Thread: Spartan wire drives

Default Spartan wire drives

The 078 wire drives are about to finish production so they will be shipping over the next few days. Please give us input when you run them. Hope they do well. Should run in the stock teflon just fine.

My aplogies for some of the wait but between the Holiday and me being glued to the hotel I have been behind.

Excellent, I have been very interested to try and run one of these.

Kevin

What exactly is needed if converting to wire drive?? What are the main advantages??

Smoother, less friction, less maintenance, Does not compress uder torque (but still leave a slight gap at the strut), lighter, Will hold up better than a 150 cable. Does not suck water up like a cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    Smoother, less friction, less maintenance, Does not compress uder torque (but still leave a slight gap at the strut), lighter, Will hold up better than a 150 cable. Does not suck water up like a cable.
    So does this mean if I order one it will fit without extra parts or modification? Last time I ordered a wire drive I found out when installing I needed a new nut as the threads were different from stock and I needed to grind down the area where the set screw sits. Love your flex drive by the way, has been great with about 20 sets of batteries run through it so far.

You need a 3/16" drive dog and nut for 10/32 threads...which is the std. Thank you for the compliment.

Ordered mine last night, along with the Octura Coupler, and Octura Prop nut. Can't wait to get! I'll let you guys know how it runs when it gets here!

this is good to hear, as i ordered the wire drive last weekened and havent gotten any shipping info yet, doesnt matter any way as i sent my electronics in to traxxas anyways

Hey Jeff, I ordered everything via your site on Friday but on the Pay Pal site when I hit submit with all my payment info in place, the page just refreshed and cleared all the fields. I can't tell if the order went through or not. Afraid to do it again just yet. Sent you a email as well asking if it came through on your end. Hadn't heard back from you yet. Can you let me know if I need to try again or not as soon as you can? Thanks. Chris

Chris, I do not see anything. I have gotten orders even last night.

okay, i'll do it again tonight. Thanks.

Done... went through that time. Let me know if I didn't pick the right coupler size or anything. Any idea of a ETA?

Just got mine in the mail today! Installed everything easily, had to swap over the stock drive dog onto it because the one that came on it was a little to short for the stock prop, haven't gotten to run it with it on yet but I'll let you guys know when i do

Looking forward to hear your opinion on how they work. Mine shipped a couple days ago, but i will probably be a week or two waiting on international shipping, so any input will be appreciated.

Kevin

What do you mean the drive dog being too short? The stock on is 4mm, correct? I even turn the 3/16 part of the shaft just a little longer. Please let me know as I want to make sure the 3/16x5/16 dogs work

Hey Jeff, what coupler do i need for your .078 wire drive?thanks.... Scott--
    Scott Spartan#1: castle hydra ice 240 castle 2200 Prather 220 turnigy 5.0 45c lipos with max amps water pump... Spartan#2: leopard 1800, octura 440 ,traxxas 8400 mah 25c lipos.....updated deeper hull....

either an Octura 5x78 or a set screw type. most orders are liking the octura version...just easier.

Jeff seems to get inundated with questions on the .187 flex cables and .078 wire drives. These are new to me as well so I thought I'd post up a couple photos of the different cable/wire drives for a visual comparison for everyone.

These are my first exposure to wire drives, the wire is very stiff, much stiffer than I was expecting and they are not going to work if the stuffing tube has any amount of bend in it. As Jeff has stated, I think the Spartan is a good candidate for a wire drive, I was planning on trying this one in my Genesis cat, but I'm certain I'm out of luck because of the curve in the stuffing tube.

Maybe I'll try them in the SV27's, but they have a pretty sharp upturn in the stuffing tube at the motor end as well, so not sure they will be suitable.

The Drive Cables

Same order as above photo: Close up Showing Thickness and Flex Cable Wind.

Collets for Comparison: Different manufactures could be slightly different dimensions. The wire drives can also use a coupler with set screws for both the motor and shaft.

Kevin
    Last edited by dag-nabit; 07-23-2011 at 08:44 AM.

I ran mine the other day, in a fairly small pound, however I forgot to bring my series connector so i could only run 3s, which wasn't too bad.
    These wire drives are awesome to say the least! It ran extremely smooth with no heat or problems

All you need is the Spartan Wire Drive, The octura collet coupler(5mmx78) and I'm not sure if you need it but it looks really cool the Prop Nut 10/32 Thread $3.25

I'll let you guys know how it runs on 6s when i get the chance to run it again! Hopefully soon

The wire drive will work much better than a big a$$ cable. Smoother, less friction and heat and no wind up. As long as they hold together with that big stub it should be fine. You can use the stock liner but I would like to find a liner that fits with a 125 ID in it.

Dag-nabit...I may have to put you on the payroll as my marketing guy...LOL

Ran mine today on 6s and it ran awesome, very little chine walk and no overheating in the drive line. However....I did toast my motor, about 3/4 through the run it started cutting out. Luckily it barely had enough juice to get it back to shore, but this of course wasn't because of the wire drive system!

Glad to hear. Sorry to hear about the motor...now you can step it up :) Throw a 4082 in it on 6S

Yeah I love it! And I've already called traxxas about it and got an RMA, now i just gotta wait...then once that gets to slow I'll eventually upgrade

Thumbs up

Just got my wire drives and couplers from Jeff today.... Can't wait until the rest of my parts come off backorder.... Bare hull, brass tubing and liners....... Can't do much driveline stuff without the hull.... Anyways they look good Jeff! Keep up good work ! One question, you still have to grease these wire drives correct? Thanks again! Fast service and shipping also !
    Scott Spartan#1: castle hydra ice 240 castle 2200 Prather 220 turnigy 5.0 45c lipos with max amps water pump... Spartan#2: leopard 1800, octura 440 ,traxxas 8400 mah 25c lipos.....updated deeper hull....

Heck yes you need to lube it. I like any waterproof synthetic wheel bearing grease (walmart- Penzoil) and then I drip a little oil on it as well. I do the same with the stub end.

Lol ok i have grim racer grease and Prather cable grease..... Will do.... Thanks again!

Hey Jeff I made an order on Saturday for a spartan wire drive, a .078 collet a .150 collet a drivedog and a prop nut.Did I get all the right stuff and any idea when they might ship?
    (Brandon Peterson is the name on order)
    Thanks again,
    I look forward to trying this wire drive out.

I am trying to catch up. I got some 5mm SS shaft that is not straight so wiating on some more. It should go out in the next day or so.