batteries) are designed to deliver short, high current burst for cranking the engine, and to be frequently discharged of only a very small part of their capacity.

Found this online, hope it helps.
    In my full size boat I have a battery that's a combination heavy duty marine starting/deep cycle battery.

Mark

Mark

Tony,
    These go on sale even lower sometimes, I've seen them and 98.99 before. 800 watts should be more then enough power and I doubt it"ll consume much gas.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/engines...tor-66619.html.

If you left it on all day you could expect about 5 hours for a gallon of gas a 3.60-3.99 a gallon plus oil. I'm not sure if charging a battery is costing as much or not.

here are the specs
    Name 800 Rated Watts/900 Max Watts Portable Generator
    SKU 66619
    Brand Chicago Electric Generators
    Run Time 5 hrs at 50% load
    Fuel Shut Off Fuel Shut Off
    Mounting Type Horizontal
    Output Watts 800
    Output Voltage 120
    Output Amps 20
    Decibel Level 91
    Outlet Receptacles 1
    Shipping Volume 1.867
    Certifications/Approvals EPA and CARB
    RPM Rated 3600
    Fuel Tank Capacity 1.1 gal
    Start Type Recoil
    Max Output Watts 900
    Horsepower 2
    Manufacturer Warranty Detail

Stinger9D9 and Jim Clark both have valid arguments. A deep cycle battery will allow deeper discharges without damage. That's why they are used in solar power applications as well as golf carts and trolling motor use. And two of them (24v) will be easier on the charger (but more weight to tote). So the best solution might be two small deep cycle batteries. BTW, that deep cycle battery should have given you another couple years of service IMO, - were you charging it back fully at the end of every session and checking the water levels?
    Legend 36 sailboat, KMB Powerjet Ed Hardy Viper, ABC jet pwrd BBY Oval Master, ABC Hobby Jetski, NQD Tear Into's, HK Discovery 500, MickieBeez pwrd Jet Rigger!, Davette/Gravtix jet sprint, KMB Powerjet Pursuit, NQD pwrd Jet Catamaran!,Steam pwrd African Queen, Sidewinder airboat, Graupner Eco Power

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    Stinger9D9 and Jim Clark both have valid arguments. A deep cycle battery will allow deeper discharges without damage. That's why they are used in solar power applications as well as golf carts and trolling motor use. And two of them (24v) will be easier on the charger (but more weight to tote). So the best solution might be two small deep cycle batteries. BTW, that deep cycle battery should have given you another couple years of service IMO, - were you charging it back fully at the end of every session and checking the water levels?
    My living arrangement ( I live in an upstairs apartment) makes it necessary to tote the battery upstairs to my apt. to charge it; there's nowhere to plug in a charger downstairs. These batteries are Heavy ! Consequently I've been lax, as you pointed out both in re-charging and checling water levels - my bad. Also, the apt. rules exclude storing gas-powered devices in the parking areas, and keeping a generator in my apt. or car could be smelly and dangerous. Looks like I'll spring for a new deep cycle battery and be more observant of maintenence including installing a led voltage monitor (Radio Shack has a nice, small goodie just for these applications-I have one on my motorcycle). Live & Learn !

Go and buy an Inverter Drive Generator, lots of companys make them now and the prices are well under $1000.00 I am seriously looking into buying one now. Costco canada has a 2000 watt inverter gen for $500.00 and I just heard it run WITH a load on it, Very Quiet !
    There is no replacement for displacement, I guess I just have to Buzz it higher!

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    My living arrangement ( I live in an upstairs apartment) makes it necessary to tote the battery upstairs to my apt. to charge it; there's nowhere to plug in a charger downstairs.
    I've prematurely ruined a deep cycle battery or two in the past. Isn't that how you learn?! Costly education. Another solution might be to get a solar panel and let it charge the battery. A single panel charger won't overcharge a deep cycle - you can leave it hooked up until you need it. Of course you'd need a secure storage location. Times being what they are, it might grow legs and walk away.
    Legend 36 sailboat, KMB Powerjet Ed Hardy Viper, ABC jet pwrd BBY Oval Master, ABC Hobby Jetski, NQD Tear Into's, HK Discovery 500, MickieBeez pwrd Jet Rigger!, Davette/Gravtix jet sprint, KMB Powerjet Pursuit, NQD pwrd Jet Catamaran!,Steam pwrd African Queen, Sidewinder airboat, Graupner Eco Power

I've prematurely ruined a deep cycle battery or two in the past. Isn't that how you learn?! Costly education. Another solution might be to get a solar panel and let it charge the battery. A single panel charger won't overcharge a deep cycle - you can leave it hooked up until you need it. Of course you'd need a secure storage location. Times being what they are, it might grow legs and walk away.
    I am going to try the solor panel thing next week. I am going to be on a houseboat for a week so I got a 45watt 2.55 amp solor panel and controller to hook up to my optima yellow top. I will let ya know how it works.

Hey Sundog, Don't take this the wrong way , but I feel a little better knowing that I'm not the only one to mishandle a deep cycle battery. Looks like I'll cough up for a nice new battery & keep up the maintenence. I do like the solar panel idea, but security is an issue as you pointed out.

Can you run a good extension cord out a window or door form upstairs to downstairs ?

Tony, I can get you an Optima battery for cost, I've been selling them for years. Let me know what one you want and I'll shoot you a price.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepme View Post
    I am going to try the solor panel thing next week. I am going to be on a houseboat for a week so I got a 45watt 2.55 amp solor panel and controller to hook up to my optima yellow top. I will let ya know how it works.
    Sounds like a winning combination.

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Hey Sundog, Don't take this the wrong way , but I feel a little better knowing that I'm not the only one to mishandle a deep cycle battery.
    Nope, you're not the first - nor the last, methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepme View Post
    So this worked better than I excpected. We had two boats running the whole week and a total of 10 battery packs (2s 40c 5000mah gen ace). the solor panel was hooked up to the optima yellow top the whole time. We ran in the mornings and the evenings and for the first 2 days had no problem charging the packs. The 3rd day the optima was at 11.25 volts so we didnt run and just let the solor panel charge the battery for a full day. The voltage was back up to 12.85volts and we charged packs for the remainder of the week. Once I got home I put the optima back in my Jeep and it started right up. This really was a fun week and I couldnt believe how well the solor panel and optima yellow top worked.