Thread: stiletto prop not spinning, wont run

Unhappy stiletto prop not spinning, wont run

I am new to the hobby so bear with me. I Have a stiletto which ran only once in
    the water for about 10 minutes and then stopped. I thought
    the lipo's were just dead so I went out and got the boat.
    I charged the batteries and tried to run it. The motor would turn but no propeller spinning.
    I tried recommended maintenance on flex shaft and prop with grease but
    still no results. I can here the motor beeping essentially
    when pull the control trigger but no spinning.

Help, any ideas What I should try?

JR.

Post pictures of the outboard.

Looks like the cable is too short? Did you pull the cable all the way out to check if it's broken?

I'm not sure What cable you mean. Any more detail
    You could offer or even a picture?

Loose coupler?

Where would this coupler be located? I apologize but I'm
    Just starting out and learning. Would this coupler be under
    the motor cover itself? I tried tightening the prop and regressed
    the flex shaft but still no go. I appreciate your feedback and assistance as
    I was looking forward to enjoying it with my nephew tomorrow on 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by kruegeah View Post
    I'm not sure What cable you mean. Any more detail
    You could offer or even a picture?
    Cable = flex shaft.

Check Darin's Stiletto race prep thread for picture of the internals of the outboard.

The flex shaft can break easily if the outboard case has some sharp edges, you can contact Horizon Hobby and see if they will send you a replacement, it should last at least 10+ runs before breaking, especially with the stock setup on 4S.

Where would this coupler be located? I apologize but I'm
    Just starting out and learning. Would this coupler be under
    the motor cover itself? I tried tightening the prop and regressed
    the flex shaft but still no go. I appreciate your feedback and assistance as
    I was looking forward to enjoying it with my nephew tomorrow on 4th.

I see, cable is flex shaft. I tried to make sure Its in there well
    and it seams to be. The shaft isnt broken or cracked from what I can see.
    Are there any tricks I should try? Everything is stock on my stiletto. Its
    a week old.

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...odID=PRB4000BD
    Look at the picture in the bottom right corner it shows where the motor is and the coupler is the larger part on the shaft
    Last edited by Camaroracer; 07-03-2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: is your flex square on both ends?

I see. I checked that and its tight. It almost sounds like
    Something is stuck or not allowing it to spin. All items by prop
    and.shaft/coupler are tight and properly greased. Is there anything
    in engine area I should look at? Could it be an over tightened coupler perhaps?

the coupler on the motor

try rebinding the tx and rx together, the beeps u hear are the esc counting the number of cells

I tried to rebind and still no luck. The controller/radio will turn the
    Motor left or right but no prop spinning. If I hold down the
    Trigger/throttle for a while, the prop will rotate a quarter turn but
    That's about it. I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions.

Everyone, I was able to take it back to the store and we found the problem. One of
    the electrical cables coming out of engine had a broken connector and once reconnected, I'm
    Back in business. Thank you everyone for help.

Default Maek that 2 new Stilettos - dead and out of the water

Quote Originally Posted by kruegeah View Post
    Everyone, I was able to take it back to the store and we found the problem. One of
    the electrical cables coming out of engine had a broken connector and once reconnected, I'm
    Back in business. Thank you everyone for help.
    I am glad you posted this ... I am having the same issue ... steering, but no motor spinning ... I was able to get it to spin only at full speed, when I change the throttle setting to reverse and the motor runs in reverse ... a broken connection to the motor makes sense ... when you pay $340 for a RTR, it should be RTR, not a pain in the a** ...

I have a Motely Crew which I have been running for a month, and just bought the Stiletto ... the Stilleto instructions, bay design, and technical support are second class compared to Aquacraft and the Motely Crew ... I have messed around with for several hours trying to maintain the Stiletto and set it up to run ... I waited six hours for a return call from Proboat's technical support ... the thumb screws to attach the cover are not lined up properly ... the battery compartment cover is under the steering wires which scrap on the cover ...

I had an issue getting the ESC to bind properly on the Motley Crew ... I sent their support an e-mail and they offered and then expressed a new ESC to me,k no charge ... the manuals are clear and easy for this beginner ... it is truly ready to run with minimum setup ... great support and a great product ... I love my Motely Crew ...

Quote Originally Posted by GoldSeater View Post
    the manuals are clear and easy for this beginner
    I think you got this part right, the Stiletto is NOT a beginner's boat. Maybe Proboat/Horizon hobby should state this more clearly.

I agree with GP73 this boat is not for the beginner, do your research and read the threads on this boat it will never be easy to drive but that the thrill of it your always on the edge.

After I get the motor running and the boat on the water, I am sure I will enjoy it ... I expect it to be a thrill ... I agree the Motley Crew is better for a beginner, but even it requires the user to know a little something about RC before giving it a whirl ... I have been flying copters and planes over the years ... I will be back after I run the Stiletto ...

So here I am again ... after spending another hour and half fiddling with this Stiletto ...
    The ESC will not accept a motor timing adjustment ... it just keeps beeping ... 5 single beeps then 5 double beeps ... apparently when I move the throttle to full brake, nothing happens ...
    I cannot tell if it is the ESC or the transmitter (DX3E) that is not doing the job ... when I switch the throttle reverse on the motor takes off like a bat out of hell ... I turn it off ...

I called Horizon customer service ... they put me in a product support queue for 20 minutes listening to musak ... I hang up
    I call Product Support and select techncial support ... they answer in less than a minute ... ask for a dealer number, I tell them I am a consumer ...
    they send me to the product support queue without giving me a chance to say anything else so here I am 35 minutes later with nothing from this POS hobby company ...

I guess their CEO is the next step to get someone to pay attention ... I am considering burning this boat up and packaging it and sending it to him as my customer satisfaction survey ...

I e-mailed the CEO Saturday and got attention from the COO on Sunday, a call from the Complaint Manager Monday, then their lead tech and problem was resolved quickly ... the Spektrum DXE transmitter throttle trigger was DOA ... I got a new one on Tuesday ... I have binded, tested , and headed to the water today and expect it to be a lot of fun ...