Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minicat Velocity Cat-New

Default Minicat Velocity Cat-New

Hey fellas,

I just received my new Velocity Cat and I'm impressed. I do have one issue though and that is a penny sized area of spider cracks on the left side of the hull (i'm attaching pictures). EDIT-Jim and crew were responsive and offered to rectify the crack situation promptly, they really do help the customer as much as possible.

I have a few questions though. I have my old Futaba Magnum FP-T3PG that I'd like to use in the boat, but I need a new battery pack for the transmitter (can't find either on ebay)-and charger, and a new micro receiver. Also, what brand and rating of battery should I pick up for this thing?

Some pics:

Cracks:

Thanks for any help in advance! :)
    Last edited by Phaleronic; 06-22-2011 at 12:05 AM.

see if this fits, I have this in the mini eco from minicatracing http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl3000-3s1p-30c-3333.html

I am building one from a hull and hardware I think most people are using 3s 2200 mAh batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    see if this fits, I have this in the mini eco from minicatracing http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl3000-3s1p-30c-3333.html
    Great, thank you for the link, I'll give them a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexgar View Post
    I am building one from a hull and hardware I think most people are using 3s 2200 mAh batteries
    The directions give a maximum of 2200 mAh for the boat, what happens if I push a higher rated battery (motor burnout)?

A larger mAh rating will only give a longer run time. Think of mAh as the "gas tank" in your car. I would take some measurements to see if the lipo I suggested will fit.

I think it's more of a size restriction these boats are tight for space

These are designed to use 3s 20c-25c lipo, Any higher on c rating & you risk damaging the esc. sailr on this forum is the best one to speak to on any of the Minicat Racing boats. Or get in touch with them. Martin.

A larger mAh rating will only give a longer run time. Think of mAh as the "gas tank" in your car. I would take some measurements to see if the lipo I suggested will fit.
    Got it, I'll take some measurements tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexgar View Post
    I think it's more of a size restriction these boats are tight for space
    Thanks for the feedback Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    These are designed to use 3s 20c-25c lipo, Any higher on c rating & you risk damaging the esc. sailr on this forum is the best one to speak to on any of the Minicat Racing boats. Or get in touch with them. Martin.

I'm talking to Jim about the cracks, I'll ask him about the battery threshold too. Thanks Martin.

A higher C rating WILL NOT damage an esc! There is no way possibly for that to happen! If the boat is using battery C rating as a method to limit current draw there is something seriously wrong! The higher the C rating the more amperage the battery is CAPABLE of delivering, not what it's going to try to force into the esc and motor, current draw is determined by the motor and prop not the C rating!
    The higher the C rating the longer your battery will last in terms of charge cycles as it isn't heating up as much or being stressed as much as it is not being discharged as close to its limit.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Sorry, but you are totally wrong! High C rating batteries deliver a very high PUNCH on first use which some FETS and Capacitors cannot withstand. This is from experience, not conjecture! We found this with our older ESC's which were designed back when 20C was the latest and greatest.. Our new ESC's should be able to take them OK but as a precautionary note we recommend staying away from anything more than 25C.

Why do you think people are adding more capacitors to their esc's? You never heard of this until 30-40C batts came on the scene!

Quote Originally Posted by siberianhusky View Post
    A higher C rating WILL NOT damage an esc! There is no way possibly for that to happen! If the boat is using battery C rating as a method to limit current draw there is something seriously wrong! The higher the C rating the more amperage the battery is CAPABLE of delivering, not what it's going to try to force into the esc and motor, current draw is determined by the motor and prop not the C rating!
    The higher the C rating the longer your battery will last in terms of charge cycles as it isn't heating up as much or being stressed as much as it is not being discharged as close to its limit.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

You heard back from us immediately upon contacting us. Too bad you posted this before giving us a chance to make it right to you. You proposed a discount or replacement. You agreed to a certain amount of refund which we have provided to you. Your post makes it sound like we were not responsive. Most on here know our customer service is beyond reproach so we found your premature post a bit puzzling. Your proposed that perhaps it was the esc hitting the boat on the inside during shipping. We took that to heart and now all esc's are bubble wrapped inside the boat before shipping. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by Phaleronic View Post
    Hey fellas,

I just received my new Velocity Cat and I'm impressed. I do have one issue though and that is a penny sized area of spider cracks on the left side of the hull (i'm attaching pictures). I emailed and called minicatracing, but have yet to hear back from them.

