Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minicat Velocity Cat-New

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    It's not the Velocity 30A's that were blowing, it was the Tenshock esc's in the Micro Hydro and Starship. Somehow this got into the wrong thread. You guys can argue all you want. The fact is, and I sell the stuff, that anything over 25C used to blow the 30's!~ OK? I don't care why, I just know it did. Now with the new 40A's in the Micro Hydro, STarship and Mini ECO, it doesn't seem to be such a problem.

Let's put this conversation to bed. Nobody is ever going to agree.
    lets get back on the task at hand.

The only way that a higher C battery will blow an ESC when a lower C pack didn't is when the motor wants more juice than the battery can supply, and the amount it wants is enough to blow the ESC. When you give it a battery that can supply that amount of power the ESC can't take it.

On the other hand, your batteries aren't going to last long at all if the motor is constantly trying to draw more current than they can deliver, AND it can also blow an ESC with the ripple currents.

The ESC should be able to handle more amps than the motor will want, and the batteries should be happy delivering more amps than the ESC can handle, that way everything is happy running together.

As for needing a 60a esc in something this small, thats overkill unless you're way over propped on a high kv motor.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak.

Maiden voyage today in the canal, I ran a 2200mAh 25c pack and the boat is a screamer, thanks Jim! It also self righted twice (hatch was taped, but I haven't put foam in yet). No videos as I didn't have a helper. (edit)-Jim, what would you do to improve top end performance of the boat? Thanks. :)

Decals arrived today too. :D

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Phaleronic; 07-01-2011 at 01:35 AM.

Good to hear she's running good for you! I'm surprised it self-righted as the cat really isn't designed to do that like the Velocity Mono will.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Sailr, as you recall I have purchased a Mini Eco from you sometime ago. I have been running a sky lipo 3000 mAh 30c/ 60c burst. I have had no issues with the esc blowing. The temps stay around 100f. I think the esc it's self doesn't care about the "C" ratings. Its more the caps not being able to cop with voltage changes while running the boat. If you use a lower C rated battery the voltage changes will be larger (= more heat) then if you used a higher C rated battery (= less heat). I add caps to my MeanMachine's esc to cop with this voltage change and it brings down the temps on the caps as well. That being said, the 45c lipos are going to have less of a voltage change, so why are they blowing? What part on the esc is going up in smoke? Also take into consideration that the new 4 pole motors are going to be way more efficient then the 2 pole motors. Repeated on/off throttle also causes extra heat in the caps. Let me throw another brain teaser at you, if I were to use a 25c 2200mAh lipo, that would be 55 amps continuous, which is higher than the 30A, or the 40A for that matter, rating of the two esc's in question. Lets take this a step further, the burst of those lipos is likely to be at or above the 30c mark (depending on the lipo of course), so what is causing the problem? It is for these reasons that I cannot see the "C" rating being the cause for the esc's magic smoke. I hope someone else can give a better insight because this is an interesting discussion.
    Apples and Oranges! The C rating determines what the battery is capable of delivering. It has nothing to do with what the motor is going to draw or the esc is going to react to. Regardless of the C rating of the battery, 25A draw from the motor is still 25A!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

That's right, if a motor is only pulling 25a through a 30a esc, it does not metter if you use a better and higher c rated batter... it won't blow
    If the esc does blow, something is up and it has nothing to do with higher c rated packs...
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Ah Jeeeez! One more time. The initial surge out of the higher C rated packs blow the FETs in the original 30A Tenshocks. Forget it, I'm tired of arguing about it. The FACT is it happens. I don't give a rat's behind why!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

initial surge?????
    like you said, the motor will only pull what it needs, you wont have a HUGE sure if the motor does not need it!!
    if it's only pulling 25amps then that's all it's pulling
    lots of esc's out there that handle way more amps than what is posted on them and they can take High C rated packs without any issues at all
    Ah Jeeeez! sounds more like junk caps than anything else
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Look, I try to be honest with my customers by telling them that anything above 25C will blow the esc. Junk caps, bad FET's, whatever! We have now fixed the problem. Give it up!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Glad you enjoy our little Cat! The little guys really boogie!

Quote Originally Posted by Phaleronic View Post
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

That thing is COOKIN'! Enjoy that boat, like I enjoy my Eco!

F.Y.I. we have ONE Velocity Cat left in stock at the sale price of $209. We will NOT get any more like this. The boat has been redesigned. Not as cool looking but supposed to be faster/more stabile. I can't imagine how. WE shall see! We probably will not have those in stock until Late August, early September.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I will post a video of my little v-Cat when I get the drive line issues sorted (self created).

I will say.. It is fast. Mine is almost too fast.

