Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LSO Geico makeover

Default LSO Geico makeover

Im actually making over two of these, but this ones first. I run this one in LSO w/ the local club. I decided I was tired of the tight fit that 4S2P brings and getting the batteries to release sometimes is not fun, breaks trays etc etc. I thought it would be easier if I removed the wood and just installed a simple new motor mount. well, it ended up like this. I also started blue printing the ride pads today....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice, pleez provide a part list if you use some nice hop ups. And for the truing, what stuff do you use ?
    Drammen rock City

nice
    Tenshock Electra Twin
    Vortex Hydro 24'

Nice work Scott!

Looking good bud.....
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Thanks for the compliments. Just about finished. Couple things to "touch up" but I hope to get her wet tomorrow.

Maxmekker, the motor mount, servo mount and batt trays are from Ben at Fightercat racing. And I used the Octura stand offs to do the offset. (that was done quite a while ago) The filler I used is from Adtech. Its called P-78. Stuff is awesome, sands super easy, is super strong and lays down very nice w/ minimal "spotting". I did this in one coat. Start to finish was about 45 minutes.

Ignore the color, its good from far but far from good. I mixed a small batch of color to do some touch ups, nics etc, a while back but wasnt enough to shoot the blue printed sponsons, so I just used a combo of 2 colors, one over the other to get it close. As long as it stays wet side down on the water, it matches perfectly

Hi Scott,

Did you use Carbon Fiber or Carbon Kevlar in the hull? I noticed that Kintec sells both so I was wondering what would be better to use?

http://kintecracing.com/Building_Supplies.html

Also, are you using the stock servo in that setup? The hull looks bada$$!

Thanks man!

Pete

Hey Pete. I used CF in this one. Ive used both, the Kevlar is a bit more rigid but still possible to work with. To update you on a conversation we started via PM a week or so ago, Ive got an order of CF coming in this week. Should be here by Wednesday Id think. I can add a piece in w/ your hatch if youd like. I also finally got the frame mold done yesterday and will be laying up your part today, so everything will be ready to ship mid/ late week. And yes, Im using the stock servo. Thanks for the compliment.
    -Scott

EDIT: Oh, and I may have enough blue/ black Kevlar to do one if you want me to check. But again, its a bit harder to work with. Not much, just a little. And when it wets out it becomes much darker than it is when dry, so its more like dark blue/ black.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Hey Pete. I used CF in this one. Ive used both, the Kevlar is a bit more rigid but still possible to work with. To update you on a conversation we started via PM a week or so ago, Ive got an order of CF coming in this week. Should be here by Wednesday Id think. I can add a piece in w/ your hatch if youd like. I also finally got the frame mold done yesterday and will be laying up your part today, so everything will be ready to ship mid/ late week. And yes, Im using the stock servo. Thanks for the compliment.
    -Scott

EDIT: Oh, and I may have enough blue/ black Kevlar to do one if you want me to check. But again, its a bit harder to work with. Not much, just a little. And when it wets out it becomes much darker than it is when dry, so its more like dark blue/ black.
    I think since this is my first try at laying down carbon I would like the normal carbon fiber especially if its a little easier to lay down. Please add a piece of CF, that would be awesome. Just let me know what I owe you whenever you are ready to ship (no rush) and I will send you a PP payment.

Thank you!

Pete

A finishing touch to allow it to stand out from the other one or two that may be on the course....

bring it...i am ready lol
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Excilent work as usaul Scott,, looks alsume, did you respray yours with clear, its very shinny like it should be,, mine isnt very shinny not like that for sure,, i was also thinking of putting my seaking 120a esc in mine and giving it a try,,oh and my rudder bracket thingy seams to work well she sits wright down now but i think the lower part of my brackets drag in the water,,,

Thanks Jerry. I did not re clear it although I thought about it. Fore some reason that pic makes the factory finish look better than it is. Only areas I cleared were areas I painted. As for your brackets, id think once your moving they will not be dragging at all. Swap that esc out and throw on an M445.. it will be a whole new boat

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Im actually making over two of these, but this ones first. I run this one in LSO w/ the local club. I decided I was tired of the tight fit that 4S2P brings and getting the batteries to release sometimes is not fun, breaks trays etc etc. I thought it would be easier if I removed the wood and just installed a simple new motor mount. well, it ended up like this. I also started blue printing the ride pads today....
    What are you using for battery trays to hold in the 4S batteries? They look different from stock.

