Thread: MinicatRacing Samurai motor question

Default MinicatRacing Samurai motor question

I have a Samurai cat from MinicatUsa and it comes with a "Tenshock" 2000Kv motor. Dimension is about 40x60. Being slightly larger than a standard 540-sized brushless motor. I really love the boat but the motor gets quite hot, I am using their stock setup (prop), the only thing different is I am using a Seaking 90A ESC instead of their "Tenshock" brand. The ESC is cool to the touch, only the motor gets hot, anyway by turning the motor I don't feel cogging hence I think at the most it is a 2-pole motor. Want to up grade to at least a 4 pole one. Don't know if Leopard is over kill, speed is not the ultimate goal, I just want a motor that is not over working so it will not burn the motor mount ( laminated plastic? epoxied into the hull). Aquacraft or Proboat will be fine, just want advice,thanks in advance. Tim

Maybe a cc1512 it's about the same size or a1515

Thanks, I will check into that, although I thought that motor is quite a bit longer than the stock one. May be I am wrong, any chance you know the exact length?
    Thanks

1512 40x68 1515 40x75

Also everybody keeps talking about leopards but I havent tried one yet

The CC motors are not cheap. I have a Leopard Gold in my Miss Geico 40x82, 2200Kv, they call it "Nemesis Gold 482" ( FineDesign Rc) it works but I haven't the time to try its full potential, will let you know sometime in the next 2 weeks, hopefully! well, I guess this may not be the right place to post this, sorry.

The motor mount is fiberglass, not plastic. Not sure why the motor is running hot. Have you check for good water flow through the water jacket? Yes, it is a 2 pole motor.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

You are right to question me why the motor is hot: I didn't see any reason for it either: now that I am thinking more about this I suspect it was because the coupler was not completely tight and the friction cause by the motor running faster than the prop shaft generated all the heat, the motor mount was hot and I only checked the motor temp sure wish I had thought of checking the entire front shaft and the coupler. The water was flowing out and I lubed the shaft per your instruction--by the way that blend of half STP and half motor oil works great! I will get back here when I run the Samurai with the new coupler.
    Last edited by tlandauer; 07-01-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Hi Sailr,
    This is to follow up this morning's discussion: I ran the Samurai today and boy was it a pleasure and fast heart beat experience. I ran full throttle for 4 plus min. and brought her in, the motor mount was not hot, just warm. The motor is quite warm to the touch but within reasonable limits so I think with the problem corrected (lose coupler) I will no longer fear the fiberglass motor mount burned! One question, how much slower if I try one smaller size prop? Using stock now, just curious...

Good to hear you found the problem! I suspect you'll lose about 5mph with the smaller prop but not sure. Never tried it!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com