I am running the following:
    ESC 120 amp
    Stock 3000kv 2 pole motor (no heat issues)
    6S 45-60c 1350 mah
    stock prop

Best speed on radar was 64 mph (no where near WOT), next pass i twisted the stock drive line when I went WOT at 55mph. It held for 3 days of test/ tune / play.

Video coming soon.

Due to my addiction i also picked up the last Samurai. I will tinker with it and see what come up. Im thinking 12S and a hydra HV 240.........

You're revving that stock motor to about 65k rpm? The 120a esc is probably overkill since your battery can only give 60a happily.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak.

I agree in it being over kill, but it was on shelf here in the shed so it went in. Better wet than collecting dust I say!

And yes 66,600 free rpm.

You will blow the Samurai motor in less than a minute if you try to run it on 12S. No warranty on anything over 4S on that motor. I still can't believe the velocity motor has held up at 6S.

I forgot to enclose the instructions with your Samurai. You can download them here:
    http://minicatracingusa.com/images/i...aiinstruct.pdf
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

We are down to two Velocity Cats. They are being discontinued. We will continue to have parts for them.

A new series of small cat and mono will be coming in later this summer. Totally new designs. They will be the "Dominator" series.

Also a new mono, the "Flash V-28", will be added later this summer. 24" (hull length) 28" including rudder, etc.

Stay tuned for news!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

keep me posted, Im working on a collection. :)

Sailr, I have to smile over here, I have seen you having this same conversation over and over on the amp/c rating issue. Seems like no one seems to want to believe you...even though you have been selling the boats for years now and know exactly what works and does not work. Keep up the patience. Maybe you just gather all the other links that are just like this one and post them for those who are new to the boat. Best of luck....kinda like the movie Groundhog Day...

Haha. Thanks. Yeah, everybody but me knows everything. Oh well!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Thats how it goes man, lol Wife just called said I have a box from Florida at the house.....

Wonder what it could be.... :)

sailr what would you recommend as a motor upgrade? i will be running min 6s 2p. But they are tiny 1350 mah so they are only a couple of oz heaver than my zippy 3s 2500mah pacs. Im not looking for run time, i want all out drag speed. Will be running it on 3s 2p in parallel at first light with my hk 120a esc.

6S may burn up the original motor but not sure. Never tried it. Not sure what to recommend. I don't think a NEU 1515/1Y will fit in the boat. Maybe try one of the Leopard motors of similar physical size as the original motor. With your setup you're only going to have 2700mAh! Whatever you put in the boat will probably be drawing around 100A as it is a submerged prop. Hope you don't want to run long! That setup will give you about 1.6 minutes. You'll need at LEAST 40C packs to be able to deliver 108A continuous.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Looks like I stirred up a hornets' nest. :P

I'm really digging the boat Jim, thanks again! I would like a bit more topend on the cat, what do you recommend? I'm still running the 3s 2200mAh packs. I did put some decals on the boat, but I will need to redo them since they're off and I didn't have my good knife to cut them with.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Sontag View Post
    I will post a video of my little v-Cat when I get the drive line issues sorted (self created).

I will say.. It is fast. Mine is almost too fast.

I am running the following:
    ESC 120 amp
    Stock 3000kv 2 pole motor (no heat issues)
    6S 45-60c 1350 mah
    stock prop
    Best speed on radar was 64 mph (no where near WOT), next pass i twisted the stock drive line when I went WOT at 55mph. It held for 3 days of test/ tune / play.
    Video coming soon.
    Due to my addiction i also picked up the last Samurai. I will tinker with it and see what come up. Im thinking 12S and a hydra HV 240.........
    Love to see that video!

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Love to see that video!
    Me too :)

The boats are designed around certain parameters including how many cells, prop, etc. We have never tried to hop one up as they run great right out of the box! Have you tried moving the battery back just slightly, like 1/4-1/2"? That will bring the bow up and possibly give you more speed but it could also cause it to get airborne and flip more easily. I really can't recommend anything else. 35-40mph is pretty fast for 17"!

Looks like I stirred up a hornets' nest. :P

I'm really digging the boat Jim, thanks again! I would like a bit more topend on the cat, what do you recommend? I'm still running the 3s 2200mAh packs. I did put some decals on the boat, but I will need to redo them since they're off and I didn't have my good knife to cut them with.

Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    The boats are designed around certain parameters including how many cells, prop, etc. We have never tried to hop one up as they run great right out of the box! Have you tried moving the battery back just slightly, like 1/4-1/2"? That will bring the bow up and possibly give you more speed but it could also cause it to get airborne and flip more easily. I really can't recommend anything else. 35-40mph is pretty fast for 17"!
    I haven't moved the battery around, I'll give it a shot, thanks Jim.

Moving the pack back a half inch didn't do much. Anyone try different props on this boat?

It's that time of season again. :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12