Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my first scratch 38` cat built

Default my first scratch 38` cat built

Well i have already almost finished this build, sense the site i posted the build on (link) is kinda dead i decided to post it here with pics of current progress , i have already ordered the hardware(link) and i want to start to order motor etc.. i would appreciate feed back of my set up for 60 mph+ set up
    motor 4082 1500kv
    esc t180
    batts 3`s series for 6`s
    prop going to start with a x445
    hardware http://cgi.ebay.com/sliver-110mm-rud...item20b7c9b439

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_98..._1/key_/tm.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think the setup is good, KV may be a little high for 6S, but it's gonna be nice.

The kv is fine. That leopard will rock in that boat. Larrys h&m drifter with that same motor was in the 60's running around a x447 or x450, but your smart to start smaller. I also love the 180 speedos, but disable the bec if your gonna run it on 6s. You should have a nice reliable setup there.
    Hpr 115, Neu 1521 1.5d x2. Delta force Pirate, Insane 45" Neu 2230

Thanks Eric. I ran an X445 to start and was at 62mph and very cool temps. Great set up for your cat. Again, another misleading comment by an inexperienced member.( Not Johnson ).

Set the center of gravity to 30% and adjust from there. You have the perfect combo to meet and exceed your speed goal.

ok thank you guys for replying

Quote Originally Posted by LarrysDrifter View Post
    Set the center of gravity to 30% and adjust from there. You have the perfect combo to meet and exceed your speed goal.
    when you say adjust from a 30% of center of gravity means to adjust every thing inside to balance the boat from 30%? sorry for the dum question
    Last edited by 08gtrking; 06-26-2011 at 01:38 PM.

It means he has it currently set at 30% from the transom. He will adjust depending on the ride attitude of the boat.

You will want to measure from the sponson transom. 30% of 38" = 11.4". Should be a good place to start.
    Hpr 115, Neu 1521 1.5d x2. Delta force Pirate, Insane 45" Neu 2230

ok i understand now ,well im going to order batts and motor etc.. in about 2 weeks ,this week im going to be sanding the boat down so i can primer it (seal) ,and im gong to create a mold so i can make fiberglass version.

ok i recieved the hardware today shipping was pretty fast but when i put the flex shaft through the shaft holder it hits the rudder looks like a 1/4 shaft instead of a 3/16 and is too long , i contacted the seller lets see what he replys

Loosen the set screw on the drive dog and slide it towards the threaded end. Also be sure to grind a small flat on the prop shaft where the set screw will seat.

Quote Originally Posted by 08gtrking View Post
    ok i recieved the hardware today shipping was pretty fast but when i put the flex shaft through the shaft holder it hits the rudder looks like a 1/4 shaft instead of a 3/16 and is too long , i contacted the seller lets see what he replys
    The strut is in there backwards, the tapered end should point toward the front of the boat and that should fix the clearance problem. But that is weird they would send you a 1/4in setup?
    And good job on the hull!
    Fleet: 55" Quad inline T600 Cigarette boat, Twin Mean Machine, Twin T600 47" mystery mono, 4082 Surge Crusher, 1717 8s Genesis, 4074 Villain, "mini mono", 52" Bonzi, Prather Funcruiser, 2 DPI 3.5cc tunnels, 5' Styrofoam recover barge

[QUOTE=Jacked1;334849]The strut is in there backwards, the tapered end should point toward the front of the boat and that should fix the clearance problem. But that is weird they would send you a 1/4in setup?
    And good job on the hull![/QUOTE
    i feel so dum right now i ,i fliped the strut over and fits perfect and i mesearued the flex shaft and it is the 3/16 thank you sooooo much !!

Don't worry, I've seen more than just you do it, I would have if I wasn't on a forum and read multiple builds.

No problemo, and don't worry I have done a lot worse before. Like forget to install the steering servo before a maden!
    Fleet: 55" Quad inline T600 Cigarette boat, Twin Mean Machine, Twin T600 47" mystery mono, 4082 Surge Crusher, 1717 8s Genesis, 4074 Villain, "mini mono", 52" Bonzi, Prather Funcruiser, 2 DPI 3.5cc tunnels, 5' Styrofoam recover barge

this week i been doing some body work to warped sections so it doesn`t come out when i make the mold this weekend

well i was on fightercats web site lookin to order some stuff and i saw this FighterCat 3740 1760kv Brushless Outrunner motor, do you guys think this will be better than the leopard 4082 1600kv on 6`s ? or should i just stick to the leopard?

well, I've always been interested (obsessed ) with outrunners, they sound pretty cool and keep themselves cooler than an inrunner, although they are harder to cool well. What about the 1580kv one? it's the same size just a different winding.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaterguy View Post
    well, I've always been interested (obsessed ) with outrunners, they sound pretty cool and keep themselves cooler than an inrunner, although they are harder to cool well. What about the 1580kv one? it's the same size just a different winding.
    that one is3730 and can only handle 2700watts the other is 3740 and can handle 3000watts idk if that will make a difference

you guys think if i make the mould and make fiberglass versions of this hull and sell them on the swap shop people would purchase them? honesty appreciated

Honestly, it will depend on a few factors (for me) before I would commit to buy one; final build pictures of inner structure as you plan to ship it, weight numbers, dimensions, price and of course, a video of the completed boat you build running. JMTC

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    Honestly, it will depend on a few factors (for me) before I would commit to buy one; final build pictures of inner structure as you plan to ship it, weight numbers, dimensions, price and of course, a video of the completed boat you build running. JMTC
    thank you for your opinion peregrine,, anyone else

well i decided not to make a mold (to much work) and i wanna see this baby running across the lake already ,, do any of you guys know if clear will seal the hull

Quote Originally Posted by Boaterguy View Post
    Uh..not true. All of my outrunner attempts have been fast but they always run hotter than an in-runner. Lower winds cause that. You just can't cool the darn things and the heat eventually gets to them.

I know you can't cool them, but if you ran both with zero cooling the OR would run much cooler since it moves air around

well here are some pics ,of motor mount inside and sevo mount,and i taped up the strut and ruder mount to see how it looks and it looks like im going to have to mount it very low so the strut can be even with the bottom of the sponsons,if not it wont reach

one more

Quote Originally Posted by 08gtrking View Post
    , do any of you guys know if clear will seal the hull
    bump

Don't know how well it will seal it, but if you're thorough then it most likely will

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast