Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my first scratch 38` cat built

Quote Originally Posted by LarrysDrifter View Post
    I ran an X445 to start and was at 62mph and very cool temps. Great set up for your cat. .
    larry how much run time did you get with that setup?

look at what i found while cleaning out the garage
    Attached Images Attached Images

here it is with a base coat ,, the paint waterproofed the wood so i took it out to the lake too see how this baby sits , not a drop of water in side ,next week im going the water sand it till everything is smooth and then im going to spray some other coats of black then some sparkles for the finish.

Default Awesome build!

Love the boat, cant wait to see her under power. Where did you get the plans for this Boat? i'd love to spend a couple months building my own, i've always wanted to take on a project like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Fire View Post
    Love the boat, cant wait to see her under power. Where did you get the plans for this Boat? i'd love to spend a couple months building my own, i've always wanted to take on a project like this.
    thank you , pm replyed

looking forward to this boat on the move i have followed this from the other forum as i have just cut the plans for this build, just hope i can pull this build of but you have made it look simple good man

looks good I also would like to see her run.
    Mark

thank you guys,well it`s very close to running i receved the esc and batts last week now all i need is a motor and prop ,im looking at the new t.p power motor fightercat received recently.

looking good man whats next on your list of things to build

Quote Originally Posted by pound skipper View Post
    looking good man whats next on your list of things to build
    thanks man,nothing really

well got a chance to go to FedEx store and weight the hull, it weighed 3 pounds even with the hatch with out the hatch it weighed 2.75 pounds idk if that is heavy or light for a 37`cat

sorry guys for no updates,im hoping to prep it by this weekend so i can get some airbrushing(hint:maybe flames)done to it ,
    and i have been trying to bend the stuffing tube but have failed twice using a brake line bender ,i was thinking of stuffing it with sand and bending it any advice appreciated .

Here it is right after paint ,color is candy apple red on top,and black on the bottom with metallic flakes,ill put more pic up tmm in the sun when it finshes drieing.

That was very smart to use a PB Miss Geico lid to do the canopy. Considering they're only $12 I bet it made it very easy. That thing should move very well with your power combination. Should turn a 42-45mm prop no problem with the appropriate motor timing. Color looks great too!

Quote Originally Posted by JackBlack26 View Post
    That was very smart to use a PB Miss Geico lid to do the canopy. Considering they're only $12 I bet it made it very easy. That thing should move very well with your power combination. Should turn a 42-45mm prop no problem with the appropriate motor timing. Color looks great too!
    Thanks, the motor changed to a TPOWER 4050(4082) 1610kv and starting with a 445 prop that fightercat sells.
    Last edited by 08gtrking; 11-12-2011 at 11:40 PM.

got more pic of the boat ,i also was able to epoxy the servo and motor mount ,stuffing tube, and mounted the hardware.tomorrow im going to put in water and check for leaks, if no leaks then im going to put it through it`s first run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBX3H...e_gdata_player

I could hit full throttle because the coupler kept slipin when I punched it , any advise on how to fix that problem?

That looks great and seems to run good on those TP's.Some of the guys have been going with the three piece couplers,I think kintec sells them.Not sure if this will remedy the problem.I'd like to say some weak threadlock but you should be pulling it apart regularily.I assume its spinning on the flex.What couplers are they?

Thank you ,the one I have is the v2 coupler from fightercat

Quote Originally Posted by 08gtrking View Post
    Thank you ,the one I have is the v2 coupler from fightercat
    Hope I don't have the same problem.I have twins in my build.

if you solder the end of the flex it is supposed to give better grip, don't know if you've done that?

Quote Originally Posted by Boaterguy View Post
    if you solder the end of the flex it is supposed to give better grip, don't know if you've done that?
    i tried that today and worked wow this baby screams.It had a lot of bouncing once it caught up to speed i think it`s because it needs more weight in the front?

boncing in the front (porpoising) or just the whole boat in a wave like action? on one of my hydro's i had the second one because of too deep a prop and too much angle, it was an extreme though so not sure if that's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaterguy View Post
    boncing in the front (porpoising) or just the whole boat in a wave like action? on one of my hydro's i had the second one because of too deep a prop and too much angle, it was an extreme though so not sure if that's the problem.
    the whole boat in a wave like action and if i would accelerate a bit more it would start to tilt back.The water was glassy

So just the solder and all better?I hadn't heard a definitive answer on that yet.Good to know!With that issue anyways.I would have a tendency to check the strut height.I think a good start would be to make the bottom of the strut level with the sponson bottoms.Put it on a flat surface and true everything to it.After that you can try COG.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    So just the solder and all better?I hadn't heard a definitive answer on that yet.Good to know!With that issue anyways.I would have a tendency to check the strut height.I think a good start would be to make the bottom of the strut level with the sponson bottoms.Put it on a flat surface and true everything to it.After that you can try COG.
    i have the strut level with the sponson bottoms and the batts are all the way up.

You could try it up a little more.It's hard to say since it is your scratch build.It took everyone awhile to get their MG's dialed in but I think now there a good recipe.Just gotta play with the adjustments I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    You could try it up a little more.It's hard to say since it is your scratch build.It took everyone awhile to get their MG's dialed in but I think now there a good recipe.Just gotta play with the adjustments I guess.
    ill see tmm if i can post up a better video

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12