View Poll Results: Which boat do you recommend as a first boat?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Proboat - Impulse 31 Deep-V BL RTR

16 17.98%
  • Proboat - Mystic 29 Catamaran BL RTR

15 16.85%
  • Proboat - Miss Geico 29 BL Catamaran 2.4 RTR

11 12.36%
  • Proboat - Blackjack 26 SS BL Catamaran 2.4 RTR

4 4.49%
  • Proboat - WidowMaker 22 Deep-V 2.4 BL RTR

3 3.37%
  • Proboat - ShockWave 26 Brushless 2.4 RTR

1 1.12%
  • Traxxas - Spartan VXL 6S Brushless 2.4GHz RTR

7 7.87%
  • Traxxas - Villain EX Deep V Racer RTR

2 2.25%
  • Aquacraft - Motley Crew Off-Shore FE Catamaran Boat 2.4GHz

30 33.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Boat?

Question My First Boat?

I am in the process of purchasing my first boat.

I have been advised to avoid nitro as a first boat, so here I am.

My question is which boat to buy?

This was my first boat... The villian

i suggested this because it a great size and a nice deep V... The benefit is you have 2 motors...this is great especially for a Newbie this way if you lose a prop you can still bring it back to shore... plus you can upgrade them I went from stock to slaping in a pair of brushless motors and man this thing is fast and really fun in chop big waves and flat ponds...

Don't waste your time or money on the Widowmaker/Shockwave/Villian and def got get a Spartan unless you want to see fireworks.

Blackjack had it's time in the sun, even though it's been revamped (good thing) there are better options from proboat.

The impulse is going to wicked no doubt, designed by Darin with proven electronics inside of it, it going to be a real winner.

The mystic and geico are the same hull, mystic has upgraded hardware with a different high kv motor and larger esc (same esc/motor in the Stiletto and will be in the Impulse 31) either one is good.

The motley crew handles amazingly and is awesome no doubt.

So with all that being said it comes down to this: The Mystic, Miss Geico, Motley Crew and Impulse 31 will all be good starting points for you. What it comes down to is what you like the most, all 4 will put a smile on your face!
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

I would recommend you build your first boat, you will learn much more than you will from a RTR.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

My shockwave 26 BL caught on fire the 3rd pack

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    I would recommend you build your first boat, you will learn much more than you will from a RTR.
    +1

FighterCatRacing Team CHING BLING - Ching Bling. Brilliant, Advanced Sparkle for your hull.

My son's first boat a few years ago was a Proboat Fastech-- I really liked this boat-- solid hull and power system. Only downside was inability to seal the canopy (even with tape) due to the funky canopy design-- although since the hull was so dang stable I've only seen it capsize once... Their new 31" mono looks awesome!

Chief

Thank you for the feedback. It will come in very handy.

A couple of things to add:

Which is more stable in rough water? V hull, or Cat?

P.S. - I would love to build my own boat, but I would prefer to have some something that actually floats when put in the water. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by ten64 View Post

A couple of things to add:

P.S. - I would love to build my own boat, but I would prefer to have some something that actually floats when put in the water. LOL!
    V-Hulls are more stable in rough waters.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Just get a UL-1 and step up the learning curve.. You can't go wrong.

Aquacraft has been good to me, I'd go with the Motley Crew. I would go the RTR Route before building as it will help you understand the dynamics involved. You'll probably want to to start upgrading with props, bigger motors, larger speed controls, so on and so forth util you've caught the bug that most everyone on these forums has. Think of the OSE forums as a boaters anonymous =) I agree with Diesel however, can't go wrong with either 4 of the ones he suggested.

+1 on Motley Crew. Very impressive handling boat!
    Aeromarine Challenger,Warehouse hobbies Man O War, Traxxas Blast Rescue Rig, AQ UL-1 Yellow, BE REVO,T-Maxx, Vorza, Baja5B, and the latest addition Baja5T, Wife's gunna keel mee!

ANything from proboat is a good choice.

I say the UL-1 - it's a very exciting first boat.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Quote Originally Posted by ten64 View Post

This is a very wise question and you have the answer by Diesel6401.
    If you are going to play in the sea i believe like Diesel that the V hulls are better then cats.
    Avoid the blackjack 26 it is not a forgiving boat.I prefer the miss geico or mystic.

The Proboat Mystic. No contest!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

hey guys,im new to the site,im finding myself wanting to learn more about fast electric boats hence why i joined...im currently bidding on a shockwave 26 on ebay but after seeing the polls, im reluctant to carry on bidding as it doesnt seem very popular,is it really not a good starting off boat? would love the miss geico or mystic 29 but being from uk there doesnt seem to be many distributors over here that sell the range of boats you have in the U.S,so im stuck for what i can get

I started with the Proboat Impulse, still running it regularly. That led me to other boats, motors, esc's etc. When I have problems with the other boats (often it seems) the impulse is always up to some runs.

My first boat was the proboat blackjack26 brushless.. I have modded the heck out of it with mostly my time and little money. But I would go with the mystic now for my first choice boat..

Have not seen a motley crew in person though I here they are great but I own a miss geico that is my thrasher and the boat has been a trooper. Have had numerous collisions with other boats have burned up multiple electronics but the boat always comes back with some money of course.

ProBoat

the ul-1 is an awesome starter boat... I have 2 of them... The mystic is probably the next.... they are all great boats that diesel spoke about but you gotta pick the one that you want... watch some youtube clips or something

Who voted Spartan? LOL

For the money, the Apparition with some mods is a good all around FE boat.

How is a 5 minute run time a problem with the Motley Crew?

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    How is a 5 minute run time a problem with the Motley Crew?
    Maybe not for you young fellers, but after about 4 minutes of running the way I drive, my heart is racing, I'm out of breath, and my eyes are bugged out like a stomped on toad frog.
    I kinda look like this, only less hair.

My first FAST ELECTRIC boat was the Pursuit. You can buy some good ARTR packages from OSE and Kintec. It's really easy to handle, turns on a dime.
    Everything that has a beginning, has an End

I have had no problems with my new Spartan and have had no problems with my Motley Crew... honestly they both handle great... as for set up the MC is very easy... the spartan is a little tricky for a newb due to the ESC set up process....
    Lakeside entertainer

if you havent bought a boat yet i will definitly say keep it simple, and i dont think building your first boat is a great idea imo. it is better to get hobby grade rtr if it is in your budget. this will let you see how things are supposto be installed and teach you the simple things first. once you get comfortable with tuning and fixing/maintaining your boat it is a gret idea to build one just take your time you are gonna be excited and want to get it done by rushing it. you need to decide weather you want a cat or a mono. as for rtr's the motley crew is a great boat to start with i have one of my own. the impulse is a great mono as well a few buddies of mine have them.
    thanks and good luck
    chris genovese

I am just starting to get into rc boating. which boat is cheaper to run? impulse 31, miss geico, mystic, montley crew. Also which one is easier to get set up and to understand the directions? Trying to figure out which boat I want. It was montley crew but now leaning on impulse 31. Any help will help. Thanks :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast