Thread: BlackJack SS Conversion

Default BlackJack SS Conversion

I bought a used BlackJack about 3 weeks ago as my first hobby grade boat and was going to keep it stock
    The first thing i did was get rid of the radio box. Then the next run i sunk it and realized i fried the steering servo and that the spray foam someone put in the front was adsorbing water.
    So i switched to a waterproof servo and scraped out the foam and put in some waterproof foam.
    The next thing to go was the battery trays.
    Well the u-joint finally broke so its time to get rid of the out-drive and i decided to go with the SS hardware.
    Tomorrow i will be sanding the blue paint off to prep for the new glass work and paint job.
    Last edited by Camaroracer; 06-29-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: added battery tray removal

Damage from the previous owner

Just after i got the boat and put a Traxxas 2.4 rx in it

Removed the Rx box and Installed a Traxxas waterproof servo

Took off the stickers and hardware to sand and prep for paint

Congrats on the buy. The BJ26 was my first real FE boat. Be careful, the addiction comes quick.

Tape your hatch all the way around and you will likely never get anything wet again. And you wont lose a hatch. Dont trust those magnets. Clear vinyl electrical tape or hockey tape works very well.

Thanks and i have the addiction already im up to 12 or more rcs.
    I had tape on it just not enough and when the boat skipped the third time it pulled the hatch off and down she went.

I love your hatches btw

Quote Originally Posted by Camaroracer View Post
    Thanks and i have the addiction already im up to 12 or more rcs.
    I had tape on it just not enough and when the boat skipped the third time it pulled the hatch off and down she went.

I love your hatches btw
    Yeah Ive had the addiction since about '86 when I was 10 yrs old. My FE boat addiction began in early 09 and Ive got more than I want to admit to. I sold a bunch of them a few months ago and still have a shelf and rack full. My problem is, I sell one and buy 2.

thanks!

Well i spent 2 hours sanding on the boat and got the first 2 grits done and almost all the blue paint level with the white. Im hoping to get to work on it some more Saturday. There are actually some spots that i have to build up with epoxy or something else.

The hardware came in today

What is the best thing to use as a filler on the fiberglass?

I use a product by Adtech called P-78. Its made specifically for that exact application. Handles flex and what not, unlike some auto body fillers. Ive also used marine-tex and it works well too. And is easier to find locally...

Thanks ill try to find the p-78 tomorrow if i cant ill just order it

Should i leave the liner long or cut it?
    Last edited by Camaroracer; 07-06-2011 at 10:55 PM. Reason: broken link

How does your strut and strut bearing fit with it like that? If it doesn't interfere, you could leave it. Personally I would cut it flush or and eighth out. Leave a little out one or both ends so I can more easily be removed if needed.

It fits perfectly at the end of the flex shaft so ill probably leave it alone for now unless there is a problem with it that way
    Tomorrow i should get all the stuff i need to fill all the holes in and secure the stuffing box./

How far off should i offset the rudder?

I'm doing the same thing right now lol... is the blue hard to get level with the rest of the boat????

not really just use a sanding block and start with 120 and work your way from there
    i used a flexible one from my local auto paint suppler, and always use the block you can to get the best results

its going to be a couple weeks till i can paint it

Well its been more than a few weeks and its still not painted yet but i got the stuffing tube put in and the strut mocked up.
    Where should i place the rudder on this in relation to the inside of the tunnel?

If you don't mind, could you give me a listing of the hardware in the photo...the parts numbers?

Thnaks

Rudder and Strut: BJ26BLSS by Pro Boat (PRB3330)
    Propeller Strut: BJ26BLSS by Pro Boat (PRB3331)
    Flexshaft: BJ26BLSS by Pro Boat (PRB3332)

The stuffing tube is also the stock blackjack part, but it doesn't need to be changed unless yours is worn.

Quote Originally Posted by Camaroracer View Post
    Rudder and Strut: BJ26BLSS by Pro Boat (PRB3330)
    Propeller Strut: BJ26BLSS by Pro Boat (PRB3331)
    Flexshaft: BJ26BLSS by Pro Boat (PRB3332)

The stuffing tube is also the stock blackjack part, but it doesn't need to be changed unless yours is worn.

thanks..Im gonna have to make this conversion soon myself. I also have a Miss Geico that I'm much happier with, but Blackjack has the potential to become a great boat once converted!!

I've made this conversion myself and i was wondering how much power the drive system can handle? I see lots of people upgrading there flex cable and motor coupling alot and would like to know if this is something i might have to do.