Thread: Who Runs in SW?

Default Who Runs in SW?

Do any of you guy's run your boats in salt water? If so do you get alot of corsion on the HW? I am researching another area of boating and would have to run in the back bay.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Were I used to live, I was a block from the beach in tampa bay which is salt Ive ran everything there from my first fe to a gasser an a few nitros, as long as I flushed my cooling lines really well, washed the whole boat down with a mild detergent an then sprayed some wd-40 on the hardware, Ive never had a problem. But you do have to make sure you do it liberally. Like for my cooling I have a 3gal jug I filled with warm water with a small silicone hose at the bottom hot glued in, I would hang the jug an set the boat on the stand an let gravity flow the whole jug through the system then Id set it up to flush in reverse (through the outlet first) for a whole 3gal. Done.

-Wayne

I also do this where I run now which is a retention pond still not to far from the bay. Just not so much flushing since its only mildly brackesh

Kewl man thanks for th tips and info. It helps out alot .

This lubricant was engineered for lubricating metal in salt water applications. Like it better than the grease I was using. Tried it in boats running over 30,000 rpm with no problems. Use a light coating on the flex shaft and bearings and hardware. I left the flex in for a week after a run before I pulled it, no rust was found on the flex cable. Wiped the moisture/purple residue off and it was shiny.

[http://search.stores.ebay.com/CS-Wes...870988QQsofpZ0

Last edited by ReddyWatts; 02-25-2008 at 05:59 PM.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo
    M1 Supercat - Neu 1527 1Y, 8s / Mean Machine- Feigao 580, 8s, 120 HV esc
    Mean Machine - Feigao 540 14XL, 8s, 100 amp HV esc, X537/3

THANK YOU MR. WATTS

Default re :

For a couple of years I ran in salt water; man, be carefull of getting it on set-screws ! [ like the ones on couplers] I'd shoot corrosion-X on all hardware.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

I run my boat in the ocean mostly the one thing u have to do even with a real boat is clean it. Just like the last few post said u have to clean the boat if not ur going to make Steven a little more richer. The guys above my post have some great ideas and more knowlodge then me about this. Just given u my 2 cents.
    Failure is the First step to SUCCESS

I ran my boats in sea water without any problems. This is what I do after, preferrably as soon as possible:

a) Flush the cooling lines with tab water with some pressure using a syringe
    b) Wash with tab water all boat and specially throw water on the rudder, propeller and dry it
    c) If some water enters inside the hull, I spray some WD40 in the motor coupling
    d) Remove the flex shaft , wash with tab water, dry quickly, spray WD40 and grease
    e) I have stainless steel bolts and nuts everywhere in the hull.