Thank you!

Pete

Edit: Nevermind, I see that you posted you are using Fightercat ones. Sorry about that!

Hmmm dont have that prop but i do have a octura x447 or is that to big,,maybe ill just order the m445..

No worries Pete

Jerry, id go m445. 47 may build more heat and definitley will puff your packs even more. You may want to go 4s2p as well. I've run mine 1p with the 445 but it likes 2p a whole lot more

Crap, i just orderd a new set of 2s1p yesterday cuz i thought mine where puffing cuz they where getting to old or something,, well ges ill start looking for 2p's my wife going to kill me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HYDROJERRY View Post
    Crap, i just orderd a new set of 2s1p yesterday cuz i thought mine where puffing cuz they where getting to old or something,, well ges ill start looking for 2p's my wife going to kill me!!!
    Could just get another set of the 2S packs you got and wire them in series, then parallel them back out. I do something similar in my HPR to run 5S per side as I dont have 5S batts, but series up a 2 and a 3 and whallaa 5S. But in your case it would be a couple extra bullets as youd have to then parallel it back out to the esc. Just a suggestion rather than spending more $$$ on new 4S packs.

so something like this would work(make shorter wires ofcoz)if you don't want to permanently 'glue' them together ?
    (and yes I have 4x 2s and 4x 3s same brand C and mAh)

May give the boat the weight it need's to settle down ?

And T man, can I ask what setup you have on the video 'geico racing' in you're signature? Runs smooth.
    Drammen rock City

Whow that looks confuseing!!! and so your showing one set inthe pics but would have another set coming off the y- part then the sinlge plug hooking to the esc!!!! How in the hell do you guys figure this stuff out, that just looks crazy!!!no offense,,,if it works it works i gess..

hold on I will get another set of pic's

1 : the parts
    2: in Serie, making 2x 2s 4000mah one 4s 4000 mah.
    3 in parallel. Makin 2x 2s 4000mah one 2s 8000 mah
    4: how to combine on 2s+ one 3s in series on each side of the boat, then making them parallell to the esc, for a total of 1x 5s 8000mah.(you would have to make one series connection on the other set of lipos ofcoz, I only have one)
    do correct me if I'm way off here.

thanks 4 the setup. I will get the m445 asap if kintec ore fun rc boat has it. Ore anybody else you folks would recommend to buy props. I would like to have the 42x55 to, but it's out of stock.
    Last edited by maxmekker; 06-15-2011 at 05:53 PM.
    Drammen rock City

Heres how I do it. I made parallel adapters w/ 5.5 bullets.

Pic one, two sets of batteries (2S) in series to make 4S each, then uses these adaptors (pic 2), and plug it into the 5.5s you will install on your esc. Pic 3 (not plugged in though)
    Super easy, super clean.. Dont let yourself get confused Jerry. You know how to do this. I know youve seriesd, and I think youve paralleled, now just put the two together. Just think about it one step at a time and its easy.

that's a clean wire setup.
    Drammen rock City

Quote Originally Posted by maxmekker View Post
    that's a clean wire setup.
    Keepin it simple w/ as least amount of connections as possible.

AND it keeps the to a minimum

Now that is frickin COOL,,, ive never seen that before,, so this will keep the 14.8+ the higher run time or just the higher run time??? plus where did you get the adaptors or did you make them,,

Yes, bc its paralleled, it stays at 14.8 but your mah doubles so your runtime increases. I made the adaptors. Used the OSE 5.5s and stick a small piece of k&s solid brass thru the holes to keep it all lined up. Then solder it all together and file the sides smooth where the solid brass sticks out the sides. Then cover it in shrink wrap

Very cool Scott,, gess i need to order somemore 5.5s now!!!! and i see you have the stockesc in the pics, will i need to change to the 120 or can i use the mg esc,,i will order both the prop and the connectors tonight..
    PS thank you also for helping Maxmekker!!!!

I use the 120. I just showed that one bc it way loose in the parts box. You can use the stocker though to start out with. Darin had a lot of luck pushing its limits. I'm just not one who likes to risk it, hence the 120.

Yeah i think your wright!!! ''O'' sorry for messing up your thread,, i took some vids hope to get them on here some time tonight,,thanks again for the info im going to save your pics to my computer so i can remember how its done..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast