Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting the "Small Bolt"....

Default Thinking about getting the "Small Bolt"....

I just want a fun little boat to bash around with. I have seen one run at my local lake and it looked good stock. Just wondering what everyone thought about this little hydro. Is it hard to flip? Strong hull?

Dan-O

Let me answer both questions at once.

NO

It flips fairly easy. Its a small boat and its a hydro... Needs flat or pretty much flat water. No wind.

Is the hull strong? Not at the seam. Ive seen a few split already. Looks like they are held together with caulk or something...

They are a fun boat but theres a few problems.

1) The drive line isnt the best. Many people are replacing the prop shaft, flex/teflong/stuffing tube, coupler and motor.

2) The motor included is for 4S. Way to slow on 3S

3) Replacement couplers must be made. I dont think theres a stock purchase part that works.

4) Water in the hull. Many people are having this problem. Seems to be getting in past the grease in the stuffing tube.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9752215/tm.htm

I disagree on a couple points.

2) The stock motor works great on 3s if propped accordingly. The 27mm prop it comes with is way too small, but with an x432 or x632 it really wakes it up. IMO running that stock motor and a plastic prop at ~40k rpm isn't a wise choice, plus the increased amp draw through the stock (small) esc.

3) HOR stocks a direct replacement coupler

As far as 15" hydros go, it is pretty stable. Anything that small is going to need smooth water to stay upright.

Quote Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
    I disagree on a couple points.

2) The stock motor works great on 3s if propped accordingly. The 27mm prop it comes with is way too small, but with an x432 or x632 it really wakes it up. IMO running that stock motor and a plastic prop at ~40k rpm isn't a wise choice, plus the increased amp draw through the stock (small) esc.

3) HOR stocks a direct replacement coupler

As far as 15" hydros go, it is pretty stable. Anything that small is going to need smooth water to stay upright.

Dang, looks like that is not that great of an idea. I can't have it flipping all the time. I want something I can run and not worry about it much. I guess a V hull would be better.

Dan-O

It's not *that* easy to flip, I've only flipped mine once in a couple dozen runs AND it landed right side up after rolling.

What kind of conditions are you running in, and how stable do you expect it to be? A mono/v in this size will flip pretty easily as well, the problem is how fast they're going compared to their size.

The only benefit to a v/mono in this size is you can get self-righting ones, but that isn't a guarantee that it'll work every time.

Ha! Bass has had a bad run with this boat, but IMO it wasn't the boat's fault.

1. If you put the lipo on the left side at the sponson, it will cancel out the tendancy to torque roll should it leave the water.
    2. If you don't run into something hard while at speed, the hull/seams will be fine!
    3. There's no need to change any driveline parts. The stock oversized flex shaft is bulletproof! Removing the teflon liner and liberally greasing the shaft will eliminate the binding. Put heat shrink tubing where the flex exits the stuffing tube to keep grease in and water out.
    4. If you run on 4S with the stock motor and a metal 32mm prop, it will be a handful!

Don't let someones bad luck dissuade you, this is a great little boat.
    Legend 36 sailboat, KMB Powerjet Ed Hardy Viper, ABC jet pwrd BBY Oval Master, ABC Hobby Jetski, NQD Tear Into's, HK Discovery 500, MickieBeez pwrd Jet Rigger!, Davette/Gravtix jet sprint, KMB Powerjet Pursuit, NQD pwrd Jet Catamaran!,Steam pwrd African Queen, Sidewinder airboat, Graupner Eco Power

I agree with Sundog... I had one of these last summer and loved it. 4s LiPo and a 31mm plastic prop with everything else stock and was tons of fun.

it is probably the most inexpensive fun boat you could get....i love mine.....
    :canada

Looking back into one again.... Anyone have the Bolt from HOR with the 50A ESC installed? Just wondering if this ESC is worth the extra money or not. http://www.horracing.com/product_inf...roducts_id=278

Dan-O

Lol, their ad starts off saying "16 inch deep V ARTR". This boat can be hard on esc's, especially if you run 4S. 45A etti's and Force controls have given up the magic smoke in these. If it were me, I'd get the Turnigy 60A (Seaking) and be done with it. The HOR ad says it has a turn fin, maybe that and the 50A esc is why the cost is higher.
    Legend 36 sailboat, KMB Powerjet Ed Hardy Viper, ABC jet pwrd BBY Oval Master, ABC Hobby Jetski, NQD Tear Into's, HK Discovery 500, MickieBeez pwrd Jet Rigger!, Davette/Gravtix jet sprint, KMB Powerjet Pursuit, NQD pwrd Jet Catamaran!,Steam pwrd African Queen, Sidewinder airboat, Graupner Eco Power

I would save the $$$ and buy it from HK and just get a new ESC for it.

