Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Proboat Impulse 31" Deep Vee

Thank you, wparsons, you helped me (again).

Quote Originally Posted by §Bodo§ View Post
    This looks like a very interesting boat. I´ve got a Traxxas Spartan on backorder, maybe i´ll switch to this mono. Because i´m new to FE-boats, i do not know the reason why the teflon liner goes into the transom in a stuffing tube with much more diameter. I read it is called "wet well liner"? Is this for better cooling of the teflon liner with water or what is the advantage of this? And a second question: This little silver "knob" between the left trim tab and the stuffing tube, is it an outlet for water which will come into the boat?
    Regards Bodo
    I would ditch the spartan and get this one bro
    infact I sold my unran spartan in hopes a new mono would come by way of Aquacraft or Proboat
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

i really like this boat... I wish it was a deeper V... looks good for flat water but on a big lake not sure how it will act?

My P1 KOS is finally running how it should but i was thinking about a spartan but with all the issues I would hate to have to rebuild it from the ground up just to have it run decent...

Quote Originally Posted by MfizzleS62 View Post
    i really like this boat... I wish it was a deeper V... looks good for flat water but on a big lake not sure how it will act?
    The problem with making it a deeper V is that it takes more power to make a deeper V run respectably. This boat was designed to run well with the "P-Limited" power system, but also to be able to handle some decent power upgrades. It handles similarly to a Delta Force or boat of that class, except that it doesn't have the "ride-pad", instead having a true "V" bottom, so it'll actually run a little more stable in rougher water.

As the Product Development Manager for Pro Boat told me when he tested one of the prototypes, setup as I suggested... "It's so stable it's almost boring!" That's easy to fix by raising the tabs and moving the CG back slightly. It's a very tunable boat...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

I'm putting some things up for sale just to roll the cash into this Mono!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Saw this on the tube'. Horizon test run and review. Nothing we don't already know but nice to see it running!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck4ZEPmW9zs
    Go Fast...Turn Right...

Ahem...

BND?

PNP?

RTF only?

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    The problem with making it a deeper V is that it takes more power to make a deeper V run respectably. This boat was designed to run well with the "P-Limited" power system, but also to be able to handle some decent power upgrades. It handles similarly to a Delta Force or boat of that class, except that it doesn't have the "ride-pad", instead having a true "V" bottom, so it'll actually run a little more stable in rougher water.

As the Product Development Manager for Pro Boat told me when he tested one of the prototypes, setup as I suggested... "It's so stable it's almost boring!" That's easy to fix by raising the tabs and moving the CG back slightly. It's a very tunable boat...
    one more question...

will a castle 2200kv motor drop right in? meaning will it bolt onto the motor mount or will i have to change the mount?

Quote Originally Posted by MfizzleS62 View Post
    will a castle 2200kv motor drop right in? meaning will it bolt onto the motor mount or will i have to change the mount?
    Yup... Should drop right in. You may have to adjust the motor mount on it's slotted mounts to get clearance for a longer coupler, if you use one, but it should fit right in.

Yup... Should drop right in. You may have to adjust the motor mount on it's slotted mounts to get clearance for a longer coupler, if you use one, but it should fit right in.
    Darin, I'm thinking of dropping in a Medusa 3670 2300kv motor and run it on 4s

just watched the vid from Horizon,the 31 looks like it'll be a rocket on the water.also said available late July,early August.guess i have to wait an extra month..

wondering what kind of speeds with 8.4 nihms, havnt purchased lipos yet.

I would love to see a race between this Impulse 31" and a 32" Pursuit with the same power for both boats of a CC1515 2200kv on 4s
    I wonder how that would play out....?

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    I would love to see a race between this Impulse 31" and a 32" Pursuit with the same power for both boats of a CC1515 2200kv on 4s
    I wonder how that would play out....?
    That's the same question I have dancing in my head.

Noticed something kinda alarming. Obviously the RTR market is getting better and better and I always read a lot about products I plan on getting and this is no different. I was hoping the manual of this boat would be on the Horizon but nothing yet, which isn't the problem I looked at what they suggested to complete this boat and look at the recommended batteries http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...Category=Basic that horizon is suggesting.

As I new person if horizon has this listed as the proper batteries naturally someone is going to get them http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=DYN1050 needless to say we all know what the results would be if someone ran those batts in the new boat. Darin is there anyway to get Horizon to list some proper batteries for this boat?
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    Noticed something kinda alarming. Obviously the RTR market is getting better and better and I always read a lot about products I plan on getting and this is no different. I was hoping the manual of this boat would be on the Horizon but nothing yet, which isn't the problem I looked at what they suggested to complete this boat and look at the recommended batteries http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...Category=Basic that horizon is suggesting.

