Thread: Any thoughts on battery cooling mods?

Question Any thoughts on battery cooling mods?

I'ts crossed my mind lately about battery cooling mods to the spartan. I took her out again and to my surprise the esc and motor temps were way down after the transom pick up was installed. However the batteries, stock 8.4's nihm's, were a bit warm. Didnt get on her much but was experimenting with battery position and the trim tab reinforcements. Could the higher than what I would think temps be due to the running in and out while changing things up?

How are your batteries put together? and what size wires and connectors?
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

I just posted about the stock Power Cell NIMH's getting hot with my Spartan too. Mine have reached 150*, not sure if that will hurt them or not, but they are to hot to keep hold off for very long. I wondered if anyone else has expirienced this.

Cool

Battery cooling has never been practical. The only system I ever saw that worked was mounting nickel packs under a rigger hull in contact with the water at rest. Water and LiPos don't mix well and without direct water contact with the cells, cooling is minimal. For cooler packs, get cells with low IR/high C ratings. More effective and you get more power at the same time.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I race offroad cars, and we have found that output on a lipo is better when it is warm, in fact there are rules in place for carpet oval racers specifically banning heating their batteries.. 90 degrees is perfectly fine, won't harm the cells, and will produce better power.. unless I was seeing them get past that I wouldn't consider cooling as beneficial. 150 F is pretty stinkin warm though.
    en hobbies & more.

That is good info Doug but he is running Sub C NIMH
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

doh. The C comment must have thrown me off.. Id recommend getting some lipos then :)
    en hobbies & more.

I'm seeing high temps on my lipos as well....Thunder Power 5300mah 65c 3s. The temps are 100+ scares me to even run this boat for fear of and the loss of 400$ worth of lipos It does look pretty sweet though, sitting on the stand I made for it

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Battery cooling has never been practical. The only system I ever saw that worked was mounting nickel packs under a rigger hull in contact with the water at rest. Water and LiPos don't mix well and without direct water contact with the cells, cooling is minimal. For cooler packs, get cells with low IR/high C ratings. More effective and you get more power at the same time.

I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by Champy View Post
    I'm seeing high temps on my lipos as well....Thunder Power 5300mah 65c 3s. The temps are 100+ scares me to even run this boat for fear of and the loss of 400$ worth of lipos It does look pretty sweet though, sitting on the stand I made for it
    I believe you are safe upto 140* on lipos
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s