Thread: MiniCat Samurai. Motor upgrad options.

Default MiniCat Samurai. Motor upgrad options.

Well I took delivery of it today and have yet to run it, but Im already gutting it for a motor esc upgrade.

Boat is approx 27"L x 9.5" wide. My RX or bat weight is 13.14 oz.

Cog is 30-35% per manufacture set up instructions.

I want this to be an ungodly fast boat, runtime is not important, this will be used only to smash the MG and the MC boats that my buddies are running for a few laps then back on the stand so my gasses can come back out.

Currently with a 38 x 40mm prop.

I dont know the exact specs on the motor, I swear sailr posted that info somewhere.

I think he said it was a 540 series 2200kv 4 pole motor... but i could be way off base.

No matter Its all coming out.

Cost is not a concern but im not out to sink crap loads of money in to my "drag" toy.

What would you do??? Motor, esc, prop, drive line should I go to a wire?

HELP PLEASE AND Thanks.
    Last edited by Dustin Sontag; 07-08-2011 at 09:53 PM. Reason: wow cant edit the title. im such a dumb arse.

I got the same boat before you did, I ran and loved the boat, off the shelf it wasn't as fast as I had hoped, the motor is two pole for sure. I did not use their Ten Shock ESC, I had a SeaKing 90A and it works fine, I also want to up grade the motor to a four pole some time in the future but haven't decided which one to get. The size of the stock is 4060 so I was looking for a Leopard with the same size but with a slightly lower kv rating. ( lower than kv2000, I mean). You may need to re-enforce the motor mount area if using a big torque motor, I epoxied extra fiber cloth on both sides of it and now it is not only rigid but the load is spread out evenly. Just my two cents worth of opinion. Good luck and looking forward to hear your results!

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    I got the same boat before you did, I ran and loved the boat, off the shelf it wasn't as fast as I had hoped, the motor is two pole for sure. I did not use their Ten Shock ESC, I had a SeaKing 90A and it works fine, I also want to up grade the motor to a four pole some time in the future but haven't decided which one to get. The size of the stock is 4060 so I was looking for a Leopard with the same size but with a slightly lower kv rating. ( lower than kv2000, I mean). You may need to re-enforce the motor mount area if using a big torque motor, I epoxied extra fiber cloth on both sides of it and now it is not only rigid but the load is spread out evenly. Just my two cents worth of opinion. Good luck and looking forward to hear your results!
    What batts did you run and what kinda speeds were you getting? I have a 120a Hk that I may try to fry the stock motor with. Sailr says 4s is all it will hold, Im here to find that limit lol

I was using two 7.4v lipo in series, rating: 5000mah, 30c. Got them at Hobbypartz.com ( Skylipo) . I have decent experience with these on my rc trucks. Anyway I couldn't stuff a GPS in the hull, my guess is that the speed was low to mid 30's. Sailr's video lookes much faster, I tried to say "damm ..damm''" didn't help. lol. I have to admit I am pretty new to this and i just found out today that I didn't program my DeltaForce MiniVortex correctly so it wasn't getting full throttle signal from my radio. I need to check this with my Samurai as well. They all have SeaKing ESC. ( one is 35A and the other is 90A). Oh, my 90A ESC never got warm, the motor on the other hand was pretty warm---next time will have temp gauge..

Well. spent more time getting to know the boat more, for one thing,,I was right about not calibrating the throttle curve right, these Tactic radios are funny. I followed the instruction from the ESC that all throttle trim, EPA, etc. has to be 100%, but it doesn't program correctly. I have to turn the throttle trim way down, then program, only after this will the ESC program correctly. Out on the water to get full throttle I have to crank the throttle trim to max. then I get seemingly full curve. Anyone has similar experience? The boat is much faster, if you look at sailr's you tube, I now have same feel of speed. ( I know this is not sientific, but who cares? just want to have a good time) handles real well.