Default small bolt data

Here's some Eagle tree data... 3s run is all stock with an outrage 2200mah. 25c.
    4s is also all stock with a 1300mah 30c turnigy. Both with the 27mm plastic prop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

To hard to make out anything. Brake the numbers down for us. I havent put my eagle tree into the SB yet as shes always taking on water...

Default small bolt data

It's a picture of the screen. you can zoom in just like a pic. Max amps on 3s was 17.5... Max amps on 4s was 30.55... thats with stock prop. I ran a 31mm plastic prop on 4s it would blow over at WOT.

I'm running an x632 on 3s, and the motor/esc come in warm, but nowhere close to hot.

Quote Originally Posted by spenndog View Post
    It's a picture of the screen. you can zoom in just like a pic. Max amps on 3s was 17.5... Max amps on 4s was 30.55... thats with stock prop. I ran a 31mm plastic prop on 4s it would blow over at WOT.
    Can't zoom in enough to see your results Yes, if you stick with the 27mm plastic prop on 3S you could get along just fine, but who wants to do that!The stock 2600kv motor can handle up to a 32mm prop, but you'll need a decent esc. You might need to tweak your strut angle a bit if it leaps out of the mix. And if you locate the battery up front at the left sponson, it won't have that tendency to roll when it catches air.

^^ I haven't had any issues at all with the stock 2600kv motor, stock ESC and x632 prop on 3s at all.

I run my battery as far forward as I can without interfering with the hatch (3s2200mah packs), and and just slightly to the left. I did adjust my strut quite a bit to get a better angle. It now runs flat and is pretty stable. It takes corners fast unless they're really tight, and only flips in chop if I'm being stupid.

i grantee you that you could get a small bolt to run on somewhat choppy water, did anyone try putting an air-dam in the tunnel??
    too much power not in the FE racing dictionary

Mine isn't at risk of blowing over unless I'm being stupid in choppy water, so I haven't tried. I've never had mine go over backwards, but I have rolled it, cornering too tight at high speed and caught the side of a wave.

What kind of average run time do these get?

Dan-O

Wparsons, what esc came with your Bolt?

I dunno, whatever HK sent with it. It's totally unmarked, just wrapped in some shrink wrapping.

Sounds like what came with mine - black heat shrink, waterproofed with white 'caulking'.

Well, I got a good deal for a red Bolt on fleabay today. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT Had to have it! Looks like it already has a 45A ESC and some floatation. What is the hot setup for these? I have a 1000mah 40c 3S I use in my crawler but I am not sure if that is enough mah for the Bolt. I have read a lot of people that use 31-32mm props also. I am ready to get this sucker on the water!!!

Dan-O

I run a 2200mah 3s in mine, 40a probably isn't enough to keep the motor happy with a 32mm prop. You can get 2200mah 40C 3s packs for like $14 from HK, those would work better.
    Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak.

With the price I paid for it I will not be upset if the ESC smokes. I really want a good 60A like you guys said.

Dan-O

One could of been had off HK for roughly the same price you paid. It wasnt a spectacular deal but not a bad one either.

Im assuming its the standard ESC since its not pictured. Not an etti or anything.

Im running an Etti 45A and a 2040 3600KV with seemingly good results for what run I could get in. Gives slightly more RPM with the stock motor @ 4S power.

Im going to try and seal my stuffing tube up tonight and hopefully get a run in tomorrow weather permitting.

So what prop do I need to order? I am going to start out on 3S but I am sure I will want to try 4S later.

Dan-O

Hi Dan-o

I got one from hor... then once i got it i was a disappointed with the lack of speed and the motor got hot... so all i did was put a short 380 motor in it ( you dont have to change anything ) lathed the collet out a few mill and got a venom 32mm prop and the thing scream's for its size...Im still running the stock esc and a 3s lipo 2200mah 25c...

Here is a link to show you :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWYgmJGYfNc
    HOTR 32" Neu 1515 112 kph / Etti Demon rigger 3s leopard motor / 36" r2 hobbies twin tunnel with leopard 2200kv / Delta force 22 Hydro with dirty 2 pole motor / mini bolt with 380l motor good for about 60 kph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast