Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NQD jet boat up grade need help

Default NQD jet boat up grade need help

I am going to upgrade a nqd jet boat and I need a set up for under $50 exluding shipping I would like a motor between 3500-4000 kv. I need an ESC a motor and a battery and charger. Someone please help me out! I would like for it to be fast and powerful and mostly reliable.

What size boat and speed expectation also what batteries do you have might save ou a couple bux

Maybe 7l and 100 amp hobbyking esc

check out rcuniverse.com under the fast electric boat forums. lots of set ups for this boat over there.

To Alexgar about an 18 in boat and I am new to hobbies like this why would I need such a large esc

To TheShaughnessy thank you for the website I will check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Trexter67 View Post
    I am going to upgrade a nqd jet boat and I need a set up for under $50 exluding shipping I would like a motor between 3500-4000 kv. I need an ESC a motor and a battery and charger. Someone please help me out! I would like for it to be fast and powerful and mostly reliable.
    I don't think you will be able to do it on $50 if you get new stuff.
    I used this motor http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-sl-12t-2040-blue.html
    this ESC http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-seaking-25a.html
    and bought a couple 1300 mah lipos and it was $60 without buying a charger.
    But these little jet boats are a blast to drive!
    Here's mine
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt4GF-QkNmc

Just noticed you are in TN, me too. Where at?

Memphis.I have been looking at hobby king and I found everything I need but the boat for $60. A 3800kv turnigy a 35a esc and a battery with charger. But thanks and cool video

what modification have you made to the intake please ? im running the same jet unit in a custom built cathedral hull 012.jpg027.jpg028.jpgcurrently with the stock motor until i can afford a brushless one !

I have not done anything yet. I have not even ordered any parts but if you want to see some videos on this jet out put just type NQD Jet Boat on YouTube. Sorry I could not help you any more than that

I did no modifications to the intake or pump. Only put a piece of metal screen over the intake to keep from sucking in rocks in shallow water. I also drilled a hole in the pump for pressurized cooling for the motor and esc.

i shall need to put something over the intake as there is lots of blanket weed where i sail , which has already claimed my first prop ! where on the pump did you drill for a cooling inlet ?

I put it here....

003-5.jpg

in front of the nozzle so it doesn't block the nozzle movement.

here are more pictures

003-7.jpg

002-8.jpg

005-3.jpg

004-6.jpg

Trexter67, I am near Dickson,TN.

whats the plate below the nozzle for ?

How did you make the cover plate

Quote Originally Posted by triumphjon View Post
    whats the plate below the nozzle for ?
    It could be called a ride plate, I made it to keep from hitting the nozzle on rocks when creek bashing. I never ran the boat without it, so I really don't know if it helped the performance.

How did you make it

How did you make the cover plate
    Not sure what you mean by cover plate, unless you are talking about the ride plate. It is made from thick lexan. I used a sheet metal break to bend the lexan to match the shape of the hull. It is held on by the 4 pump screws. I'll get some pictures from the bottom tomorrow. Just got in from mowing the yard.

Ok I did that earlier as well, 5 acres

Memphis.I have been looking at hobby king and I found everything I need but the boat for $60. A 3800kv turnigy a 35a esc and a battery with charger. But thanks and cool video
    Trexter, that 3800kv motor is not your best choice. Ideally, you want a 3000kv (3S) or 4500kv (2S) tops, or it will sound faster but go no faster. I just did a conversion for a member on RCU and tested it yesterday, it has the 4800KV HK motor. The last 10-20% of throttle just make more noise, not more speed.

A ride plate will keep the hull from porpoising at full throttle with an oversized motor. I have a larger 3000kv outrunner in mine and it required the plate to keep it on the water. Very fast out of the hole.
    Legend 36 sailboat, KMB Powerjet Ed Hardy Viper, ABC jet pwrd BBY Oval Master, ABC Hobby Jetski, NQD Tear Into's, HK Discovery 500, MickieBeez pwrd Jet Rigger!, Davette/Gravtix jet sprint, KMB Powerjet Pursuit, NQD pwrd Jet Catamaran!,Steam pwrd African Queen, Sidewinder airboat, Graupner Eco Power

But will this motor work ok? It is an inrunner. I have already ordered the parts I want to know if I have messed up

Nope. I don't think you will be happy with it on either 2S or 3S. What battery are you going to be using?
    Legend 36 sailboat, KMB Powerjet Ed Hardy Viper, ABC jet pwrd BBY Oval Master, ABC Hobby Jetski, NQD Tear Into's, HK Discovery 500, MickieBeez pwrd Jet Rigger!, Davette/Gravtix jet sprint, KMB Powerjet Pursuit, NQD pwrd Jet Catamaran!,Steam pwrd African Queen, Sidewinder airboat, Graupner Eco Power

1800mah 3s 20c

I have just found a turnigy 3000kv inrunner, 2623 is the size. Will that work?

If you have a water jacket for your motor you can use it with that battery - for a while anyway. Without a water jacket, it won't last long at all. Check battery temps often at first. You may experience the 'faster sound than speed' syndrome I spoke of before, or either it won't be able to attain top speed (not enough torque) and will heat up the battery significantly. If you decide on another motor, try to find something as close to 3000kv that you can. An outrunner that has a built-in fan will also do well in this boat. But that battery is borderline (36A). I usually recommend at least 2200mah and the highest 'C' rating you can afford. You really should read the Tear Into thread on RCU: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7991409/tm.htm

hoping not to need trim tabs , but where did you source the mesh guard for the intake from ? im also looking into making my own metal prop !

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    Ideally, you want a 3000kv (3S) or 4500kv (2S) tops, or it will sound faster but go no faster. I just did a conversion for a member on RCU and tested it yesterday, it has the 4800KV HK motor. The last 10-20% of throttle just make more noise, not more speed.
    I haven't noticed that with mine, I have a 4800kv hobbywing (probably the same motor HobbyKing sells but from Hobbypartz.com). You can watch the video. That is how fast it goes on 2s, it is even faster on 3s. I have tried 4s, but would not recommend it to anyone!
    Last edited by C.B.R.; 07-08-2011 at 08:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast