Thread: Just made my own water pickup for BJ

Default Just made my own water pickup for BJ

I have had my fullers for some time now so I changed out the rudder to make it off set and took off my steering fins and filled in the last step on the BJ... Since I did not want to cut up my fullers stock rudder assembly I went to the LHS and bought a piece of aluminum tube 5/32" and sqeezed in my vise to make the pickup more oblonged to make less drag in the water... Here is acouple of pictures of what I did....P6223239_edited-1.jpgP6223237_edited-1.jpgP6223238_edited-1.JPGP6223236_edited-1.jpgP6223234_edited-1.jpg

Joe

How much did it help to fill your last step in? I've been thinking of doing this myself

It made my boat handle so much better. To me it is a must upgrade on the blackjack. And if you do the upgrade take off the turn fins you will not need them anymore.
    Joe

I see you let the ends run further than the transom. Im assuming this was done for a reason?

I did that to see if it will help keep the nose down in quick throttles and to keep the boat my stable on fast runs.
    Joe

what did u use to fill it in? it looks like plastic and how did u attach it?

You can get plastic the right thickness at your lhs. I used balsa wood that I had. I used an opoxy based
    Resin. I painted the balsa wood first and then used the two part opoxy to attach to fill in the step.