Thread: Safe running temps?

Default Safe running temps?

Hi guys and maybe girls!

not sure if this has been covered, but what temperatures are ok to run at?

I've been careful- only doing 3- 4 minute runs and checking temps. (I've got a temp gun on order) Basically the batteries an esc are slightly warm an the motor can is hotter but still able to touch with out it being too hot.

I don't want to fry anything, so what temps would possibly harm the esc or motor?

Thanks for any help

Tone

Cool

Anything over 150*F is probably as hot as you want to see anything. That doesn't mean an instant failure if you exceed it, but heating up a motor too much will eventually demagnetize it; overheating the ESC will shorten its life, and overheating packs can cause a fire.

The tricky part is getting a representative temperature. Datalogging in 90*F weather shows that the ESC cools quickly; a small ESC can lose around 50 degrees in two minutes after shutdown. Items with larger mass like the motor and cells cool off more slowly. What this means is that by the time you get the boat to shore, untape and measure the temperatures things have cooled off some. You may get a temp gun reading of 135*F on the ESC, but 60 seconds earlier it may have been 150*F.

Bottom line, 135*F is better than 150*F. 180*F is too hot for anything.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thanks Fluid!

Tone