I have a few questions though. I have my old Futaba Magnum FP-T3PG that I'd like to use in the boat, but I need a new battery pack for the transmitter (can't find either on ebay)-and charger, and a new micro receiver. Also, what brand and rating of battery should I pick up for this thing?

Some pics:

Cracks:

Thanks for any help in advance! :)
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Sailr is spot on re higher c lipos & you will blow the esc in these boats going higher than 25c. Ask me how i know, I went from 25c to 45c fully understanding i would probably blow the esc as i intended replacing with a better higher amp esc anyway & as expected it blew a few weeks after. Re higher c lipos i went from 25c to 45c & now using 60c & saw higher speeds with each increase in c rating on the same size lipos. Martin.

the C rating will not blow the ESC, the C rating is how much a battery CAN discharge, not how much it WILL discharge.
    Again use the gas tank metaphor. a gas tank with a large nozzle/ hole can put out more fuel, but the gas won't come out on it's own, but the motor will draw a certain amount of gas out of the tank.

I think youll find that the 30amp esc in these boats cannot take the extra amp draw that the motor can draw from the higher c rated battery & ends up blowing the esc. Martin.

a 30 amp esc is small, it should be upgraded to something around 60.

This goes to show that their is a difference between say 25c & 45c on the same set up, The fact that the esc is perfectly happy running a 25c but when you put a 45c it will blow these 30amp esc. I know that for a fact as ive done that on this same motor & esc thats in the Velocity cat & i think Sailr at Minicat Racing has seen enough blown esc returned to him through people using to high c rating. Personaly i use 60amp esc on micro boats on 60c to very good effect as i run a hot set up at 42,000 rpm unloaded turning x632 & x435 Octura. Martin.

Jim refunded some money to compensate for the cracks in the gelcoat, thanks again Jim! Sorry I didn't update this sooner. Jim has been awesome regarding the small crack issue and has been prompt and courteous, a great experience overall.

I'll heed the advice too regarding the batteries.

Our new GII boats have been upgraded to 40A. The 30A never had a problem with the draw from the motor as it only draws about 20-25 amps continuous with spikes to 30. But because the Generation II boats now have a 4 pole, 3200KV motor, we did decide to upgrade to 40A.

We don't have enough of an experience curve yet on the new 40's regarding C ratings. According to the manufacturer, they still recommend no more than 25C. So to err on the side of caution, we're sticking with that. If you have good luck with higher C rated batteries, be sure to let us know.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Boaterguy View Post
    the C rating will not blow the ESC, the C rating is how much a battery CAN discharge, not how much it WILL discharge.
    Again use the gas tank metaphor. a gas tank with a large nozzle/ hole can put out more fuel, but the gas won't come out on it's own, but the motor will draw a certain amount of gas out of the tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaterguy View Post
    a 30 amp esc is small, it should be upgraded to something around 60.

if the esc is not holding with better lipos, then a bigger esc should possibly be used
    maybe just the next size bigger
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Read my post just above yours.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    Read my post just above yours.
    already did before I posted
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Then you saw that we have gone to a 40A rather than the previous 30A (next size bigger)? Not sure I understand your post then?
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Can some one please explain to me that a higher c rating will not blow an esc, When these 30amp esc are ok on 25c but will blow going to 45c. If the higher c rating is only the batterys ability to put out more amps why do these 30amp esc blow when on 45c. Its been mentioned that the 30amp esc is not high enough & the next size should be used, But its high enough when using a 25c & dosnt blow. Martin.