As I new person if horizon has this listed as the proper batteries naturally someone is going to get them http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=DYN1050 needless to say we all know what the results would be if someone ran those batts in the new boat. Darin is there anyway to get Horizon to list some proper batteries for this boat?
    I'm not trying to answer for Darin, but taking a wild guess, I'd say that Horizon may be aiming their battery suggestions at the stock rtr crowd, not the "hi/po modded" rtr guys who populate this and other forums. I could just imagine the well-intentioned first-time buyer being somewhat rudely awakened when he finds out how much a good set of lipos and compatible charger cost. Horizon does list some premium packs, but a few of these and a quality charger will cost more than the boat by itself, and there lies the challange for the marketing department which counts on the reasonable for what you get boat package price being more than doubled to get the most out of the boat. Quite a conundrum.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    I'm not trying to answer for Darin, but taking a wild guess, I'd say that Horizon may be aiming their battery suggestions at the stock rtr crowd, not the "hi/po modded" rtr guys who populate this and other forums. I could just imagine the well-intentioned first-time buyer being somewhat rudely awakened when he finds out how much a good set of lipos and compatible charger cost. Horizon does list some premium packs, but a few of these and a quality charger will cost more than the boat by itself, and there lies the challange for the marketing department which counts on the reasonable for what you get boat package price being more than doubled to get the most out of the boat. Quite a conundrum.
    I understand and get that Tony and that's a good answer, but my concern is not over the use of NIMH cells (agree they are a great start for new guys), it's the cells they suggested (1800mah) which was my concern and my point with that question, sorry I didn't get more specific...

Those 1800mah are just not going to cut it, and the new guys are going to be disappointed with the results and running those batteries and something is gonna be damaged because those packs just aren't going to put out enough amps. They could/should have suggested some 5000mah nimh cells if they wanted to go that route.

Just my 2 cents....
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    I understand and get that Tony and that's a good answer, but my concern is not over the use of NIMH cells (agree they are a great start for new guys), it's the cells they suggested (1800mah) which was my concern and my point with that question, sorry I didn't get more specific...

Those 1800mah are just not going to cut it, and the new guys are going to be disappointed with the results and running those batteries and something is gonna be damaged because those packs just aren't going to put out enough amps. They could/should have suggested some 5000mah nimh cells if they wanted to go that route.

Just my 2 cents....
    I don't disagree with your logic. In fact to carry it one step further I'd say that not only will performance be less than optimum, but guessing again I'd say that the first-time boatie may very likely have runtime expectations that would be above and beyond what the 1800 nimh's can supply and overdrawing these packs can easily cause some well-known problems.OTOH when Darin brought the boat to L.A. some time ago I had a chance to observe it and it is a REALLY NICE product
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    I don't disagree with your logic. In fact to carry it one step further I'd say that not only will performance be less than optimum, but guessing again I'd say that the first-time boatie may very likely have runtime expectations that would be above and beyond what the 1800 nimh's can supply and overdrawing these packs can easily cause some well-known problems.OTOH when Darin brought the boat to L.A. some time ago I had a chance to observe it and it is a REALLY NICE product
    It def looks like an AMAZING boat. The RTR market keeps getting better and better. I just would hate to see a new guy grab that boat and those batts and have a bad taste in his mouth.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

darin mentioned that proboat and horizon had a good size shake up of personel......maybe they need to get a few boat guys there to answer the phone.....
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

so what would be the benefit with going with one 4s battery instead of 2 2s in series or 2 4s in parallel?

I'll connect with Pro Boat tomorrow. Might be just a typo in the part number or something. Easily handled.

I'll connect with Pro Boat tomorrow. Might be just a typo in the part number or something. Easily handled.
    Thanks Darin... Would hate to have one of our new members be disappointed in the performance of there new boat over the wrong batteries. Keep the good stuff coming, you and PB are doing some AWESOME things!
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

X2

I contacted Pro Boat and they've updated the recommended batteries... Much more applicable option!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...prodDetailTabs

Very cool Darin. You know, had this been a thread about the Spartan on the traxxas forum, page 3 probably would have just been deleted. Haha Good to see a manufacturer wanting the customer to have the best experience, even if it does cost a sale or two.
    Catching Air!

any more news on this new boat?

so guys what would be the benift to running a single 4s battery

Quote Originally Posted by arp1500 View Post
    so guys what would be the benift to running a single 4s battery
    Less wires/contacts = Less resistance = more Voltage to the motor. Also easier to charge.

On the Impulse 31, there is a long stud in the middle of the battery tray for the battery hold down. I haven't tried doing a lot of testing with a single pack just down one side, so I'm not sure how it would/could balance, but if you wanted to do away with the hold-down, and just rely on Velcro or add some straps, you could remove the stud very easily and open up the battery trays.

Personally, from my experience with this, and other monos, it might make sense to, even if you only need one single 4S pack, to put some balast (maybe a box the same size the 4S pack) on the other side to balance the boat, and also add some weight to help keep the boat on the water at higher speeds. In pretty much EVERY mono I've ever raced, as the speeds increase, you need to add weight to maintain handling. As soon as the hull separates from the water, handling goes to hell. Keeping a portion of the keel in the water, guiding the boat along, really helps handling and stabitlity, and the ability to put the power fully down!

but what i want to know is will the boat handle the castle 2028 on 10s. jk- super sweet boat though, some great stuff coming out

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast