Thread: Skeg or No Skeg on a Micro Cat?

Default Skeg or No Skeg on a Micro Cat?

Can't decide on this one - I am trying to determine if I should run a strut with a skeg or without a skeg for a 6.5x15.5" custom micro ScatCat?
    Set up is 0.125" Flex Micro HW, Ammo 28-3600kv motor, 8x1400mAh 2/3 NiMH, x427 or x430 prop.

I'd appreciate any advice. Hey, winter's too long here in New England, so I'll have all the time to build this thing...

Thanks!

I just got a micro scat cat as well. Building it now. let me know how your build goes. I just got the stock hardware with it. Castle 45 Pheonix, AON T2815-3000kv,and 2 x TP evo 25 1800mah 3s1p, airtronics m8 w/2.4ghz. My first build.

A question of my own. Does the skeg protect the prop or help with tracking or is it purely for bling factor.

from experience, the boat (at least my Renegade rigger) runs faster and more stable without the skeg. I have to assume that it will be the same in a cat application.
    The skeg will protect the prop from damage, but like everything, you have to give something to get another.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I'm running the skeg on my hydromite and it seems ok, but I have no basis for comparison
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

you don't need a skeg on the micro scat cat
    i had one and ran it very fast with out a skeg.
    no need.

Please do post pictures of you boat
    EYEKANDYGRAPHICS

www.rclipos.com

Thanks guys! The skeg is 2mm thick and looks like it'll be a drag on such a small boat. I'll just cut off the skeg and round off the strut since there is no major advantage. I'll keep you guys posted of the build.