While yes, the higher the C rating, the more the pack can deliver, it is also true that the higher the C rating, the more PUNCH they have out the gate! The initial SURGE is much higher. I'm sure those of you who have used a 25C and then put in a 45C in a given boat can see a huge difference in the initial accelleration! Nothing that mysterious! That is one reason that people have been adding more capacitors to their esc's.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Sailr i know that & so do you as ive gone through 25c to 45c & now 60c with noticable differences in performance. I would like it explained that a higher c rating wont make any difference to blowing an esc as has been said. Martin.

Yeah, me too. Those who say C rating doesn't matter must know something we don't. A lot of the esc manufacturers have not kept up with the advance in batteries. In fact, in China, they rarely run anything more than 25 or 30C I have been told.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Our new GII boats have been upgraded to 40A. The 30A never had a problem with the draw from the motor as it only draws about 20-25 amps continuous with spikes to 30. But because the Generation II boats now have a 4 pole, 3200KV motor, we did decide to upgrade to 40A.

We don't have enough of an experience curve yet on the new 40's regarding C ratings. According to the manufacturer, they still recommend no more than 25C. So to err on the side of caution, we're sticking with that. If you have good luck with higher C rated batteries, be sure to let us know.

Sailr, as you recall I have purchased a Mini Eco from you sometime ago. I have been running a sky lipo 3000 mAh 30c/ 60c burst. I have had no issues with the esc blowing. The temps stay around 100f. I think the esc it's self doesn't care about the "C" ratings. Its more the caps not being able to cop with voltage changes while running the boat. If you use a lower C rated battery the voltage changes will be larger (= more heat) then if you used a higher C rated battery (= less heat). I add caps to my MeanMachine's esc to cop with this voltage change and it brings down the temps on the caps as well. That being said, the 45c lipos are going to have less of a voltage change, so why are they blowing? What part on the esc is going up in smoke? Also take into consideration that the new 4 pole motors are going to be way more efficient then the 2 pole motors. Repeated on/off throttle also causes extra heat in the caps. Let me throw another brain teaser at you, if I were to use a 25c 2200mAh lipo, that would be 55 amps continuous, which is higher than the 30A, or the 40A for that matter, rating of the two esc's in question. Lets take this a step further, the burst of those lipos is likely to be at or above the 30c mark (depending on the lipo of course), so what is causing the problem? It is for these reasons that I cannot see the "C" rating being the cause for the esc's magic smoke. I hope someone else can give a better insight because this is an interesting discussion.

Sailr, as you recall I have purchased a Mini Eco from you sometime ago. I have been running a sky lipo 3000 mAh 30c/ 60c burst. I have had no issues with the esc blowing. The temps stay around 100f. I think the esc it's self doesn't care about the "C" ratings. Its more the caps not being able to cop with voltage changes while running the boat. If you use a lower C rated battery the voltage changes will be larger (= more heat) then if you used a higher C rated battery (= less heat). I add caps to my MeanMachine's esc to cop with this voltage change and it brings down the temps on the caps as well. That being said, the 45c lipos are going to have less of a voltage change, so why are they blowing? What part on the esc is going up in smoke? Also take into consideration that the new 4 pole motors are going to be way more efficient then the 2 pole motors. Repeated on/off throttle also causes extra heat in the caps. Let me throw another brain teaser at you, if I were to use a 25c 2200mAh lipo, that would be 55 amps continuous, which is higher than the 30A, or the 40A for that matter, rating of the two esc's in question. Lets take this a step further, the burst of those lipos is likely to be at or above the 30c mark (depending on the lipo of course), so what is causing the problem? It is for these reasons that I cannot see the "C" rating being the cause for the esc's magic smoke. I hope someone else can give a better insight because this is an interesting discussion.
    That's a really good way to put things
    having a higher C rating can actually lower cap temps!

It's not the Velocity 30A's that were blowing, it was the Tenshock esc's in the Micro Hydro and Starship. Somehow this got into the wrong thread. You guys can argue all you want. The fact is, and I sell the stuff, that anything over 25C used to blow the 30's!~ OK? I don't care why, I just know it did. Now with the new 40A's in the Micro Hydro, STarship and Mini ECO, it doesn't seem to be such a problem.

Let's put this conversation to bed. Nobody is ever going to agree.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast